New GE washer & dryer

One thing I did not know is that the display of washers and dryers at Lowes is somewhat determined by what the manufacturers pay to have their models displayed. Lowes had few GE models displayed but many Samsung and LG. When I asked why I was told it had to do with manufacturers paying to have their models displayed.

One thing I did not know is that the display of washers and dryers at Lowes is somewhat determined by what the manufacturers pay to have their models displayed. Lowes had few GE models displayed but many Samsung and LG. When I asked why I was told it had to do with manufacturers paying to have their models displayed.
That's how it works in the grocery industry, too.

We replaced an old GE washer & dryer with a new GE washer & dryer. New washer is WIFI enabled and gets occasional software updates.

The reason for starting this thread is to give a big thumbs up for auto detergent dispenser. It's cut our detergent use in half. You tell the machine the brand and specific detergent so it can add the proper amount to each load.

This tells me that we were probably adding 2x what was needed. Wife measures by eye so probably always adds too much.

Too much detergent wastes money, not good for clothes (not all gets rinsed out) and excess detergent gets left in the machine and can cause mold.
Very nice. I had wondered how well these automatic dispensers worked.

Were the appliances in stock when you bought them?

I bought a dryer about a year ago and they said take the floor model or wait 9 months for our next delivery.
We just moved into a new home three weeks ago. We ordered the appliances, washer, dryer, refridgerator. (LG) about 3 weeks ahead of time. They were all in stock (Best Buy and Home Depot) but deliveries themselves can be backed up a week or two. We received ours exactly on time, the day after our closing.

I’m a bit skeptical now that GE Appliances is owned by a Chinese company.
Yes, many people do not know this. I wanted to buy USA Whirlpool (see my above post) but the quality look and feel wasnt there for us. So we chose a Korean company as a second choice and among the highest rates. LOVE the quality feel of the appliances.
With that said. our Builder included high end GE gas cooktop, separate GE dual oven range/microwave/convenction which is pretty wild the way its controlled and GE dishwasher and they look real nice.

Yes, many people do not know this. I wanted to buy USA Whirlpool (see my above post) but the quality look and feel wasnt there for us. So we chose a Korean company as a second choice and among the highest rates. LOVE the quality feel of the appliances.
With that said. our Builder included high end GE gas cooktop, separate GE dual oven range/microwave/convenction which is pretty wild the way its controlled and GE dishwasher and they look real nice.
We had an older whirlpool set from 2002. The washer self destructed. The dryer lasted a while longer. Bought a new whirlpool dryer and we do not like it. Using sensor for most dry and the clothes stuff are damp when the cycle ends. Bed sheets get all twisted up in the dryer. The touch buttons do not always work. Lint gets stuck in the filter pocket more that the older models. And it takes longer to dry.

Basic washer - wife not so happy. Nicer washer - wife happy. I will go for the nicer washer for obvious reasons.
Depends on your circumstances. It’s just wife and I and our basic whirlpool and dryer fits our needs. As your use increases I guess your needs do to. A washer hooked up to Wi-Fi ?. I’m not there yet. But whatever floats your boat. Donald, just curious. How much does a new pair cost? I’m repairing my pair as they go and they‘re on 12 plus years. Replaced the agitator dog ears once and never touched the dryer. Ignitor on 12 years. 🤞

Depends on your circumstances. It’s just wife and I and our basic whirlpool and dryer fits our needs. As your use increases I guess your needs do to. A washer hooked up to Wi-Fi ?. I’m not there yet. But whatever floats your boat. Donald, just curious. How much does a new pair cost? I’m repairing my pair as they go and they‘re on 12 plus years. Replaced the agitator dog ears once and never touched the dryer. Ignitor on 12 years. 🤞
They were middle of the line for GE front loaders. About $1700 for the pair around black Friday sale.

As I said the washing machine banged a lot during spin. Sometimes it would give up on spin. I was considering replacing the 4 shocks for around $200. But no guarantee that would fix the issue. And being close to 20 year old one wonders what might be next. Parts available.

I would not have paid for WIFI but I think that GE wanted to be able to update the software on the washer or dryer and making it WIFI enabled was a good and cheap way to do it.

GE was also on my short list for a new washer & dryer. I do like the auto detergent because I know we probably use to much. In fact I am 100% sure I am the most likely candidate for that.

Was just talking about appliances this week with coworkers. Our 1984 Whirlpool gas dryer broke today. I used it 2002-2023 and replaced the belt about 1 year ago. I could tell it had been done one time before due to strapping tape holding the covers on.

Ordered this online, GE. Wanted knobs, higher capacity, ability to turn off when done, had to be less than 27 1/4" as that's the doorway, and wanted a large number of reviews. Not willing to get extended warranty so hope it will work out....$808 with delivery, install, haul away, sales tax....

Well for us it came down to the people who service appliances working on GE and parts availability. The service for LG and Samsung is disorganized and for us in Sussex County it comes from Philadelphia.
I was afraid that with a max width of 27 1/4" that I was gonna have to choose LG or Samsung with only a couple hundred reviews....glad I came across a GE with knobs....

Back