Bent steel wheel?

Some cars have notorious easily bendable steel rims. '08 - '12 Malibu's for example.
Lucky to find a straight one in a JY and they want almost as much for one as new. I wound up with new for snow tires.

There online retailers who deal with used but reconditioned steel wheels and if you buy new or slightly larger, you're looking at about 100.00 USD

Only after the new axles were installed have I been dealing with:

1) Persistent vibrations

I don't want to tell the service rep that his shop mechanic/owner is lying to me or something.
You already know the most likely source of the vibration from the above statement. The front two steel rims were not magically bent when they removed them to replace the axles unless they hit a curb/pothole during a test drive. Your odds are 50/50 that any remanufactured aftermarket CV axle will be vibration free. You only have 3 options here: (1) hold the shop accountable for their repair, (2) live with the vibration, or (3) pay out-of-pocket to have another shop find and remedy the problem.

You already know the most likely source of the vibration from the above statement. The front two steel rims were not magically bent when they removed them to replace the axles unless they hit a curb/pothole during a test drive. Your odds are 50/50 that any remanufactured aftermarket CV axle will be vibration free. You only have 3 options here: (1) hold the shop accountable for their repair, (2) live with the vibration, or (3) pay out-of-pocket to have another shop find and remedy the problem.

I'm going to try to hold the shop accountable.

Here's an update on the saga:

The shop just replaced my front wheel bearings. That solved the droning from the front. The car also coasts much much much better now. I was getting an almost Regen braking effect earlier before the wheel bearing service.

They also drained and filled the trans fluid as they said that was probably also causing some of my vibration complaints.

I spoke with the service manager and he was adamant that the front rims were bent. He recommended a shop for me to go to for bent rims.

The service manager also noted that they did replace another CV axle under warranty, but only because the threads on the axle were apparently damaged during wheel bearing service. Not because the CV axle was causing vibrations. So I guess that's cool?

I went to the bent rim fix place that they recommended. The rim place is adamant that nothing is bent.

The only thing that rim place found was that the 2 rear tires were out of round and need replacement.

Last edited:
Bent wheels, alloy or steel is really common. Just had a cop Exploder with one yesterday. Spin em on the balancer, step back and watch. Should be real obvious

I'm going to try to hold the shop accountable.

Here's an update on the saga:
I went to the bent rim fix place that they recommended. The rim place is adamant that nothing is bent.

The only thing that rim place found was that the 2 rear tires were out of round and need replacement.
BAZINGA!

Reminds me of my divorce.....I used an appraiser my ex-wife recommended. She didn't like the value he came up with. Too bad, you wanted to use him.....

More seriously, good on you for staying on this and thank you for updating us.

Popcorn buttered.....awaiting more blow-by-blow. Geesh maybe I should get a life....

BAZINGA!

Reminds me of my divorce.....I used an appraiser my ex-wife recommended. She didn't like the value he came up with. Too bad, you wanted to use him.....

More seriously, good on you for staying on this and thank you for updating us.

Popcorn buttered.....awaiting more blow-by-blow. Geesh maybe I should get a life....
That being said, the vibration does seem to have mostly disappeared.

So this is where I'm at now:

1) Shop replaced front wheel bearings and drained/filled the transmission. Shop insists that the CVs were not causing the vibration, but instead that the transmission was likely causing some of the vibration I complained about. Shop also insisted that the remaining vibration is caused by bent front rims. Shop also replaces a CV axle under warranty because they damaged the threads on a CV during wheel bearing service. Shop recommends a dedicated tire/rim shop to visit.

2) I visit the recommended tire/rim shop. The recommended dedicated tire/rim shop says front rims are A-okay. The recommended dedicated tire/rim shop says the only issue they could find is that the two rear tires have excessive radial runout and that I should get them warrantied (through Discount Tire).

3) Nonetheless, I have barely any vibrations driving the car after the wheel bearing and trans service. Almost no vibrations accelerating 0-80, almost no vibration accelerating while turning, the car is very smooth, on par with the 2023 Jeep Wagoneer with 17k miles that I rented while this car was in the shop. I'd say that 97 to 99% of the original vibrations that caused me to post this thread have disappeared. I'm guessing the residual slight vibration might have to do with the out-of-round rear tires.

