Car salesmen......Talk to me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Internet sale is the only smart way to buy a new car, if you are paying cash. I know, I did it. The dealers "internet manager" and I agreed on a OTD price with NO phone calls and 3-4 emails. Made a small down payment with my CC, test drove the car, gave dealer check for full amount minus down payment, they had most paperwork ready when I arrived. Complete transaction took about 45 min. + my inspection and test drive.

YUP!^^^
My transaction took a little longer...
first dealer visit, drive test car, they don't want to move.
I give them my phone # and leave.
well nobody answer me a week and 2 weeks later.
call, they fired the salesguy, manager does not answer...
call and email to new contacts, propose my price + taxes
couple calls, some text back-and-forth, mostly to clear out their definition of taxes and OTD price, then agree.
no downpayment/deposit requested, they said "here is the picture of the car in the yard on hold for you!"
arrange for used car to trade (different outlet), drive there for appraisal,
drive to dealer, give check, sign papers, shake hands, go for 25 minutes over car features + phone synchro with the new salesguy
drive with car
trade the used car
drive home

may look like a headache, but the final price for the new-ish car was way less then a new car 2 classes lower, 10 years ago....

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Yeah, online quotes from different salesmen, then let other salesmen know they have to beat ___ dealership out the door price.

Still doesn't stop them from first agreeing to an out the door price and then just before the contracts are signed add something on. At that point you either negotiate the add-on, or start all over again for the next online guy to pull the same nonsense.

I've been known to LOWER my offer if a dealer starts playing games.

My time is worth something and it usually sends a strong message when the amount of money I'm willing to spend goes down as a result of apparent shenanigans.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Yeah, online quotes from different salesmen, then let other salesmen know they have to beat ___ dealership out the door price.

Still doesn't stop them from first agreeing to an out the door price and then just before the contracts are signed add something on. At that point you either negotiate the add-on, or start all over again for the next online guy to pull the same nonsense.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I've been known to LOWER my offer if a dealer starts playing games.

My time is worth something and it usually sends a strong message when the amount of money I'm willing to spend goes down as a result of apparent shenanigans.

Java,
I actually borrowed that tip from you when they where trying to push for loan only on their terms...

If you are determined to sell cars the make of car means nothing.
The ratio of salespeople to cars sold is the key.
Some dealers flood the floor with salespeople to create a pack of wolves.
If a dealer averages 100 cars a month and has 5 salespeople your chance of selling 20 is good.
If they have 10 salespeople that drops to 10,not so good.

Just get a $70-80K a year job with benefits and work 40 hours a week... plus all the the OT if necessary.

Sometimes I post jobs looking for help.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

What you say is true. In my case the 'internet manager" advised me that his quote would stand. I advised him, I will not talk to any salesman, etc. if your quote changes by one cent, I will turn around and leave. I actually was stunned when no game playing was tried on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back