Chainsaw for Home yard tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Stihl 011av , paid $100 on Craigslist, came with very sturdy case as well. I have cut down trees up to about 16 inch wide with it. Nice and lightweight.

I also bought a Jameson 21 ft polesaw for over head trimming. Works GREAT! About $100 from home depot.

I have 5 chainsaws and each one has a specific use. My Husqvarna Rancher that is nearly 40 years old, still is my go to saw when I have a lot to cut. Next one is a 16" Stihl that I use for smaller jobs and it isnt nearly as fast as the Husky. Works good though and is over 20 years old. Then I have a Poulan Micro 25 counter vibe that is 45 years old and still runs great and is used to cut low enough on the stump so I can mow over it. The next one is a Remington electric with a 12" bar that I use to cut up fallen limbs and firewood. It cuts very fast. Last is a Ryobi pole saw with an 8" bar that I use to lop of limbs and cut big hedges. Each one is best at what I use it for. Heated the house with firewood cut and split for 7 years so the Husky and the Poulan did all of that. You probably need to start with electic if you never owned a saw and cut wood before. Then after you become more confident, the buy one that fits your needs.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I see we don't have a lot of firewood cutters here.

I'm guessing many here don't heat their house with wood or have a steamship.

He asked about a saw "for home yard tasks".

Totally different answer than for "heavy use".

Sort of like "need commuter car" vs. "need pickup truck for heavy towing".

I wouldn't recommend the diesel F-250 Super Duty for a daily commute...so, I wouldn't recommend a big saw for this set of jobs...it would be far more power, expense, and weight than he needs for home yard tasks...

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
OP is in Pakistan so not sure what kind of trees or shrubs they are talking about.

Or for that matter what brands any types of equipment are available there?

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I wouldn't recommend the diesel F-250 Super Duty for a daily commute...so, I wouldn't recommend a big saw for this set of jobs...it would be far more power, expense, and weight than he needs for home yard tasks...

There is some merit in only have one huge saw for very irregular use as you can dice up the 3' dbh oak that fell across your driveway in a storm, and still cut up the odd branch, but only if you know what you are doing. Sure its not ideal for small jobs but if you're only doing them a few times a year, what's it matter.
For a while I only had a husky 372, and for big felling, firewood, and the odd job its a good saw. But when I started cutting white cedar for selling posts I quickly realized I needed a smaller saw to be efficient with all the limbing involved, but if I was only cutting posts for me I'd probably just kept using the 372 for the couple days per decade I need to cut posts.

Let's see, I'm a founding member of the Bothe Forest Practices Group who have responsibility for 1,800 acres of public park lands and clearing trails, removing hazard trees maintaining forest health etc. We do about 30~40 trees a year.

I also cut on our ranch property and do a few cords of fire wood a year. Plus I have a modest chain saw collection housed at the Park for historic saws and some good running modern ones at home. Smallest is a 12v Royobi battery saw with 6" bar and largest is a 100cc Partner with 36" bar slinging a .058 chisel skip chain.

I have a 120v Royobi electric with a real oil tank and gear driven oil pump with 16" bar that runs well and has cut many cords of fire wood when there is power available. The trick to 120v saws is to use a large enough extension cord... They need 12 amps (or more), so you need a #12 wire cord if more than say 30' from the outlet, like say 100' cord or something. Run light winter bar oil with 120v electrics.

A 36v Makita electric battery saw has the same chain speed as most gas saws. For casual cutting and trimming, there is no reason to use anything else. They will swing a 14" bar and cut up to 10" material quite well. If you already have 18v Makita tools, they are no-brainer as they share batteries (2) so it's all good
smile.gif

IF you like 2-stroke gas tools (?), then by all means get a Stihl or a Husqvarna. Get it from a reputable dealer and they will service it for many years if need be. But they are fuel picky, don't like alcohol in gas and will need attention from time to time ...

I have built the odd race saw from time to time. Usually smaller class saws like 75cc or 50cc that turn right up there at 11~14,000 RPM and will CUT
laugh.gif
But they are finicky beasts and they WILL seize. I don't care how much, or what oil you use. They just get to hot, to quick. I've built them on Poulan, Husky, and Dolmar. There are ways to make any brand work ...

If you want a store bought gas saw and you don't have a good dealer close buy (?), Tractor Supply Company (TSC Stores) has Jonsered saws which are part of Husqvarna and run pretty good. They are tough for modern plastic saws ... And any Husky shop can work on them, if need be
smile.gif

But if just casual work - electric is fine
smile.gif

Just get a good one. A cheapie will frustrate you to death ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
OP is in Pakistan so not sure what kind of trees or shrubs they are talking about.

Or for that matter what brands any types of equipment are available there?

+1

Which makes me a bit curious of what chainsaws that I would be familiar with by brand can be found in Pakistan. If any. Didn't catch OP's location at first glance. (If indeed that is where he's from).

