cheap, simple washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our washer gets stuck at the spin cycle, wouldn't go any further. (it does all normal until it gets to the spin, then stop...this washer was given to us free, it's really old, and we got 2.5 yrs out of it, so I guess it's to be expected at this point)

I don't know if this is an easy fix or not, so we're looking for a new, simple top-loading washer.

There's one brand called Roper, which I've never heard. it's cheaper than the Whirlpool, the GE and the Westinghouse (@ Lowes) washers, which are all the same price...I feel like like I should get one of the 3 "known" brands, 'cause I've never heard of Roper...despite being about $20 cheaper...

Does anybody know of this brand of washers?
Thanks for any input.

correction: actually the Westringhouse is the same price as the Roper brand, so i guess it makes the decision easier...still curious if anybody knows/used Roper washers, though.

Kenmore I feel gives best bang for the buck. Cheap, simple, and easy. Available at any Sears.
patriot.gif

Yeah, I thought of Kenmore, but Sears, if bought online, won't deliver to where we live, unless thay have it in the nearby store, which doesn't always have a big selection. Lowes, on other hand does deliver to this area, when bought online...
But I'm going to look at the Sears store anyway, I might be lucky to find the basic model there....

Thanks, oil changer.

It appears there is some question on the durability of them.

Epinions

Roper is owned by Whirlpool if I remember correctly, but they are the budget level brand. Reading the reviews it looks like the efficiency isn't all that great either.

If it were my money I'd spend a little more and get a better quality machine-in the long run better quality may save money on energy and water too.

Quote:

Yeah, I thought of Kenmore, but Sears, if bought online, won't deliver to where we live, unless thay have it in the nearby store, which doesn't always have a big selection. Lowes, on other hand does deliver to this area, when bought online...
But I'm going to look at the Sears store anyway, I might be lucky to find the basic model there....

Thanks, oil changer.

A Solution
patriot.gif

Staber appliances are the only way to go. I forget who, but a member on here spoke very highly of them. Made in USA, very rugged, very simple, very efficient, and it is a neato top loading horizontal washer.

http://www.staber.com/

Give it a look... when my stuff dies (it is older, left by the PO, and runs fine), I will be buying these ones.

JMH

Thanks, but I'm looking for a CHEAP one $300 or so...the Staber ones start at $1,199.
someday, yes. but not now. Thanks all the same.

Ropers are very common in apartments and condos. They are cheap. Motherinlaw has had them for years and no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back