Carry extra mag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I have a CCW. I feel comfortable with 6 rounds. Are you that bad of a shot you need more rounds?

"Four on one shows why capacity matters in a defensive firearm":
https://youtu.be/oGORSgEO_zw

That said, I often carry a 5 round J-frame, but have no illusions as to the limitations that imposes. Life is often about compromises.

As to the extra mag question, I figure the tools at hand will depend on what you are preparing for. Some people may be thinking simple mugging or road rage defense. Others may be thinking larger scale terrorist event or SHTF.

Your environment, your job, your mindset, may all call for different tools and different compromises.

Personally, I don't usually carry extra mags on-body, but often have them at hand in the car, in a bag, etc. Based on my experiences, and given my current situation, I'm more concerned about general awareness and avoidance than I am about running dry in a gunfight.

As a side note, my neighbor across the street was the target of an early morning home invasion a couple weeks ago. One or more attackers tried to kick in his back door. Police response time was 20 minutes. This is in a "good" Dallas neighborhood.

When problems arise, I think you better be prepared to deal with them yourself. Someone else coming to your aid, police included, is nice when and if it actually happens, which isn't often.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: ATex7239
Needing a gun altogether is statically remote.

So is needing a spare tire. Does that mean having one is "splitting hairs" as well?

Absolutely. Order of magnitude, if you deem one bizarre so you should the other. If you deem one normal so you should the other.

I find it ridiculous to look at guy with a gun and no spare, saying he is normal and well adjusted. And the next guy with a gun and 1 spare mag saying he just be a wanna be cop crazy person. Those are closer to same order of magnitude than not carrying a gun.

It’s like saying hey that mustang has 500 horsepower - cool! Now that mustang over there has 500 hoorsepower + a 50 shot of nitrous - insanity, crazy, wanna racecar driver.

It’s spliting hairs.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
In our country if psychiatrist (he/she is always involved when you apply for a gun licence) decides that you are to weak or indecisive (in mental terms) as a person you will then never get that licence...

And therein lies your problem. Other people deciding if you as an individual have a right to self protection. Thank God we have a Constitution, along with a Second Amendment that protects that. You don't.

WUT...so in your system it is not important if you are mentally ill....Uncle Sam is always there for you to sell "protection" to you because 2nd amandment says so...

It resembles on the middle east...there you have one imaginary person (Uncle Ahhmed) with a book (2nd amandment) wich tells you how to live and how to breathe properly...it is easier that way...no need for a common sense though
smile.gif

No wonder that you have that much shootings all over your country if you dont have control to whom you are giving weapons...

And who are you to determine who is "effective" when carrying a weapon? That is for the police and court system to sort out after the fact.

Hey Billy you are surprising me...that is exactly what I wanted to tell you

You have the police (and military) to solve that problem...

Apparently your system is not working correctly if you are raving on your streets armed...like in 3rd world country
smile.gif

You have the police (and military) to solve that problem... Apparently your system is not working correctly if you are raving on your streets armed...like in 3rd world country.

The police and military are not always there to protect you. They can't be. Here, or anywhere else. And the governments of most third world dictatorships do not allow guns to be possessed by the citizenry. It's why the murder rate in places like Mexico, and most of the Central American and African countries is off the chart. Bad people don't obey laws, and unarmed citizens can't fight back. You're a typical liberal. Void of any reality or common sense. And enjoy living in a ideological bubble. Perhaps you could teach these poor, oppressed people Karate lessons? It would be a good excuse for you to, "bond" with them.

And who are you to determine who is "effective" when carrying a weapon? That is for the police and court system to sort out after the fact.

Hey Billy you are surprising me...that is exactly what I wanted to tell you

You have the police (and military) to solve that problem...

Apparently your system is not working correctly if you are raving on your streets armed...like in 3rd world country
smile.gif

You’re calling America a third world country from Slovenia... Now that’s interesting.

so in your system it is not important if you are mentally ill.......

