Car accident question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: dja4260
I called Amica and started the claim. Someone from their end is going to contact me before Monday afternoon. Amica representative clearly stated that just because the police report says their client was at fault and their driver was issued the citation, Amica may not liable for my repairs.

I'd like the repairs done swiftly as I have a business trip in two weeks and I'm driving.

If Amica refuses the rental, repair at the facility of my choice, etc, I'll start the process with my insurance.

I called my insurance to make them aware. They didn't care and said that if Amica doesn't cooperate, call them on my behalf. They didn't require any notice on my part. FYI

Was this stated by the person you talked to? Or your opinion? What does your policy state? Your policy is gospel with an insurance company.

My Travelers insurance representative that I spoke to. I have nothing to prove or disprove what I was told. I'll see if I can dig up my policy info.

It may vary by state law.

Here, Her insurance should take care of everything.
Car repair, rental car and loss of value..... if they determine she is 100% at fault.

If they determine you are partially at fault, then your insurance gets involved and they work out payment.

What type of loss of value can I expect?

Realistically, the car will get a new bumper, emblems, and light assembly (headlight/fog light) because they're heavily scratched.

My expectation is that I get a rental and can take the car to my shop of choice for the repair. Is there a $$ I request in regards to the loss of value.

The vehicle is in excellent condition.

Realistically, the car will get a new bumper, emblems, and light assembly (headlight/fog light) because they're heavily scratched.

My expectation is that I get a rental and can take the car to my shop of choice for the repair. Is there a $$ I request in regards to the loss of value.

Some on here have argued about loss of value-few, very few have been successful. I find that minor accidents-like you are describing have zero affect on trade--in value at dealerships. I mean zero. I traded in a 4Runner-it had the passenger's side front fender replaced-due to a dent on a windy day with an (apparent) shopping cart. The used car appraiser did indeed catch the fact it didn't have matching serial numbers-but after I explain the parking lot incident it had zero effect on the trade in value. Only a professional could tell the fender was repainted at a later time.

That's been my experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

Some on here have argued about loss of value-few, very few have been successful. I find that minor accidents-like you are describing have zero affect on trade--in value at dealerships. I mean zero. I traded in a 4Runner-it had the passenger's side front fender replaced-due to a dent on a windy day with an (apparent) shopping cart. The used car appraiser did indeed catch the fact it didn't have matching serial numbers-but after I explain the parking lot incident it had zero effect on the trade in value. Only a professional could tell the fender was repainted at a later time.

That's been my experience.

I found a calculation to find roughly my "loss of value". It came in at a whopping $140. I do plan on keeping this car forever so it's not a big deal. My hope is to get the car repaired at my shop of choice and get a suitable rental for the duration of the repair.

We were hit in the exact same location within six months. Both were ca $6k bills that required tailgate replacement.

One was a hit in a lot with nobody in our vehicle. The other was a hit and run where I got pics and the guilty party was found.

First one I left our insurer out of it completely. Why should they incur cost (which will be passed along to me) when I can suitably use the legal system?

Second one we handled through our insurance, and they ultimately collected in full on the insurance of the fleeing party's vehicle's owner. We even got our deductible returned.

The question is how good is Amica? If they are lousy like Allstate and Progressive, prepare to sue the owner and possibly the insurance company yourself. If they're good like Travelers (with whom we have been pleased), I'd rest easy.

Do find your own shop who dies work and has knowledge to your standards. Don't feel forced to go to one of these direct referral shops who agree to work to the insurance company's standards and accept a set price.

If the other driver was cited then your vehicle and your name are in the police report.
I always at least call my insurance even for minor stuff and give them info. If someone rear ends you and they put in a claim that you reversed into them then you can look pretty guilty. Don't ask me how I know, but you can guess.

When I was rear-ended in April, I requested payment for diminished value. The standard is 25% of the cost of the repair. So my $2,342 repair was going to be $585. I felt that wasn't enough since now the Carfax on my car is going to show an accident and it was clean before. I finally got the guy to give me 40%, which was $936.

Being your car is a 2013, I'm not sure how it will be getting a diminished value claim. You can try, it doesn't hurt.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
When I was rear-ended in April, I requested payment for diminished value. The standard is 25% of the cost of the repair. So my $2,342 repair was going to be $585. I felt that wasn't enough since now the Carfax on my car is going to show an accident and it was clean before. I finally got the guy to give me 40%, which was $936.

That is one EXPENSIVE bumper cover. That little trim piece cost 30% of what you paid for the car. Since you bought it for $10k.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

That is one EXPENSIVE bumper cover. That little trim piece cost 30% of what you paid for the car. Since you bought it for $10k.

It all adds up quick, here's the paperwork. They had to replace the bumper and the steel bumper behind it.

2ijkc5l.jpg

2w6fa81.jpg

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

It all adds up quick, here's the paperwork. They had to replace the bumper and the steel bumper behind it.

2ijkc5l.jpg

2w6fa81.jpg

I can't believe they approved to put that on the frame machine!

Yeah State Farm came out with an adjuster and they came up with the same stuff. Had to make sure nothing was tweaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back