Castrol MagnaTec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see you posting!

I am a huge fan of Magnatec. Like many others I noticed a slightly quieter engine (particularly at start up in our noisy KIA). I have run a bunch of it, at least 4 straight OCI's in the KIA and I have it in my Lincoln now with another OCI on deck. Would have stuck with it in the KIA, I was pretty torn actually, but I wanted to do straight 10k OCI's in it and the Edge was a better choice for that IMO. Many have run Magnatec that far though.

Almost all Castrol marketing is stupid, their oils are great however.

Fantastic oil at a bargain price, what's not to like?

I've used it for the second oil change in my Wife's '12 Focus. Sooo quiet with this oil compared to my Dad's '15 Fusion with the same engine.

Yes but make sure it is for the full synthetic version, because you can get full syn at Wally's for about the same price right now. The 5w20 and 0w20 Magnatec have always been full syn, but recently the 5w30 went from a blend to full syn also.

All I have run so far has been the blend it's still awesome, but if you can have full syn at the same price why not.

Have it in both of my cars and it made the startup on the Rogue noticeably quieter. It always had some chatter at startup...Normal? Less so now. Even my wife commented on it. It made no difference audibly in the Canyon's 2.5l. I like it for the price and the availability for me.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I'm an AMAZON PRIME member and they have 5 qt. containers for $17.44. Is that a good price?

Yes, at Walmart they are priced at $17.87 or so. But you can get it delivered for a little bit less. I'd go for it. I'm running Castrol Edge EP - Gold bottle/jug 10w30. Very impressed with it so far. Like it better than Valvoline SynPower so far.

Originally Posted By: SR5
The 5W30 is now a full synthetic.
You have to ask what does full syn mean exactly?

Why would one use this over Edge if it's full syn now? Does Edge not have the ester based UMA in it like magnatec does? Or is Magnatec just a less expensive full syn now? I use Castrol oil and have for a while (GTX, GTX HM, Edge) but it seems like they split their product line up a lot.

I think it is similar to Mobil.
They have their Super Synthetic, Regular Mobil 1, as well as EP, AFE, and now AP.
Pennzoil does similar (Ultra, Platinum, Platinum Euro, and one could argue Quaker State synthetic is their "budget" oil)
Just different formulas/blends geared toward different price and performance levels.

Castrol has just done an excellent job in their "budget" synthetic segment with Magnatec.
I think their Edge oils will do better for longer OCI or more demanding engines (although Magnatec is returning good UOA's in some DI engines that are hard on oils).

Originally Posted By: CT8
The 5W30 is now a full synthetic.
You have to ask what does full syn mean exactly?

The Magnatec 5W30 is now a full Group III based oil, but before it was a Group II and Group III blend.

Also, the "intelligent" or polar molecules are probably a small amount of Group V added to the mix.

Last edited:
Since we are talking about Castrol and what base oils are used in their products, some may find this interesting. I posted it recently in another thread, but it fits here too, even though it's mostly about Edge.

From this link,
http://datnet.org/topic/14125-castrol-qa-thread/

A Castrol tech did a few questions and answers.

Quote:
There is no such thing as the best oil.

The Castrol Edge range is formulated with different base oils to give the best results for the different engines each has been designed for.

You cannot judge the performance of an engine oil by its base stock.

Edge Sport 25W/50 is a mineral oil based on Grp II base stock, as it has been designed for older & larger 2-valve pushrod engines with roller rockers. Synthetics, like Grp IV base oils, do not build up a good film on roller rockers as well as a mineral oil, where valve train forces are very high.

Edge Sport 0W/40 & 10W/60 are synthetic Grp IV products and designed for engines with sliding valve trains or 4 valves or more per cylinder with roller rockers, where valve train loads are lighter than the 2 valve engines and where engine speeds are higher.

Edge Sport 5W/30 is a happy medium utilizing Grp III (HVI) base oils, which provide virtually all of the benefits of Grp IV but at a slightly lower cost.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I'm an AMAZON PRIME member and they have 5 qt. containers for $17.44. Is that a good price?

Yes, at Walmart they are priced at $17.87 or so. But you can get it delivered for a little bit less. I'd go for it. I'm running Castrol Edge EP - Gold bottle/jug 10w30. Very impressed with it so far. Like it better than Valvoline SynPower so far.

i ordered a gallon of 5/30 from WM online and was sent the blend. So there is still some blend still in the dist pipeline. i returned it and had them reorder it . hopefully i get the correct one this time.

The Magnatec 5W30 is now a full Group III based oil, but before it was a Group II and Group III blend.

Also, the "intelligent" or polar molecules are probably a small amount of Group V added to the mix.

Is Magnatec better than Edge?

Originally Posted By: igs

Is Magnatec better than Edge?

Better is a relative term. For most engines doing a 7500 mile, there is no difference.
Even in engines that are hard on oil (DI Turbo engines) both do very well.
If you are wanting to do extended intervals (10,000+), I think that is where Edge starts to win out.

MagnaTec 5w-30 is one of the oils I was thinking of trying. I think the 5w-30 is a blend while the 0w-20 & 5w-20 is syn.
I been using PYB 5w-30 in my Hyundai 2.4L since around 55k (have >131k now) and have 2 5-qt jugs to use. Then might try this MagnaTek for a change. Had thoughts of some HM oils but no leaks or adding oil for the 5k OCIs yet.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
MagnaTec 5w-30 is one of the oils I was thinking of trying. I think the 5w-30 is a blend while the 0w-20 & 5w-20 is syn.
I been using PYB 5w-30 in my Hyundai 2.4L since around 55k (have >131k now) and have 2 5-qt jugs to use. Then might try this MagnaTek for a change. Had thoughts of some HM oils but no leaks or adding oil for the 5k OCIs yet.

add: Does MagnaTec have the foil seal on the jugs?
If I Amazon order a jug, be nice to know - I've had some seepage from PYB (no foil seal).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Errtt

All Magnatec is a "syn" now, but as WhyMe (appropriate name in this case) stated, there are still syn-blend bottles in inventory at places. The Syn blend is a good oil as well, and is rumored that it was just a label/marketing change and no real formula change.

No idea on the foil seal, I have a jug in my garage that I have not opened. I can take a look later and post if nobody else does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back