Castrol Titanium Technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: weasley
It'll vary. Already we see differences; 7 ppm is more than double 3 ppm. There are many more products with Ti in.

Yes I agree, 7 ppm is more than 3 ppm, but they are both at the homeopathic level.

Kendall list their Ti levels in their PDS data sheets at 100 ppm titanium, and they do this without any worry of releasing any big corporate secret.

Would any Castrol PCMO product, on the store shelves, have Ti at a similar 100 ppm level ? (Note I'm not asking for an actual chemical formula or a actual concentration, just a yes or no, which you should be able to answer without releasing any big company secrets.)

In my experience, 3 to 7 ppm of any metal is in the realms of ICP measurement bounce. You could test tomato ketchup and probably 'measure' this amount of Titanium in it.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
And the Castrol gold bottle with Ti did crazy good in the Amsoil published TEOST testing as well... me thinks more to it than marketing, although admittedly Castrol is a master of marketing to the masses.
Wouldn't that test lean towards the base stocks?

I am more of a bis(C11-14-branched and linear alkyl), tungstates kind of guy.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I had a UOA done of mobil super 5000 and it had 24 PPM of titanium. 2015_PSD also did a bunch of uoas of MS5K and it had titanium too. Does it help? Who knows. Must be cheap if I can get a jug for around 14.50.That's around how much I paid then.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
FWIW: I had a UOA done on Castrol Edge (Euro) 0W-40 oil in my Volvo. It came back at 43ppm after ~5.5K miles.

Could you share with us?

Many formulations are used globally, and VOA have shown numbers from the numbers mentioned here and up to ~50ppm.

The main benefits are due to effect of pressure on the Ti molecules:

http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-king...e/benefits.html

From the above link:
15% less friction versus no Ti in otherwise same formulation
45% stronger at keeping metal apart vs leading competitor
140 hrs longer versus no Ti in otherwise same formulation

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Many formulations are used globally, and VOA have shown numbers from the numbers mentioned here and up to ~50ppm.

The main benefits are due to effect of pressure on the Ti molecules:

http://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-king...e/benefits.html

From the above link:
15% less friction versus no Ti in otherwise same formulation
45% stronger at keeping metal apart vs leading competitor
140 hrs longer versus no Ti in otherwise same formulation

Great marketing. Slick.
Ti in Castrol Edge is like a box of chocolates: You never know what you're gonna get.
At what Ti ppm levels do we get those claimed benefits? Castrol Edge shows Zero, 7 ppm, or 42 ppm, depending on the phases of the moon.
Kendall consistently shows around 90 ppm. The patent shows 100 ppm or so.

Is there a quality control (blending) issue at Castrol we should know about?

So is every ICP machine equally sensitive to titanium, or does it vary? How about sample prep for that particular element? Is a digestion being performed? If so, is the digestion geared towards titanium or some other element? I don't have a lot of experience with ICP (mine was all AA) but is it possible that the variation in readings is related to sample preparation and machine operation rather than variation in the oil?

Back in the day your results from AA could be highly dependent on sample prep and machine settings. You had to know what you were testing for and prepare for that rather than just blindly running samples. For example, if you prepped your sample for the usual elements such as iron or copper that may not give accurate results for certain other elements. The chemical composition of the element under test also could vary results.

Originally Posted By: zoli
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
FWIW: I had a UOA done on Castrol Edge (Euro) 0W-40 oil in my Volvo. It came back at 43ppm after ~5.5K miles.

Could you share with us?

Sure can and sorry this took so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back