If you are proven to be mentally ill you cannot legally own a weapon. We just don't allow liberal, gun hating physiatrists to make that decision for every person. We have more guaranteed freedoms and rights than you do. So I wouldn't worry about anyone telling us, "how to breath". When you've got people telling you that you are not allowed to defend yourself, until you get an OK from a physiatrist.

You’re calling America a third world country from Slovenia... Now that’s interesting.

Yes I am....from country where we dont know/have gethos....where you can walk your dog unarmed at 3AM anywhere you want...from a country where we are not living in houses made up out of OSB plates...where we dont know/have power outages...where we have decent/stabile internet (no dial ups here)... Where we have 220V electricity...wich is under the soil... So that your neighbourhood doesnt look like that you live in Dzibuti (with all that mashup on the poles)
smile.gif

Yes I am....from country where we dont know/have gethos....where you can walk your dog unarmed at 3AM anywhere you want...from a country where we are not living in houses made up out of OSB plates...where we dont know/have power outages...where we have decent/stabile internet (no dial ups here)... Where we have 220V electricity...wich is under the soil... So that your neighbourhood doesnt look like that you live in Dzibuti (with all that mashup on the poles)
smile.gif

I’ll just leave this here...

https://www.icij.org/blog/2014/03/exposing-slovenias-dark-history-yugoslav-conflict/

Humm, interesting...I don't carry a spare tire, but I do CC a LCP.

Honestly, isn't what, when, and how much you carry somewhat dependent on the situation? I live in small city with one slightly bad neighborhood. I very rarely go out after dark, and if I do, it certainly isn't to the bad neighborhood. The greatest reason that I carry any weapon is that I'm old and tired so running and/or fighting isn't an option IF 1 happen into that 1-in-a-1000 chance bad situation.

That said, when my BIL passed earlier this year and we had to go to the big city (driving through other big cities at all hours) the 9mm B6P and extra magazines went along.

smile.gif

I have lived where I am at for 20 years, and there isn't a utility pole in sight. I worked nights for over 12 years and walked my dog at 3:00 AM and never had an issue. I'm willing to bet my Internet is faster than yours. And if it isn't you're not going to be able to measure the difference. I haven't had a power outage in over 5 years. And the last one lasted a couple of seconds. Just long enough to have to reset my digital clocks. 220 and 110 volt service is everywhere. I can live in, or have built any type of home I want. The only ghettos we have are in some of our large inner cities. They don't effect the lives of 95% of the people in the nation.

So it's quite apparent you don't know what your talking about. America has 310 MILLION FREE people. You have barely 2 million that have NO guaranteed freedoms. And we are a free country and a free people with guaranteed freedoms and rights. Most here hate big government. We prefer capitalism and self reliance. (Except for a few die hard, whining communists), who want and expect the government to take care of them, much like the bulk of you Europeans do. It's why we elected Trump.

You on the other hand, have a government that controls your every move. You are at their complete mercy. You can't even own a weapon unless some government employed physiatrist "approves" it. And by how? Guessing at your mental state. No thanks. I don't care who you try to sell that type of living to. Just don't try to sell it to me. If you gave me a home there, with all the utilities and taxes paid, I wouldn't live there on a bet. In fact I doubt I could unless I was on Valium or Prozac 24/7. Or else drunk all the time, like most Europeans are.

Every gun forum I have seen the majority carry extra mags....forget about the fact that 90% of people who carry are not trained to effectively and safely do so. Those same folks ( who are likely not to be properly trained) then belittle those that do not carry an extra mak. Again its a personal choice. Do as you please. Carry 2 double mag pouches..whatever.

If you are really serious and feel you need an extra mag or two, the best way is to carry a New York City Reload.

To KameleON: I do acknowledge that most folks here shouldn't carry. However it is our right. And as far as a psych test to determine if you are sane to carry? Forget it. It won't pass legal muster...nor should it. What is the criteria to be "sane enough" to carry?

https://www.icij.org/blog/2014/03/exposing-slovenias-dark-history-yugoslav-conflict/

https://www.adventurous-travels.com/post...ace-in-slovenia

Quite the stink hole. That's for sure.

