chainsaw bar oil

It says "factory blemished". I would assume that means the jug. Otherwise, it's a good deal and I may buy a couple.
I have purchased many things from them over the years all “blemished” and I have never seen the first thing wrong with any of it. Like, no smears, no off center labels, nothing. I should have said that about the blemished part, but forgot though, thank you!

...How about that 2 cycle oil? What is it? I don't see any specification on the different brands. I'm guessing one guy makes it and Sthl, Walkmart and others bottle it. Certainly Sthil does not have their own refinery,
Actually no, there are many blenders for 2-cycle oils.

2-cycle engine oil by itself is not a good B and C oil because it has little anti-wear chemistry in it, and in my view, it is too expensive for that purpose.

Here is some background info on 2-cycle oils From

Some of you are WAY ovethinking this..I have literally used used 80w, 90w trans fluid 20w 50 30wt, anything in a 92 civic crank case for 100k plus mikes without an issue. I'd worry about something more important than bar oil. I'd use used oil for bar oil in a heartbeat. Then go about my life and worry about real things.

What is the suggested chainsaw bar oil? I bought a gallon of "Natural, Organic" stuff a few years ago. Really stiff like 90 weith gear oil when cold. How about Used Mobil 1 5w-30? very clean, got very good report from oil analysis.
i use echo or husq

The used 3w-30 Mobil1 works just fine. Not a lot slinging off onto everything as earlier reported. My neighbor has been using it with his Stihl for years.

I ran out of penetrating spray can oil and substituted the used Mobil1. Better than WD-40 for sure.

Some of you are WAY ovethinking this..I have literally used used 80w, 90w trans fluid 20w 50 30wt, anything in a 92 civic crank case for 100k plus mikes without an issue. I'd worry about something more important than bar oil. I'd use used oil for bar oil in a heartbeat. Then go about my life and worry about real things.
I agree you can use anything and the chain and bar will be fine.

However do keep in mind you are going to be breathing in the vapor of whatever you are using. Id rather not be intentionally breathing used motor oil mist.

I agree you can use anything and the chain and bar will be fine.

However do keep in mind you are going to be breathing in the vapor of whatever you are using. Id rather not be intentionally breathing used motor oil mist.
It also makes a giant mess when you use anything besides bar oil that is designed to stick to the bar.

I'm not getting a big mess using used Mobil1. My neighbor does not either with his Stihl. The chain seems to stay lubricated and the bar does not clogged w/sawdust.

a bottle of STP to 100oz of whatever oil is what I use. 100oz is the size of the laundry detergent bottle that I use. Been running this for over 40 years on the same bar.

Do NOT use atf fluid.
I did and it cost me a bar and chain.
I was cutting wood and was out of oil, all I had was some dex 111. Bad idea
Should have just waited till the ext day and got oil
Gear oil just stinks too bad
Motor oil works ok
Any bar oil should work great

Last edited:
I use my old manual transmission and rear end oils. You can smell it so you know it's flowing.

I use bar oil because the smell brings me back to my childhood and memories of me working out at some land my dad had when I was a kid I hated every moment of it but the smell of bar oil brings back all those memories and I wish I had that land now.

Back