Carry extra mag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
People should pack all the ammo they feel comfortable with, but I'm trying to imagine a concealed carry/personal protection scenario that cannot be handled with 10 shots, or less.

Help me out here.

The magazine is typically the weakest component in a modern semi automatic pistol. A fresh mag can fix just about any malfunction under the sun. You could consider it akin to a spare tire.

I find the juxtaposition of these 2 viewpoints on the topic absolutely bizzare:

Originally Posted By: Linctex
If anyone thinks 6 shots is "more than enough" to protect oneself against a gang of 2, 3 or more.... you are inadequately unprepared.

Translation: Gotta be ready for a Banzai-style firefight.

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
The magazine is typically the weakest component in a modern semi automatic pistol...

Translation: Gotta be ready for even the most remotely possible mechanical malfunction.

Both of course, entirely legitimate viewpoints. Questionable, but nevertheless legitimate.

If the SHTF, there is no such thing as too much ammo.

Many perps today are drugged up, and someone on PCP may take a whole lot of holes put in 'em before they depressurize and lick pavement.

Feral predators also travel in packs. Never assume your five or six shots will be enough.

I'd much rather pack extra ammo never to need it than to skimp and wish I had more before the lights go out.

49.gif

If anyone thinks 6 shots is "more than enough" to protect oneself against a gang of 2, 3 or more.... you are inadequately unprepared.

The magazine is typically the weakest component in a modern semi automatic pistol...

Translation: Gotta be ready for even the most remotely possible mechanical malfunction.

Both of course, entirely legitimate viewpoints. Questionable, but nevertheless legitimate.

Needing a gun altogether is statically remote. Spare mag vs no spare, 6 rounds vs 10 rounds vs 15 rounds; it is all just splitting hairs.

Picking some random number based on feels and hanging your hat on that number as all that is required for a hypothetical situation is what I deem bizarre. To each his own.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: CT8
Some times many shots won't stop a determined bad guy.

Computer or battery (head or heart) is the only sure way to stop them.

Constitution says nothing about magazines (since they didn't exist, DUH) .... [insert illegal political discussion here]
Neither was the TV radio or computer[internet]

Everyone should do what they are comfortable with. I do a private SD lesson each month in addition to being an instructor and taken numerous classes. My instructor emphasizes to have a plan for the times that I am in a vulnerable position..getting a haircut, sitting having a cup of coffee or meal etc. 90+ percent of the time when it is just you your best option is to run.

Being in a shootout is something I am not trained for. I will not take a shot where I could possibly miss. And none of you should either (IMHO). Cops miss 80+% of the time bc they are required to stop the BG..We/You arent. If there is a chance I could miss I won't shoot. I only ever practice with one gun I pull it out and shoot dozens of times each wee from a combat stance.

Again..to each his own. I am very comfortable with my plan.

NO ONE is a "dead-eye" shot when under stress!!!!!!!!!!

I have always wanted to run, do some sprints then attempt to target shoot. Still would not be the same as an adrenaline rush.

I usually do not carry an extra mag, but I'm thinking more about doing so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

NO ONE is a "dead-eye" shot when under stress!!!!!!!!!!

I have always wanted to run, do some sprints then attempt to target shoot. Still would not be the same as an adrenaline rush.

I usually do not carry an extra mag, but I'm thinking more about doing so.

Have someone kick you in the crotch. That would be closer to an adrenaline dump than running.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The cops here carry 3 extra mags.

Yeah because they are cops snd you're not.

Originally Posted By: Donald
No need if not law enforcement.

Precisely. Operator or cop wannabees otherwise. Dreaming of the Hollywood firefight they will never encounter.

Needing a gun altogether is statically remote. Spare mag vs no spare, 6 rounds vs 10 rounds vs 15 rounds; it is all just splitting hairs.

Picking some random number based on feels and hanging your hat on that number as all that is required for a hypothetical situation is what I deem bizarre. To each his own.

I hereby declare you normal and rationsl.

Originally Posted By: Toros
Originally Posted By: Chris142
The cops here carry 3 extra mags.

Yeah because they are cops snd you're not.

Precisely. Operator or cop wannabees otherwise. Dreaming of the Hollywood firefight they will never encounter.

This is the silliest thing I've ever heard. Who dreams of having their life placed in danger? I'm not getting this whole, "Because they're cops and you're not", reasoning? Especially when trying to determine the amount of spare ammunition a citizen or cop can carry. That's ridiculous. Back when cops carried revolvers, most carried 2 extra speedloaders with them, for a total of 18 rounds. Today few if any cops carry revolvers of any type. And many of the semi auto pistols they carry today have more than 18 rounds in a single magazine. It's no different with a citizen. Today a citizen can carry more ammunition in a single magazine than cops did total just 40 years ago. So what does being a cop have to do with anything?

There is no difference in training for either a cop or a citizen, when it comes to shooting to stop the threat when any given situation goes to guns. With the exception of perhaps their riot gun and non lethal rounds, cops don't use their weapons for crowd control. They can run up against multiple threats when they're alone, just as a citizen can. And I rather doubt any determined bad guy out there tries to acquire a different sight picture, when he's shooting at either a citizen or a cop. So you have absolutely no way to determine why one should require more ammunition than the other. And to say a uniform and a badge is required to carry extra magazines, that you as a citizen can't or shouldn't carry if you're wearing Dockers or Cargo Shorts with a wife beater, is beyond stupid.

thumbsup2.gif
I am always asking myself where were they hiding in Las Vegas or a week ago in New York
smile.gif

Behind the cops?

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
I am always asking myself where were they hiding in Las Vegas or a week ago in New York Behind the cops?

More stupidity. What do you think they, (armed citizens), should have done in Vegas? Start taking pot shots in the dark at the building, 400 yards away with a handgun? Did you see any cops shooting from the street? Why would you expect armed citizens to behave any differently? You don't have a single clue of what you're even talking about.

And if you knew anything about our gun laws in this country, you would know that citizens in New York carrying concealed legally is a rare, if not a non existent occurrence.

Why are you (the gang of armed citizens) carrying anyway if you are that ineffective/indecisive? In our country if psychiatrist (he/she is always involved when you apply for a gun licence) decides that you are to weak or indecisive (in mental terms) as a person you will then never get that licence...

Its better then for those ineffective (armed) citizens to divert/transform their superpowers into some other hobbies...like bootcamp or karate lessons...it will be better even for their health...and also they will even bond/socialize more trough that lessons
smile.gif

In our country if psychiatrist (he/she is always involved when you apply for a gun licence) decides that you are to weak or indecisive (in mental terms) as a person you will then never get that licence...

And therein lies your problem. Other people deciding if you as an individual have a right to self protection. Thank God we have a Constitution, along with a Second Amendment that protects that. You don't.

Its better then for those ineffective (armed) citizens to divert/transform their superpowers into some other hobbies...like bootcamp or karate lessons...it will be better even for their health...and also they will even bond/socialize more trough that lessons
smile.gif

No one carries a weapon to "bond", or to be "social". Or does it as a "hobby". And it's ludicrous to think throwing kicks and punches will be effective when you'll get bullets back. You really need to start applying common sense before you start typing this kind of silly nonsense. And who are you to determine who is "effective" when carrying a weapon? That is for the police and court system to sort out after the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back