Car using oil on long trips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's not seal swellers. It's seal conditioners that just make them a bit softer and more pliable. Not much swelling going on
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Jack2468
My 98 Towncar seeks to be using oil on long trips.

I changed to Castrol Edge 5W30 with MC FL-820s and immediately took the car on a long (16 hr) trip. Had to add more than half a quart half way through the trip and another 1/2 qt after the trip was done. Then, after getting back and driving my normal amount and finishing out the OCI, it never used another drop.

I changed it again, using the same Edge and 820s as I used before, drove around about 500 miles of normal commuting without using any oil. Then took it on a 1000 mile trip somewhere and it used 3/4 qt on the way there. Drive it another 1000 back and it used a whole quart. After getting back, I put another 1000+ miles on the car doing normal driving and commuting and it didn't use any at all.

My daily commute is about 20 miles each way, taking 20 mins to get to work in the morning and about 45 mins (with traffic) on the way home. The Lincoln does not seem to use any oil in my normal commute, but if I take it on an extended road trip (6-8+ hours), it uses at least 1/2 to 1+ quart of oil. A shorter (roughly 3 hrs) road trip it will not use oil. There are no leaks under the car. Engine runs great, no smoke or oily burning smell from exhaust.

I just changed the oil again, this time using Mobil1 to see if it makes a difference. I know these 4.6 engines are known to have the valve stem seals wear when they get up there in mileage, but wouldn't it use oil all the time if that was the case? This thing only uses any on really long drives and never any on local or shorter trip driving. What do you all think would be causing this?
Probably,higher rpms and load on the extended trips. More Cruise control downshifts = more rpms and burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back