Changing oil less often is better for your engine - SAE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
The only thing I learned is most car owners around here to not drive under the severe service category.

Do not drive according to or do not follow the severe service OCI?

I would say that if your average is speed is below 45 MPH, you fall under sever service conditions.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Oil filters have also been found to filtrate better after they have seen some use than when they are new.

Not always ... quite a drop in efficiency at 20 microns as the filter loads up in this example. Increased delta-p makes the larger captured particles slough off the media.

Oil Filter Efficiency vs Loading Time.JPG

Is it not true that if you stop at a light, you are placing your car in the "severe service" category? At least city driving is severe service. Which is what most do, in some form or another.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by StevieC
Here is what soot looks like on a Lab Report so you can monitor if it's a concern for your GDI.
(towards the bottom)

Is this the basic or advanced UOA?

I always get the advanced but I'm not sure if you get all of this on the regular one. E-mail him and ask him. He would be happy to reply.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Not an attack Stevie, but this paper has been the most misrepresented paper on the site, and not many people have anted up the $25 to read it...heck, CATERHAM waxed lyrically on how it showed reduced engine wear clearly due to the thinning of the oil, which made it lubricate better...a posit that he defended vehemently, when it was diametrically opposite to what's clearly stated in the paper.

Not taken that way. I appreciate the input here.

Last edited:
Much of the taxi fleets in that study timeframe used Crown Victorias running on propane;

I wonder how that factored into the results. (the propane fuel)

Originally Posted by 390pi
Much of the taxi fleets in that study timeframe used Crown Victorias running on propane;

I wonder how that factored into the results. (the propane fuel)

If that is true and propane fuel was indeed used, it makes a significant impact. Engines on propane and natural gas are much easier on oil due to less or no fuel dilution. The spray into the combustion chamber is a gas not a liquid and the flash point is much lower for propane and methane, vs gasoline.
The gas state fuels will also be naturally cleaner than gasoline.

Last edited:
Natural Gas more so than Propane drive up the nitration of the oil due to the excessive combustion temperatures.

Originally Posted by talest
Is it not true that if you stop at a light, you are placing your car in the "severe service" category? At least city driving is severe service. Which is what most do, in some form or another.
I don't think so. It seems reasonable to assume manufacturers assume a moderate proportion of city driving, including stoplights, in their recommendations for normal service. To claim any city driving at all automatically drops you into "severe" service is an extreme position. Manufacturers are well aware that very few private vehicles will exclusively make non-stop long trips.

Here is what Hyundai considers Severe Service. Basically, everything but constant highway driving thru Kansas:

Severe service.png

My Santa Fe got by just fine not adhering to the Severe Maintenance schedule. I ran it just past the normal OCI but I used a quality fluid and backed it up with a UOA.

Originally Posted by Brigadier
The only thing I learned is most car owners around here to not drive under the severe service category.

I would say that if your average is speed is below 45 MPH, you fall under sever service conditions.

And who are you? Not the OEM which tested and designed my vehicle. How did you come to the conclusion 45MPH? Why not 32? Where is your thousands of hours of research, testing, teardowns, and measuring? There are hundreds of Turbo charged, D.I. Ecoboost in hard service off road in the desert with nothing but 5K generic bulk oil changes with the majority of the hours idleing averaging 400 hours in the OCI. The end result is if the truck has not been totalled out due to a accident it is still on the road and the engine has not been opened up yet. It will be close to 9K hours on the engine before it's retired. Out of hundreds in service which is more demanding then most consumers will even attempt in a F150 less then 3% will have drive train problems.

What your are preaching and it is preaching is hysteria. Anything less than 45MPH average is severe service? Please

And who are you? Not the OEM which tested and designed my vehicle. How did you come to the conclusion 45MPH? Why not 32? Where is your thousands of hours of research, testing, teardowns, and measuring? There are hundreds of Turbo charged, D.I. Ecoboost in hard service off road in the desert with nothing but 5K generic bulk oil changes with the majority of the hours idleing averaging 400 hours in the OCI. The end result is if the truck has not been totalled out due to a accident it is still on the road and the engine has not been opened up yet. It will be close to 9K hours on the engine before it's retired. Out of hundreds in service which is more demanding then most consumers will even attempt in a F150 less then 3% will have drive train problems.

What your are preaching and it is preaching is hysteria. Anything less than 45MPH average is severe service? Please

Then what would you set it at? Just curious....

What does Ford spec as the severe service interval for that engine?

As far as hysteria goes, LOL. I guess I triggered you.....

Looking at my Hyundai's OM and my average speed, seeing how much I sit in traffic, or puttsing along at 35-40 MPH, and how often I am able to get up to 50-60 MPH, it seemed a good threshold to set the non-severe service threshold at 45. Am I preaching this as gospel or my opinion? As my opinion, and that has been stated since the beginning. But I guess that triggered you into thinking I am trying to say this is an absolute.

Have a nice day. Try to chill a bit.

I follow the Owner's manual recommended OCI then with UOA, suggestion from the lab. So far our 3 vehicles OCI is about 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted by anndel
I follow the Owner's manual recommended OCI then with UOA, suggestion from the lab. So far our 3 vehicles OCI is about 15,000 miles.

I do the same. Start with the manual or OLM and then extend out by confirming with a UOA.

I don't do UOA. I figure my driving is bracketed by whatever test conditions they tested. Toyota says OCI at 10,000 miles. Mobil 1 says oil is good for 15,000 miles. Fram says filter is good for 20,000 miles. I'm satisfied 10,000 miles OCI will be fine. Plus, that cartridge filter is a pain to change out compared to an old fashioned can.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Plus, that cartridge filter is a pain to change out compared to an old fashioned can.

That's the reason they went to it.

Cartridge filters are the new thing because it's less waste as it's can be tossed in an incinerator whereas a metal can has to be de-constructed, the can wash and recycled and then the internals incinerated which usually doesn't happen and it just ends up in a landfill. Plus the OE gets to decide and ensure the bypass pressure is maintained properly and not the filter manufacturer which eliminates problems with substandard filters.

Last edited:
Another advantage to a cartridge filer is that the oil change can be done completely from the top eliminating the need to get under the vehicle or use ramps, jacks or lifts. A suction device like a MityVac makes for a very easy change for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back