What oil are you running in your 4 strokes?

What oil are you guys running in your 4 strokes? Merc oil has gone way up in price. 80 bucks a gallon for dino or 100 for semi synthetic. That seems a bit steep.

I'm debating of buying some 5W40 synthetic and calling it a day for the Merc 30hp.

Thats a pretty new motor I'm not familiar with those.

Typically I would use a 15w40 or a syn 15w40 such as delvac extreme 15w40.
unless its on an icebreaker you dont need 5w

There are two groups of folks discussing 4 stroke marine oils. Those who think the FCW designation means something and those who don’t. Here is a screen shot of what FCW is about.

74503066-1B97-46D1-884C-DA1D8E80A283.jpg
74503066-1B97-46D1-884C-DA1D8E80A283.jpg

Man you are getting price gouged. I have a 150 Mercury 4 stroke and run this. This is the current price at BassPro/ Cabelas.
0EA34006-9A73-4B54-A942-51CB0DBC37FA.jpg

I'm running Merc 25W40 in it right now with a Fram filter. I'm positive I never spent no 80 bucks plus tax for a gallon of dino oil.

Thats a pretty new motor I'm not familiar with those.

Typically I would use a 15w40 or a syn 15w40 such as delvac extreme 15w40.
unless its on an icebreaker you dont need 5w
It kinda is an ice breaker. I fish until it gets down to freezing. 25W40 is pretty thick at those temps. Thats why I thought 5W40 would be fine.

I have a Mercury 115 hp 4 stroke it's a 2007 and I have used Mobil 1 synthetic 10W30 for several years and it works great. I use a Mercury quicksilver filter. I use the same type of oil in my 9.8 4 stroke kicker motor too. I just can't see buying gourmet outboard oils and I don't believe they are much different.

I prefer the marine designation. When I’m at 5,700 RPM for long stretches going to the fishing grounds I don’t want foaming motor oil.

I was at Walmart the other day and they have Vavoline 10W-30 full syn for 15.98, FC-W.
Bass Pro has 10W-30, and 25-40 for about 17.99 blended by Amilie.

I have a Mercury 115 hp 4 stroke it's a 2007 and I have used Mobil 1 synthetic 10W30 for several years and it works great. I use a Mercury quicksilver filter. I use the same type of oil in my 9.8 4 stroke kicker motor too. I just can't see buying gourmet outboard oils and I don't believe they are much different.

They probably aren’t much difference, and while I use M1 in everything else the Mercury oil is only $5 a gallon higher than M1, and it gets really good scores on tests that I have read. If the motor is under warranty it’s kind of a no brainer on what you should use, and if you only go a few hours per year, run it a couple of years and you won’t have any issues. With that said if you troll and idle it a lot, change it every year .
And to the OP, if there is a Academy close by, check there for the Quick Silver oil. Or really most sporting goods stores.
I don’t know if Boats.net ships to Canada, but they have decent prices on the oil.

I can never find Mercury Quicksilver outboard oil for only $5 more per jug but maybe I need to shop around. I am so accustomed to reaching for the Mobil 1 synthetic that I don't even look any longer for other outboard oils.

I can never find Mercury Quicksilver outboard oil for only $5 more per jug but maybe I need to shop around. I am so accustomed to reaching for the Mobil 1 synthetic that I don't even look any longer for other outboard oils.
I should state that her in Arkansas M1 in diesel or gas is $35, and with gas you get 5qts, and diesel you get 4qts. Another option is just like I posted from a screenshot from my phone, just order it from BassPro/ Cabelas while they have it on sale at $40.99. Spend $50 and you get free shipping. I need to order me some because it’s about oil change time for mine, and while they are only like 20 miles from where I live with the free shipping I don’t have to drive to get it and save my fuel. lol

That should say “here in Arkansas “
I can’t find an edit button, so if anyone can clue me in, it would be appreciated.👍

Back