Can you bump start a manual car that has push button start?

I haven't tried it and don't want to because running my battery down wouldn't be good for it, but I'm just wondering if I needed to, could I bump start a manual car that has push button start?

hmmm, I don't see why not. If you hit the start button without your foot on the brake is the same as turning the key on but not enough to engage the starter. Why would it run your battery down to try it on your car?

presumably yes as long as the crank sensor signal is there at super low push starting rpms and you have fuel\spark as soon as the button is pressed

most of these cars have clutch safety switches if you meant trying to bump it around with the starter motor

Is there a push button car with a manual trans? I'm guessing yes, but wondering if it's an answer in search of a question.

These days I wonder if it'd be smart. I'd hope the ECU et al would work properly at a voltage too low to spin the motor. But... would they?

most of these cars have clutch safety switches
This too.

Being able to push start a standard tranny car was always a good thing. Had to do it in my 300ZX a couple of times.

I lived at the top of a hill in college, had a bad starter for about a year. Luckily in a small town I could leave my old plymouth running while I ran into the bank, Walmart, or anywhere that I didn't have to let it idle for more than 30 minutes....the good old days

We had an isuzu rodeo that I drove for a couple weeks with a dead starter. I just backed up on top of those little curbs in parking lots. Rolling off was usually enough to get it going.

Is there a push button car with a manual trans? I'm guessing yes, but wondering if it's an answer in search of a question.

These days I wonder if it'd be smart. I'd hope the ECU et al would work properly at a voltage too low to spin the motor. But... would they?

This too.

My 2012 Mazda 3 has push button start and a 6 speed manual.

It's not voltage, but available current that is probably more important. I.E. a low battery may still read close to 12v, but at the lower voltage, cannot turn the starter. But I suspect it may be enough to power up the fuel pump, ECU and fire the injectors.

But I carry one of the little jump packs as that is more practical than trying to bump start a car in most cases.

I've noticed that the newer owner's manuals discourage bump (push) starting. They warn that push starting a manual can harm the new electronic bits. I used to push start the old Chevette and Tercel I drove way back in the day just for kicks. I may have even done so on my old '97 Sonoma. I don't think I would risk it on a current model.

My 2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport has a 6 speed manual and a push button start as does my wife's Audi.
I just tried my Elantra and yes, it starts. I had to put the car in the run mode by pressing the button twice without pushing in on the clutch. Then I coasted it out of the driveway, popped the clutch and it started.

This too.

A C7 Corvette is an example of a car that was available with a pushbutton start and a manual trans.

As to the ECM I know in heavy trucks a Series 60 DDEC V will turn the engine fast enough to start without activating the ECM. You can start it on starting fluid and once it "sees" the voltage from the alternator it will activate. This however does not preclude roll starting (with enough of a hill) or pull starting as again once the alternator starts putting out voltage the ECM will activate. I suspect a passenger vehicle would behave similarly.

My 2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport has a 6 speed manual and a push button start as does my wife's Audi.
I just tried my Elantra and yes, it starts. I had to put the car in the run mode by pressing the button twice without pushing in on the clutch. Then I coasted it out of the driveway, popped the clutch and it started.

That's awesome. Thanks for testing, i idiotically thought I'd need a dead battery to try it. What gear did you use?

hmmm, I don't see why not. If you hit the start button without your foot on the brake is the same as turning the key on but not enough to engage the starter. Why would it run your battery down to try it on your car?

For some reason I thought I needed it dead. Pre-coffee post clearly. My mistake.

Probably wouldn’t work if the battery is completely dead and/or has a failed cell, but if there is enough battery to get the electronics working you should be good to go.

Back