Both topics deserve 10/10...but dont forget that Yugoslavia was under embargo at that time...WEST was controlling everything so nothing could have gone in&out of that teritory at that time...especially not weapons and ammunition.

The question that arises to me is what was the deal here...I mean with the west (NATO)....regarding that we have seen complete western firearm arsenal here on balkan...from Thompson machine guns...to SAR80 (AR16 clone) to DDR MPiS72&74's (east german AK47/74 clone)....very the same modus operandi as we can see it in Syriya nowadays...but lets stop here that topic will not go to political
smile.gif

Regarding the 2nd review about traveling trough Slovenija....I can only bow to the writter....and I was born& I am living in Ljubljana
smile.gif

Tnx to parents we have weekend house in Slovenian Alps so I can often escape from the city to the green mountains
whistle.gif

KameleON likes to troll the gun posts and tell us:

1. how great his country is, and
2. how lousy our country is.

Just ignore him. He adds nothing to the conversation.

Engage him, and you just encourage more trolling.

To the OP - I would encourage you to carry a spare mag.

But then, I would also encourage you to shoot a few hundred rounds of your chosen ammo through your weapon, with the magazines that you carry, to verify reliable operation.

That advice is often not taken due to "cost"....well, I wouldn't use "cost" as a reason to decide whether or not to carry lifejackets in my boat, or a spare tire in my car, so I don't consider it a valid reason.

Magazines are often the cause of semi-auto malfunctions. Feed lip damage is a real area of concern. The risk can be kept to a minimum by using good magazines and by maintaining them (periodic cleaning and spring replacement, for example).

The reasons to carry a spare are first to allow you to restore function if you have a problem and second to allow higher capacity.

When the NYC cops engage a suspect, they have a hit ratio of about 17%. Yep, not making that up - highly trained, experienced officers hit the target about 17% of the time. So, if you're as good as they are, you need about 6 rounds per assailant. In most concealed carry weapon choices, that means an extra mag in order to engage more than one assailant. Now, often the sight of the gun changes the dynamics and the assailant changes their mind, but sometimes, they don't, and a determined assailant can take several rounds before deciding to stop (ref: 1986 Miami FBI shoot out. Two very determined assailants. One took 6 rounds to stop fighting, and one took 12 rounds. 18 rounds on target to stop two determined individuals).

So, as was said, it's a risk assessment determination. Having more rounds on your side will always improve your odds of survival, but you have to carry those rounds, and you have to train in reloading under stress. You may not be willing to do so. You may find that the gun you actually DO carry (e.g. 5 shot J-frame) is far better than the gun you decide to leave at home (e.g. Glock 19 with a spare mag) because it was too big/bulky/inconvenient.

I can't tell you what suits your circumstances best, but I always have a semi-auto, and a spare mag, when I chose to carry.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
So, if you're as good as they are, you need about 6 rounds per assailant.

You and I are not cops. We have options that they don't have. Run away/hide. They take longer shots bc they are trying to stop a shooter that is threatening others. We shouldn't do any of these. You better be competent enough to take only a shot where you can not possibly miss. I mean that sincerely and that's my golden rule.

If you keep the front sight within the fork of the rear sight you will be off no more than 2" either way. That is a fact. I have proven it to my self. If you are shaking that badly...good friggin luck. Again I am not arguing against carrying more mags. You and all civilians should be of the mindset that husbanding bullets is the smart way of going. You and I are responsible for every bit of lead that leaves the muzzle.

Originally Posted By: Al
They take longer shots bc they are trying to stop a shooter that is threatening others.

I don't know where you get your information from, but it's false. And stop giving out bad advice that could easily get someone killed.

"Most experts will tell you that the average distance for a police shooting is 20 feet, but that’s a misleading stat. The reality is that a lot of deadly force incidents take place within 10 feet and even closer."

Originally Posted By: Al
Run away/hide.

"... if your attacker has a gun and you turn and run, you will get shot in the back.... So it’s unlikely that moving away will save you."

http://www.policemag.com/channel/patrol/articles/2006/09/the-winning-edge.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back