chainsaw bar oil

Canola oil will work but it will get all over your saw and very few cleaners will break it down. You need to use very harsh solvents to soften it up. On occasion you should be fine though.

👀 I hope to gawd you meant this:

ppt-2620_138533_1000_760d5785a590bc36f9a7e027aafdb724.jpg

Rather than throw it away, I once used some very old olive oil in a decorative bottle I acquired from a family friend. It worked quite well in my cheap Harbor Freight electric chainsaw. I just finished a gallon of Mile Master bar & chain oil. My next one: some SAE 30 I have no use for mixed with some Farm & Fleet bar and chain oil from the 80’s. My trees were hit hard by last week’s ice storm in Texas.

On the cordless electric, I bought last fall, I'm using up qts of 20w50, before that was some 40 yr 50w, Thin oil just uses up quicker.

On the cordless electric, I bought last fall, I'm using up qts of 20w50, before that was some 40 yr 50w, Thin oil just uses up quicker.
I am about out of bar oil and if ACE is instantly sold out of it before I get there for this afternoons delivery I will be using used Mobil 1 5w-30. I'll have to check the oil level. My Poulan needs a bar oil refill with every gas refill.

I am about out of bar oil and if ACE is instantly sold out of it before I get there for this afternoons delivery I will be using used Mobil 1 5w-30. I'll have to check the oil level. My Poulan needs a bar oil refill with every gas refill.
Using used engine oil for bar oil is a bad idea. It gets flung off the bar, it ends up in the air and on your clothing. I've seen times after I've had been blocking up wood for an afternoon and showering at night, have oil residue on my legs from saw dust blowing on my legs and bar oil soaking through my work pants.

I'll use what is available and cheap right down to a drain oil
and if the saws use extra..so what.

I buy the cheapest stuff I can find and turn the oiler all the way up.

Lately it’s whatever Orscheln Farms has. $9 a gallon or so.

Have a neighbor that has a tree service, he only uses canola oil as bar oil. He has multiple saws running all day, must be working.

He has some environmental restrictions when working close to the water, IIRC he stated that he can't use traditional bar oil when working close to the Chesapeake Bay where we live.

Very interesting. What’s his bar and chain life like?

I finally ran out of a gallon of bar oil I had for ages. Pro Select "PREMIUM" made in Shreveport LA. I am using used Mobil 1 5W-30 that has 6000 miles on it. It does not run out quicker than bar oil and the bar is not clogged with sawdust like it was with bar oil. Like bar oil 1 fill up with every fuel fill up. I will use bar oil again when I can find some. Seems like bar oil was $15/gal last month of December 2022. Now it's $25 and up.
l
How about that 2 cycle oil? What is it? I don't see any specification on the different brands. I'm guessing one guy makes it and Sthl, Walkmart and others bottle it. Certainly Sthil does not have their own refinery,

There are B&C oil deals out there if you are patient. I burn and have tree service wood delivered via tri-axle, so I'm cutting a lot.
I just bought four gallons of SunJoe for $7.25ea shipped to my door.
Before that, I stocked up on Harvest King when it was on sale at Runnings.

If anyone has a Rural King near them, I picked up a gallon of cam-2 bar oil a couple of weeks ago for $8.99. It works like anything else I’ve ever used, and it’s almost half the price of everything else available locally

Back