So I'm EXTREMELY confused. But also happy. Happy that I didn't have to fight my shop to fix the vibration issue.

But I'm STILL concerned about the apparent lateral runout in the front wheels that my shop found. While there's effectively none to very minimal vibration now, I'm STILL worried about WHY the shop thought the front rims were bent.

Any suggestions, guys?

Last edited:
Changing tranny fluid reducing vibration? Lol
That's what I thought too, but I'm not going to complain, as it was probably a good idea to service the transmission anyway, given that it's never been serviced before. You know, "lifetime" fluid and all that.

That's what I thought too, but I'm not going to complain, as it was probably a good idea to service the transmission anyway, given that it's never been serviced before. You know, "lifetime" fluid and all that.
Yeah but if they think changing ATF is going to resolve a vibration from a defective CV axle I wouldn’t trust anything they tell you.

Yeah but if they think changing ATF is going to resolve a vibration from a defective CV axle I wouldn’t trust anything they tell you.
If I could click like x1000 I would.

And the transmission EXCUSE doesn't explain why your symptoms started after the half shafts were replaced. Here again we're asked to believe your transmission magically developed a....shudder?....dirty fluid?.....while the shafts were being replaced.

The most likely explanation is that the shaft they replaced was the culprit. And what major shop doesn't have a Kastar or similar re-threading kit for EXACTLY the scenario they claim caused them to replace the shaft??????

"We're so magnanimous, we replaced a new axle due to damaged threads but not because it was causing a vibration that started as soon as we installed said axle."

It's like a Jedi mind trick (did they wave their hand across your face?): "These are not the CV axles you're looking for...."

Also as a machinist I find it laughable to say anyone competent would replace a new, GOOD axle due to damaged threads. We have the technology to fix that now.... :(

Also in thinking on this further, the most likely explanation is almost surely the truth:

They didn't want to do the job again for free. They may have even truly believed the axles were not to blame, AND that your wheels were bent.....but this would be like the crack addict believing he "can quit anytime." Any of us can believe anything -- at least for awhile -- if we want to badly enough.

So, they upsold you a trans service and found a convenient excuse to replace an axle and maybe a wheel bearing. Again, if there was deception I'm not even sure they consciously realized they were hunting for ways to handle a comeback and still get paid.

I'm glad you've got the situation resolved to your satisfaction but I'd be leary of that shop in the future.

The most likely explanation is that the shaft they replaced was the culprit. And what major shop doesn't have a Kastar or similar re-threading kit for EXACTLY the scenario they claim caused them to replace the shaft??????

"We're so magnanimous, we replaced a new axle due to damaged threads but not because it was causing a vibration that started as soon as we installed said axle."

It's like a Jedi mind trick (did they wave their hand across your face?): "These are not the CV axles you're looking for...."

Also as a machinist I find it laughable to say anyone competent would replace a new, GOOD axle due to damaged threads. We have the technology to fix that now.... :(
D60 speaketh the truth!!!

The shop was not willing to walk back their stance that their aftermarket axle(s) were not defective, so they made up the story about damaging the threads on the axle. I have literally replaced over 20 CV axles in my driveway and have NEVER damaged any threads even when tapping stuck axles out of the knuckle with a hammer.

IF (and I emphasize IF) they actually changed out the ATF, it was to offset the labor incurred to replace the defective axle. I encourage you to pull the dipstick and check to see if the ATF looks bright cherry red and does not smell oxidized. At this point, you just need to count this experience as a lesson-learned and move on to a different shop for future repairs...or better yet, pick up some wrenching skills. YouTube videos are a great resource for car maintenance...as long as you stay far, far away from Scotty Kilmer. LOL.

D60 speaketh the truth!!!

The shop was not willing to walk back their stance that their aftermarket axle(s) were not defective, so they made up the story about damaging the threads on the axle. I have literally replaced over 20 CV axles in my driveway and have NEVER damaged any threads even when tapping stuck axles out of the knuckle with a hammer.

