Castor Racing Oil: How To?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Phil Irving's book http://tuningforspeed.com/files/Tuning_for_Speed.pdf should be in every library...mine has beetroot stains.

I've had mine since the early '70's, and has more than beetroot stains...I still pull it out for the basic stuff that really matters.

When I was getting my Piaggio scooter sorted last year, there was water in the oil tank, water in the oil pump, and the volume is so low it is hard to see if it was working. So I went premix, and added some R30 because I wanted just that little bit more backup. It doesn't mix with the semi synth oil I was using, it needs a shake before using, and after sitting you can see the R on the bottom of my mixing cup. For race fuel mixtures, acetone was used to get the castor to mix with dyno fuels, never tried it myself. Next mix maybe. Oh, and my pump works, so am now on straight fuel.

You know, whenever you have a question, Penrite has the answer

Quote:
Penrite 10 Tenths Race Castor is an ashless SAE 20W-40 engine oil manufactured from high quality castor vegetable oil, synthetic ester, anti-corrosion additives and an advanced anti-oxidant. The synthetic base fluids are specially blended to produce SAE 30 and SAE 40 classifications. This helps to reduce or eliminate traditional problems such as lacquers and deposits.

10 Tenths Race Castor has retained all of the advantages of a castor-based product, including a naturally higher and stronger film strength, very high load carrying capacity, better wetting properties and reduced power loss due to friction.

10 Tenths Race Castor is also recommended for classic two and four stroke engines where the owner wishes to use a Castor based oil rather than mineral based oil. It is also suitable for use where monograde SAE 30 Castor based products are used or recommended. This product may also be used as a premix in two stroke applications with both petrol & methanol fuels.

RCAS001_LW1.jpg

I wonder what the anti corrosion and anti oxidant additives are? I also wonder what percentage of the blend is castor, and which is ester. Castor has totally captivated me.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I wonder what the anti corrosion and anti oxidant additives are? I also wonder what percentage of the blend is castor, and which is ester. Castor has totally captivated me.

Yeah, I should pick some up for my 2-stroke mower.

I don't know about what they use and how much, but its got a sulphated ash level of 0.0 %

Does anyone know what the anti corrosion additives are in castor racing oil? Have I legitimately discovered a topic that very few bitog'rs know anything about? I'm interested in learning how to make my own full castor racing oil, from press to packaging. I haven't been able to find the specific information I've asked about in this thread. To reiterate:
-what anti corrosion additives are used
-what are the anti foaming properties of castor
-could castor racing oil be used as compressor pump oil
-if it does not use a zinc and phosphorus antiwear package, is it just the film itself doing all the work

I've come to understand it contains no zinc or phosphorus and is not compatible with petroleum based oils, nor gasoline. It works very well with nitromethane, methanol and alcohol fuels. It in most cases can be used as a two stroke or four stroke oil.

What do I not know?

Originally Posted By: Red91
Does anyone know what the anti corrosion additives are in castor racing oil? Have I legitimately discovered a topic that very few bitog'rs know anything about?

I've come to understand it contains no zinc or phosphorus and is not compatible with petroleum based oils, nor gasoline. It works very well with nitromethane, methanol and alcohol fuels. It in most cases can be used as a two stroke or four stroke oil.

What do I not know?

Now boy I say, now I say, just hold on there a minute. And no, this isn't a new topic for BITOG.
smirk.gif

Castor Beans Oil Yield
% A vg. Oil
Content
Dihydroxystearic acid - 0.3 to 0.5%
Stearic Acid - 0.5 to 1%
Palmitic Acid - 0.5 to 1%
Oleic Acid - 3%
Linoleic Acid - 4.2%
alpha Linolenic Acid - 4.3%
Ricinoleic Acid - 90%

Castor oil has been used in many different reactions for everything from soap to polymers to lubricants. Reactions include hydrolysis, esterification, hydrogenation, caustic fusion and sulfonation.

The world's largest single use of castor oil in one product, outside the lubricants markets, is in the manufacture of polyamide 11 (Nylon 11). The process is involved and includes several reaction steps. Compared to its predecessors, Nylon 6, 6-6 and 6-10, Nylon 11 has
4 of 7

Castor has the lowest melting point, lowest specific gravity and the lowest moisture absorption. It also is resistance to acid and alkaline reagents or oxidizing agents. These qualities are of particular importance in high quality engineering plastics and in durable protective coatings.

HCO -Hydrogenated Castor Oil
Hydrogenation of castor oil accounts for the largest single use of castor oil for a standard commodity. In the hydrogenation process, the ricinoleic acid becomes fully saturated and forms a viscous wax-like product with a high melting point of 86°C, which makes HCO valuable in resin and polymer mixtures. The HCO is insoluble in water and most organic solvents, but it is soluble in hot solvents. It is this insolubility that makes HCO valuable to the lubricants markets. It is water resistant while retaining lubricity , polarity and surface wetting properties. It is perfect for metal drawing lubricants and multipurpose industrial greases. HCO made its debut in greases as a replacement for traditional soap thickeners, sodium, potassium and calcium. Today, it is the lithium soap thickeners which are dominant. The early use of HCO in greases was to improve texture and oxidative stability of greases exposed to high sheer stress with little effect on structure or consistency.

However, virgin castor oil tends to form gums in a short time, and therefore its usefulness is limited in internal combustion engines, and is not a magic substance.

Too many people become fixated on one particular oil component or chemical compound in an engine oil.
31.gif

Last edited:
The oxidation inhibitor in the Penrite product is the common anti-oxidant 2,6-Di-tert-butyl-4-methylphenol.

Last edited:
I understand it is not a long term lubricant for an engine, and it seems to be advised by most castor racing oil producers to drain it immediately following an event. Is the HCO used for greases also applied to the lube oil? I apologize if you answered that....your influx of information is a little over my head. Much appreciated however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back