Car Talk

I used to love those guys. Not for their technical knowledge but for their entertainment value. After their show I'd hang around and listen to Red Green. Now you just don't get entertainment like that anymore.

I didn't realize those guys were still around. I remember them when I was a kid.

My kids gave me two CDs "The best of car talk" & "The second best of car talk".
Each has 12 stories. It's been awhile, I'll have to listen to them!

Tom passed away years ago; the article is 6 years old.

I have lots of memories of shows i heard several times. The "Mud Chiggers" segment and also the segment with the dead Schnauzer Classics.

One guy was calling on behalf of a family member; Tom and Ray asked if it was someone close to him; the guy responded "It is actually my sister's husband, that guy means nothing to me!"

Tom passed away years ago; the article is 6 years old.
has it really been that long?...
Wow.. Nov. 3, 2014...

when Tom Died, I got both of their Figures From the movie "Cars" - Rusty (Tom) Rust-eze, and Dusty (Ray) Rust-eze
413-4135487_dusty-and-rusty-rust-eze-disney-pixar-cars.png

----------------------------------Rusty (Tom)---------------------------------------Dusty (Ray)--------------------------------------

Last edited:
Tom was ailing with Alzheimers before he went. Which is why the series ended as "The best of Car Talk".

When he couldn't remember the prior week's Puzzler, he wasn't kidding.

I listened almost religiously from about 1992 until the end of the show. I continued to listen to the best of. I really miss the show, I would like to listen to some of the shows from the 1970s and 1980s, there is a few in the archive on Car Talks website from the 80s, I'd like to go deeper than that.

The show was one of those things that was absolute gold, it was perfect just the way it was and you will never see anything like it again. You just can't recreate that magic. There are a few shows I feel this way about, and unfortunately some of them have no public archive of any of the shows, one of them was last on in mid 90s so its understandable.

I have so many memories associated with the show and what I was doing while listening.

Are there any other shows that are entertaining like Car Talk was that some of us may be unaware of?

Last edited:
Ray has been doing commercials lately for Ebay Motors..... In the style of their old show of course.

"So you're teaching your kid to parallel-park. Easy now, pull up a little. CRUNCH!! Turns out, he likes to do it by feel!".

Brings back memories.

I once heard an April Fools Day parody called "Toaster Talk", where callers called in seeking advice as to what was wrong with their toasters, toast coming out burned or too light, etc. It was pretty funny as well. Of course, this was in New York City, where many people do not own cars, but the great majority have the use of bread toasters.

I listened to them just about every weekend when their show was on NPR. Sweetie loved reading their column in the local fish wrap every Sunday. I fondly remember how she'd reach across the breakfast table, hand me the paper, and say "You gotta read what Tom and Ray have to say today." The technical stuff didn't interest her very much, but she loved their humor

Last edited:
Back