Car salesmen......Talk to me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Originally Posted By: JTK

I get it that if you want to be able to trade-in a car towards a new car, you need a place to do it, so why not just leave it at that, service and finance? Let the manufacturer set the price of the new vehicle and you order it from home or a kiosk at a "dealer"?

The reason in my state is that it isn't legal.

I believe Tesla is the only one that does that and they're not in a few states because the state laws requires cars to be sold at dealerships and the manufacturer can't sell them directly. Independent dealers are a powerful lobby in some states.

Originally Posted By: fisher83
The revolving door of salespeople is common too. The dealership doesn’t care. Since it’s more or less straight commission it doesn’t cost them much to have you there if you aren’t producing. Even the worst salesman will probably sell a couple to family and friends before fizzling out and quitting. Either way, the house wins.

If anything, in season, they are apt to really load the floor with 10-15 new salesman (cutting back money and sales on the good salesman) they don't care

Then weed in Oct November..(my state they had to pay minimum wage)

Amazing how local car dealers are able to acquire 250 classic cars
grin.gif

Jerry and June Smith Collection NO RESERVE Auction
March 22 to March 24, 2018

A Special 3 day Auction Event offering the Jerry and June Smith Collection. 250 Vehicles and Thousands of Pieces of Memorabilia all at NO RESERVE https://www.hemmings.com/events/detail?listing_id=51406

Last edited:
The archiaic system of buying cars at a dealer are about to end.

The self service kiosk will be used by 95% of car buyers within 5 years. It’s gonna be like checking in for a flight at the airport.

Originally Posted By: thooks

The self service kiosk will be used by 95% of car buyers within 5 years. It’s gonna be like checking in for a flight at the airport.

How would you do trade ins? How could one agree on a price? Are you suggesting just paying msrp? No thanks.

Buying a car is easy. Call internet sales. 500 over invoice is the norm. If not, tell them, and you can research the list price, what you will pay. If not, move on to the next phone call. Painless

Archaic system, eh? When negotiations stop, the consumer loses. Every time.

If you don't like to haggle, use a vendor that specializes in that type of sale, such as CarMax. You're free to spend too much, but I ain't havin' it.

Car sales drains you. I’d recommend sticking with cell sales and educatation or seeking a better gig out. Car sales are really long hours and it’s of boredom. My brother in law does it and makes between $35k-$160k/year. All depends.

Ever hear of a company called Saturn? They were the no haggle dealership. They went out of business. Turns out people like to haggle. People say the same thing about real estate sales.

Also dealers have a powerful lobby, they've kept Tesla out of a few states because it's illegal in those states for a manufacturer to sell direct.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Ever hear of a company called Saturn? They were the no haggle dealership. They went out of business. Turns out people like to haggle. People say the same thing about real estate sales.

Also dealers have a powerful lobby, they've kept Tesla out of a few states because it's illegal in those states for a manufacturer to sell direct.

I don't know why you keep bringing up Saturn.

GM also closed shop on Pontiac and Oldsmobile. It has nothing to do with haggling.

https://www.forbes.com/2010/03/08/saturn-gm-innovation-leadership-managing-failure.html#3a9b2ccf6ee3

Here's some points from the article since you probably won't read it:

Quote:
--Because of an enthusiastic market response to their "different kind of car," Saturn retailers were chronically short of vehicles for the first five years of production.

--Saturn was the third best-selling car model in the U.S. in 1994. When the production lines switched over to the 1995 models, there were only 400 '94 Saturns left on lots across the country.

--J.D. Powers consistently rated Saturn as among the top three cars in owner and customer sales satisfaction. Even as late as 2000 it ranked second in owner satisfaction, behind Lexus.

--Most of the 9,000 Saturn employees (at the mid-1990s peak) came from other GM plants, through an agreement between GM and the UAW. This different kind of company was created by people who all came from the old, traditional kind of company. They changed the way they thought about the workplace, committed themselves to being world-class and altered many work habits to keep their promises to their customers. And they did so without any external incentives.

--Thanks to a unique partnership between Saturn and its retailers, in 1993 the retailers rebated back to Saturn 1% of the cars' sales price, to get GM's permission to start a third production shift. That brought $13 million to Saturn's bottom line, moving its finances into the black a year ahead of plan.

--Owner enthusiasm went off the charts, as was demonstrated when nearly 100,000 owners attended two "homecoming" celebrations in 1994 and 1999.

But that was then and this is now. What happened to that 1990s success story? Despite what you may read elsewhere, there were just two underlying forces behind Saturn's demise: GM's insistence on managing all its divisions centrally with a tight fist, and the demand by leadership at both GM and the UAW that Saturn get in line with traditional ways of doing things.

Maybe you should actually know what you're talking about before you post things on the internet.

Bottom line, Saturn failed AFTER they were forced to start the status quo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Archaic system, eh? When negotiations stop, the consumer loses. Every time.

If you don't like to haggle, use a vendor that specializes in that type of sale, such as CarMax. You're free to spend too much, but I ain't havin' it.