Wow...I totally missed the Pakistan part!

I've got no idea what's available for saws, electric, or gasoline, over there...nor do I know what is available fuel...

So, I'm not certain my advice is any good...

Originally Posted By: Daniyal_berry
Hi, I need to buy a chainsaw for my home yard tasks. Can anyone guide me should I go for Gas or battery powered chainsaw or electric one? Also suggest me which brand to follow?
1. How 'big around' are your 'home yard tasks'?
2. Where's 'pakistan'?
3. More info would prevent stray shots...

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I have a 5.0 hp Poulan Pro electric.Its a beast.

5hp does it run on 230volt?

you would need aprox 3700watts to make 5hp.(ignoring all efficiencies etc)

or maybe its that fake hp.. how they rate shop vacs for example.

I have no experience with electric chainsaws, and probably won't anytime soon, as I can't imagine dealing with the inconvenience of dragging around a cord. And the battery versions are still limited in choices. I can buy an awful lot of fuel for the price of a single battery.

For limited use around the house, I would strongly recommend the Stihl MS180. I bought one a few years ago for that very same purpose, and it has served me very well.

Personally, I would shy away from a Husqvarna, unless you plan on going up past the Rancher series. Husky quit making their own lower end chainsaws over a decade ago, and contracts with American Yard Products to make and re-badge these. So if you buy a Husky for less than $500, you are getting the same as a Poulan or Homelite, or such. Husky makes great saws if you go for their upper end.

One little anecdotal story that really impressed me about chainsaws.

After Katrina, I went down to Louisiana to help with cleanup. There was about a hundred of us from our church, and we were all divided into crews to go through neighborhoods and help homeowners clean up their yard. I had an older McCulloch that a friend had let me use, but there was an awful lot of Stihl and Husky saws. Most of the time when we got to a home, two or three crews would join in to make light work of it. At the next home, we may be working with different crews.

We would get to a home, and everyone got out their saws, adjusted chains, checked oil and fuel, cranked them up and went to work. Both the Stihls and Huskys all worked great, making light work of a huge task. And the Husky saws may have had a slight power advantage over the Stihl saws. But when they all ran out of fuel, the Husky saws all had to be adjusted and tinkered with before they could go back to work. however, the guys with Stihl saws just filled them up, double checked chain tension, and went back to work while the Husky saws were still being adjusted. I saw this time after time, yard after yard. And with different crew combinations.

This helped seal the deal for me when I bought my current saw.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

2. Where's 'pakistan'?

Go to India (Southern Asia) and then turn left

Originally Posted By: Astro14

You're right of course Ace carries what they need a Bow saw for under $12.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
2. Where's 'pakistan'?

Are you sure?
How do you know?
Might be in the USA.

I'm surprised at the number of guys who jumped right in without asking for more information...including just where the OP is.....and what he plans on trimming....and if electricity is even available.

Just saying....

Originally Posted By: Linctex
2. Where's 'pakistan'?

Are you sure?
How do you know?
Might be in the USA.

I'm surprised at the number of guys who jumped right in without asking for more information...including just where the OP is.....and what he plans on trimming....and if electricity is even available.

Just saying....

well, the original post says

Originally Posted By: Daniyal_berry
Hi, I need to buy a chainsaw for my home yard tasks. Can anyone guide me should I go for Gas or battery powered chainsaw or electric one? Also suggest me which brand to follow?

They specifically ask if they should get a gas, battery or electric on. Sounds like they have electricity.

No we don't know specifically what "home yard tasks" are, but since cutting down a tree or cutting a yard of firewood was not mentioned, just basic cutting would be implied.

Amazing how the first post from this person has so many replies (both relevant and not so much).

Originally Posted By: blupupher

Amazing how the first post from this person has so many replies (both relevant and not so much).

That is because chainsaws are fun. I am more of an axe guy myself. I have several saws and enjoy collecting them, but I would rather be splitting firewood than bucking it.

For anything 6" or less I would probably just hack at it with a machete instead of dragging out a saw, unless there were several to be cut.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Personally, I would shy away from a Husqvarna, unless you plan on going up past the Rancher series. Husky quit making their own lower end chainsaws over a decade ago, and contracts with American Yard Products to make and re-badge these. So if you buy a Husky for less than $500, you are getting the same as a Poulan or Homelite, or such. Husky makes great saws if you go for their upper end.

Wrong. Husqvarna OWNS Poulan. Poulan makes their low-end saws.

Also wrong- the 435 and 440 are modern dual transfer strato charge saws, they are not redo's from Poulan's lineup, like the 200 series saws are.

As for your anecdote, I don't spend much time adjusting either my Stihl or my Husky. But my Stihl is an out of production top handle pro saw, and I don't recommend something that is a.) hard to find and b.) a bit more dangerous to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back