carefull on M/C oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems there are a new breed of dino's coming from the big makers making alot of claims. I if interested in these 4 buck a quart oils would take a closer look at whats in them and how much before buying imo. A guy just might be better off and a few bucks ahead using a HD oil in my opinion
smile.gif

Are any dino oils going to stand up to the transmission gears in a sport bike? Seems like nothing can go far in that environment. May catch some flack from Bob but I am only interested in the best full synthetic for my 600. May be a while but intend to analyse some MX4T after 2000 miles of Mountains and two-up.

I don think the probelm with dinos in cycle use is the base oil. Its the viscosity improver. Since synthetics have much less improver I would say they would be way more shear stable. Although the meshing gears of a bike tranny will chew any oil upeventually.
Dragboat, 15/40 hd oils do work very good in bikes. I know mant people that use delvac 1300 and delo 400 with good results.

Originally posted by blano:
Dragboat, 15/40 hd oils do work very good in bikes. I know mant people that use delvac 1300 and delo 400 with good results.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Are these good results based on oil analysis?

I do not have any analysis records as the engines are dirtbikes and no one bothers with analysis at the ultra short intervals bikes are changed on.BTW on a related note. How accurate are spectro analsis on bikes? I would imagine that the wear metals would be sky high with a wet clutch contiminating the sample with steel aluminum and other metals.

blano: " ... no one bothers with analysis at the ultra short intervals bikes are changed on."

I don't know about "no one" but not enough do, that's for sure. I know I could never get my brother to analyze the oil oput of his Ninja 1100.
frown.gif

"How accurate are spectro analsis on bikes? I would imagine that the wear metals would be sky high with a wet clutch contiminating the sample with steel, aluminum and other metals."

You're right about the contamination. In these instances, though, I think you have to treat the tranny and engine as more or less one unit and compare them to previous samples or equivalent applications. After all, wear to both components is a serious concern. It may just be difficult to diagnose problems (isolate the problem as specific to the engine or tranny) through analysis alone.
confused.gif

That's why these analyses are trend analysis and not really absolutes ... there are too many variables involved and for $20, the sampling and lab work are bound to be off a few PPMs.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by blano:
I do not have any analysis records as the engines are dirtbikes and no one bothers with analysis at the ultra short intervals bikes are changed on.BTW on a related note. How accurate are spectro analsis on bikes? I would imagine that the wear metals would be sky high with a wet clutch contiminating the sample with steel aluminum and other metals.

In my opinion a analysis on a wet clutch bike is a waste. Guess it could show Ox and TBN drop along with thinning of the VI but for the most part get a eye and feel for the bike and change is the rule of thumb because many only get seasonal riding..I don't have to worry owning 2- two strokes and the little Kawasaki 4 stroke will get oil changed once a year.No analyisis. Will save that for more important things like ? Dunno
smile.gif
What are analysis good for,,,ahhhh,Voa's are intriging!If that oil a guy chose for his car is killing the motor in the hat of summer a analysis is a good deal,,how I found out about dinos were not in my future with one car we have,,the little oil killer
tongue.gif

Now I bet the Factory Superbikes gets their oils looked at very often and with those dry clutches and 20wts bet the are friction modded to the limit before losing power because of ring seal.Tuned for X laps thse days and then a fresh motor goes in on them

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:

In my opinion a analysis on a wet clutch bike is a waste. Guess it could show Ox and TBN drop along with thinning of the VI but for the most part get a eye and feel for the bike and change is the rule of thumb because many only get seasonal riding..

For the most part you’re right. People don’t ride enough in one year to push the limits of the oil. Except mcmech who killed Spectro in 1k miles.

I ride about 8k miles per year so at least one analysis is useful to verify how far the oil can go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back