Cars with fake exhaust tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of these awesome exhaust setups? I think the first two are Audis and the last one is a Mercedes.

audi.jpg

audi2.jpg

mercedes.jpg

Hadn't seen that before. Weird.

Always figured that, if I was shopping a car and the salesman were to point out the fancy chrome exhaust tip, that I'd ask him if that was where the pollution came out. Just to see how the conversation would go after that.

Mercedes has been doing this kind of thing for decades, where the exhaust exits under the chrome tip and not out the back.

If I purchase a Tesla, I'm installing dual exhaust tips.....

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by novadude
On a positive note, it keeps the "exhaust tips" and bumper clean.

Yeah---look, no oil consumption!

I've sometimes wondered how the drivetrains of so many modern cars with these "through the valance" exhaust tips could always be smooth enough to not have the exhaust piping moving and whacking the aero-plastic body bits. Now all becomes clear. A corollary to the bogus, piped-in-through-the-fancy-sound-system exhaust sounds.

Wanna bees, in the day of the 60s guys would do that to their VW Beetles,,,hilarious and that was with 32 to maybe 56 hp..lol

Makes me pine for the German saloons of old.

The muffler outlet was hidden, no tips in the bumper of certain cars. I know the E38 was this way.

What's wrong with that?

Wow, that's pretty silly. I agree, there's nothing wrong with a hidden exhaust tip...for me at least.

Fake exhaust tips are ridiculous once carbon residue builds up on the actual exhaust tip and the other one is still clean. My boss's BMW has this.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
BMW may not be fake. I don't know if they do it for all models, but they use a butterfly valve in one of the exhaust tips that only opens at high rpm.

10154787_10152351209838466_838199800_n.jpg

Originally Posted by StevieC
Fake exhaust tips are ridiculous once carbon residue builds up on the actual exhaust tip and the other one is still clean. My boss's BMW has this.
grin2.gif

That's because your boss just piddled around town. The dual exhaust on BMW's actually does work however it has a flap covering one side of the exhaust. It is closed during cold start, low speed driving, non-sport mode driving. Some owners will simply pull the fuse for the flap, use a golf tee in the vacuum hose controlling it (BMW may have switched to an electric switch), or just manually wire tie the flap open.

I'll have to look next time I see it. That's silly, just leave it open all the time. Unless they are worried about back pressure keeping the Catalyst hot.

Originally Posted by StevieC
. Unless they are worried about back pressure keeping the Catalyst hot.

I suspect you are correct in that assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back