IF (and I emphasize IF) they actually changed out the ATF, it was to offset the labor incurred to replace the defective axle. I encourage you to pull the dipstick and check to see if the ATF looks bright cherry red and does not smell oxidized. At this point, you just need to count this experience as a lesson-learned and move on to a different shop for future repairs...or better yet, pick up some wrenching skills. YouTube videos are a great resource for car maintenance...as long as you stay far, far away from Scotty Kilmer. LOL.
Unfortunately there's no dipstick. Otherwise I'd just have done the drain/fill myself. I've thought about pulling the fill and drain plugs but kept pushing off the idea of doing it myself.

Agreed. Driver's side CV on my car seems fairly straightforward to pull and replace. Pass side a little more involved but not impossible.

Last edited:
That being said, the vibration does seem to have mostly disappeared.

So this is where I'm at now:

1) Shop replaced front wheel bearings and drained/filled the transmission. Shop insists that the CVs were not causing the vibration, but instead that the transmission was likely causing some of the vibration I complained about. Shop also insisted that the remaining vibration is caused by bent front rims. Shop also replaces a CV axle under warranty because they damaged the threads on a CV during wheel bearing service. Shop recommends a dedicated tire/rim shop to visit.

2) I visit the recommended tire/rim shop. The recommended dedicated tire/rim shop says front rims are A-okay. The recommended dedicated tire/rim shop says the only issue they could find is that the two rear tires have excessive radial runout and that I should get them warrantied (through Discount Tire).

3) Nonetheless, I have barely any vibrations driving the car after the wheel bearing and trans service. Almost no vibrations accelerating 0-80, almost no vibration accelerating while turning, the car is very smooth, on par with the 2023 Jeep Wagoneer with 17k miles that I rented while this car was in the shop. I'd say that 97 to 99% of the original vibrations that caused me to post this thread have disappeared. I'm guessing the residual slight vibration might have to do with the out-of-round rear tires.

So I'm EXTREMELY confused. But also happy. Happy that I didn't have to fight my shop to fix the vibration issue.

But I'm STILL concerned about the apparent lateral runout in the front wheels that my shop found. While there's effectively none to very minimal vibration now, I'm STILL worried about WHY the shop thought the front rims were bent.

Any suggestions, guys?
So they replaced one CV axle and now you are mostly vibration free? Seems like you are done until you get your rear tires warrantied.

Also in thinking FURTHER yet, the slightly worse version is the tech failed to properly tighten the outer nut when he installed round #1 of axles.

This will pretty much trash a wb guaranteed if it was too loose, could cause (or at least exacerbate) a shimmy under acceleration, and might cause damage to the threads.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but it's not really a stretch to equate the need for a new wheel bearing and reported damaged threads to negligence, generally speaking. Specifics of your exact make and model may make my hypothesis more or less likely.

Also in thinking FURTHER yet, the slightly worse version is the tech failed to properly tighten the outer nut when he installed round #1 of axles.

This will pretty much trash a wb guaranteed if it was too loose, could cause (or at least exacerbate) a shimmy under acceleration, and might cause damage to the threads.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but it's not really a stretch to equate the need for a new wheel bearing and reported damaged threads to negligence, generally speaking. Specifics of your exact make and model may make my hypothesis more or less likely.
Good idea. I will check the axle nut torque pronto.

I also can't help but wonder if the trans "issues" started after pulling and reinstalling the CV's...from my understanding the trans does lose fluid when the CV's are pulled.

Edit: actually, probably going to be hard to check the torque of a staked nut ;).

Good idea. I will check the axle nut torque pronto.

I also can't help but wonder if the trans "issues" started after pulling and reinstalling the CV's...from my understanding the trans does lose fluid when the CV's are pulled.

Edit: actually, probably going to be hard to check the torque of a staked nut ;).
Yeah, most leak some fluid when the shafts are pulled. How much varies a lot by manufacturer.

As for axle nut torque you're probably ok now but the first time if the tech was rushed he may have failed to tighten one side or thought and he did and could have even quickly staked it and thrown the wheel on. There's obviously no way to know now on the side that was re-done.

Anyway I don't mean to be so harsh on your shop but there are a lot of holes in their story. However you're the official on the field so if your call is that they're honest and well-intentioned, then that's the call that stands

Back