^^^This.
Also, it pays to be informed of various dealer tactics:
AKA, posting the price with all possible discounts applied... but you don't qualify for most of them....
So I went to a different state where the posted price is the one of the sale...
Also, I did use Carmax.... for the sale of my car. I got more then dealer estimates. A bit more headache, but it allowed me to buy a new-ish car for way less money than a new car 2 classes lower 10 years ago...

Without any guesswork:

Saturn commenced business with a no-haggle plan.
For one reason or another, GM pulled the plug on Saturn.

Originally Posted By: Subdued

I don't know why you keep bringing up Saturn.

GM also closed shop on Pontiac and Oldsmobile. It has nothing to do with haggling.

https://www.forbes.com/2010/03/08/saturn-gm-innovation-leadership-managing-failure.html#3a9b2ccf6ee3

Here's some points from the article since you probably won't read it:

Quote:
--Because of an enthusiastic market response to their "different kind of car," Saturn retailers were chronically short of vehicles for the first five years of production.

--Saturn was the third best-selling car model in the U.S. in 1994. When the production lines switched over to the 1995 models, there were only 400 '94 Saturns left on lots across the country.

--J.D. Powers consistently rated Saturn as among the top three cars in owner and customer sales satisfaction. Even as late as 2000 it ranked second in owner satisfaction, behind Lexus.

--Most of the 9,000 Saturn employees (at the mid-1990s peak) came from other GM plants, through an agreement between GM and the UAW. This different kind of company was created by people who all came from the old, traditional kind of company. They changed the way they thought about the workplace, committed themselves to being world-class and altered many work habits to keep their promises to their customers. And they did so without any external incentives.

--Thanks to a unique partnership between Saturn and its retailers, in 1993 the retailers rebated back to Saturn 1% of the cars' sales price, to get GM's permission to start a third production shift. That brought $13 million to Saturn's bottom line, moving its finances into the black a year ahead of plan.

--Owner enthusiasm went off the charts, as was demonstrated when nearly 100,000 owners attended two "homecoming" celebrations in 1994 and 1999.

But that was then and this is now. What happened to that 1990s success story? Despite what you may read elsewhere, there were just two underlying forces behind Saturn's demise: GM's insistence on managing all its divisions centrally with a tight fist, and the demand by leadership at both GM and the UAW that Saturn get in line with traditional ways of doing things.

Maybe you should actually know what you're talking about before you post things on the internet.

Bottom line, Saturn failed AFTER they were forced to start the status quo.

You will notice that no one else copied has copied Saturn except maybe Tesla and they're losing billions. Maybe you can do that at the higher end of the market. Same problem with Carmax too, lots of people won't do business with them as mentioned in this thread. It's sorta like electric cars, Prius has been around a while, but they've had trouble making inroads to eliminating gasoline cars.

I have a feeling that the center placed gauge cluster had something to do too with Saturn’s success...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: nap
I have a feeling that the center placed gauge cluster had something to do too with Saturn’s success...
laugh.gif

Yeah, they were nice cars buy silly placed gauges were a turn off for me.

I don’t see that happening. A person is required to show car, features, take information,get a car for test drive, and help process along. A kiosk can exist however can not replace the car salesman role.

All car makers were no haggle.

Who buys cars from GM, Ford, Toyota, etc? Not you and me, it's the dealerships.

The car maker sets the price. No haggling.

Haggling is a dealership to consumer function, not a car maker to dealership function. So a car maker going out of business has almost zero to do with consumer level deals. It has more to do with the appeal of the product to the consumer.

In a few cases, such as Saturn and Scion, the franchise agreement indicates a no-dicker-sticker. But one would be kidding themselves if they didn't think negotiations didn't happen. There were trade-ins and financing and the sale of factory certified fuzzy dice.

I never understood why anyone would buy a car from Saturn or any of the "no dicker" dealerships. With Saturn it just meant you were paying list price or more for a common GM car.

In the late 90s my soon to be wife decided on a Saturn. As a GM employee I could get the family discount. Went to the dealer, ordered the car and gave them my credit card for a deposit. Price was set by GM with no ups or extras allowed. They came back with the paperwork and added an unauthorized doc fee. Wouldn't do the deal without it. Against my better judgement, I said ok. Then I noticed they overcharged sales tax by a lot. I asked them to fix it. They wouldn't. I walked. Ended up buying her a much nicer new economy Camaro for less money.

I sold cars for awhile.
the dealer will get about 90% of the profit.
it's a lousy job.
i would rather stand on the corner with a cardboard sign then work for the greedy dealer again.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser

How would you do trade ins? How could one agree on a price? Are you suggesting just paying msrp? No thanks.

Buying a car is easy. Call internet sales. 500 over invoice is the norm. If not, tell them, and you can research the list price, what you will pay. If not, move on to the next phone call. Painless

Internet sale is the only smart way to buy a new car, if you are paying cash. I know, I did it. The dealers "internet manager" and I agreed on a OTD price with NO phone calls and 3-4 emails. Made a small down payment with my CC, test drove the car, gave dealer check for full amount minus down payment, they had most paperwork ready when I arrived. Complete transaction took about 45 min. + my inspection and test drive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back