Castrol Tection Extra vs. Rotella, and Delo 15W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you guys hold Rotella, and Delo in high reguard. But what about Tection Extra? I never hear anything about castrol HDEO on this board. Which oil has the most Robust add pack?
Is there anyone who uses it? and Why? I will primarally be using it in my small engines, but I will also be using it in my dad's '65 GTO, as the level of ZDDP has gone down in the GTX 20w50 that he has been running. The car gets an Oil Change once a year, it never gets more that 700 miles a season. It sits most of the year in the garage. It has a 1970 Pontiac 400 CID Small Block, and it gets an AC Delco Filter.

Thanks,
Justin

Note to Forum Moderator:
I have not been getting many responses in the other catagory I have this posted, that is why I moved it to here.
thanks,
Justin

My cousin uses this in his old Rabbit diesel that he has converted to run on WVO. I'm pretty sure he's never done any UOAs, but he's not had any oil related problems that I know of.

Castrol Textion shear's out of grade badly even in passenger cars. I can only imagine how badly it must shear in a true commercial diesel engine!

In fact I got some really cheap localy at a parts store and my wifes Buick 3.8liter tore it up. When I drained it out you would have thought I had black water in the sump! Here car is really gentle on oil and the Castrol Textion also did not hol oil pressure over the course of the OCI! I have never had this happen with Delvac,Rotella or Delo400!

Quote:

Castrol Textion shear's out of grade badly even in passenger cars.

I agree...this oil didn't last for nothing in my sheared oil hating Powerstroke.

Of the the three the OP asked about...My preference is for Delo400 being my first choice of dino based HDEOs. I was not that fond of pre CJ-4 Rotella as the wear numbers, in my opinion, only produced what I consider just average UOA's. The new CJ-4 stuff seems to have come around a little better but it is yet to be determined by me if I would use it over Delo400.

Hammer

I ran all three in my 1999 7.3 powerstroke with a stout dp tune on it. the delo gave me the lowest wear numbers. It gave me better uoa's than delvac1 also. I think delo is maybe the best or one of the best dino oils ever made IMHO
patriot.gif

Quote:

I ran all three in my 1999 7.3 powerstroke with a stout dp tune on it. the delo gave me the lowest wear numbers. It gave me better uoa's than delvac1 also. I think delo is maybe the best or one of the best dino oils ever made IMHO
patriot.gif

I whole heartedly agree! Delo 400 is amazing dino oil in every aspect.

So the consensus is Delo is the prefered dino HDEO ?
I would still like to hear anyone else's experiences with these oils, and if anyone has used it in older cars.

Thanks,
Justin

I find it hard to believe that the Tection is c r a p. Now what do I do with the free 5 gallon bucket I just got? Rinse oil for Patman Flushes?

Also would like to see how Premium Blue compares to Delo.

Quote:

I find it hard to believe that the Tection is c r a p. Now what do I do with the free 5 gallon bucket I just got? Rinse oil for Patman Flushes?

Good point, i too would like to see how Valvoline Premium Blue stacks up against Delo, and Rotella.

Justin

from Valvoline.com
Quote:

Valvoline’s Premium Blue Engine Oil is endorsed by Cummins Engine Company and has been tested extensively by Cummins in stationary and on-road EGR engines, including those equipped with DPFs. It is approved against the CES 20081 specification. It will also be approved against Mack EO-O Premium Plus 2007, Volvo VDS-4, and DDC Power Guard 93K218 specifications. It exceeds the lubrication requirements for Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel, Navistar, other heavy duty diesel engines, including engine performance requirements of Caterpillar ECF-3 and the Global DHD-1 Specification. The product meets API CJ-4, API CI-4 Plus, API CI-4, API CH-4,CG-4, CF-4, CF / SM, the performance requirements of ACEA E3-96, E5-02, E7-04 and the engine requirements of DB 228.3 ,MTU Type 2/Type 1, DDC 2000/4000 Series Type2/Type 1, MAN 3275, MAN 271.

It would seem this should be a very good oil.

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:

Good point, i too would like to see how Valvoline Premium Blue stacks up against Delo, and Rotella.

Justin

I have tried Premium Blue in the past in my N14. The UOA's were almost identical to DELO's UOAs except maybe showing slightly more wear. I mean just slight...we are talking a 1-3ppm increase in some levels, nothing drastic.

Hammer

Right. I just wanted to emphasize the point because some at this site get excited over single digit changes in metals in oil analysis.

There are many quality oils out there. The Castrol product is probably decent. They are trying to jump into the HEDO market.

The previous CI-4 Plus formulation had less TBN retention reserve - the data sheet 12 turned into mid-9s right out of the bottle when ran through oil analysis (most oils drop ~1.5 TBN points out of the bottle due to the different ASTM test that UOA runs vs the PDS TBN #. They went light on detergents to keep low ash, but detergents are the long lasting TBN contributor.

I'm new to this site, but I didn't see comments about Mobil's Delvac 1300 Super conventional oil. CAT, Detroit Diesel (and Mercedes under the Daimler umbrella here in the US), and Volvo (including Mack) all choose to use Mobil Delvac technology to help them design and develop their engines.

No heavy duty engine maker choses Rotella or Delo for engine design help/work.

I'm curious what view people have on 1300?

I just checked the MSDS for Castrol Tection Extra … 15-20% Group I (mixed with Group II).

Strange that there is that much Group I in that oil. I would have thought that CI-4+ rated oils would be all Group II. Could it be the aromatics in the Group I's just eating up the add-pack …????

Detroit D has a sticker on their 60 series engines recommending Delvac.

Oil popularity seems to come and go. I remember when Delvac was very popular. Price seems to be the deciding factor. I've seen UOAs that were just ok but the owner was most impressed at what he bought the oil for.

Quote:

There are many quality oils out there. The Castrol product is probably decent. They are trying to jump into the HEDO market.

The previous CI-4 Plus formulation had less TBN retention reserve - the data sheet 12 turned into mid-9s right out of the bottle when ran through oil analysis (most oils drop ~1.5 TBN points out of the bottle due to the different ASTM test that UOA runs vs the PDS TBN #. They went light on detergents to keep low ash, but detergents are the long lasting TBN contributor.

I'm new to this site, but I didn't see comments about Mobil's Delvac 1300 Super conventional oil. CAT, Detroit Diesel (and Mercedes under the Daimler umbrella here in the US), and Volvo (including Mack) all choose to use Mobil Delvac technology to help them design and develop their engines.

No heavy duty engine maker choses Rotella or Delo for engine design help/work.

I'm curious what view people have on 1300?

cat oil is delvac1 not delvac 1300. the two oils are NOT in the same.
I think detroit diesel also had some oil that was delvac1 in a detroit bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back