Can you bump start a manual car that has push button start?

... I've noticed that the newer owner's manuals discourage bump (push) starting. They warn that push starting a manual can harm the new electronic bits. ...
"Newer?" Like my '81 Mazda's manual? It has that warning, not because of "electronic bits," but to save the catalytic converter from being overwhelmed with unburned fuel in a worst-case scenario. I felt safe ignoring that advice, because I knew enough to avoid that scenario.

Probably wouldn’t work if the battery is completely dead and/or has a failed cell, but if there is enough battery to get the electronics working you should be good to go.

That wouldn't work on a traditional car, either, as it needs some voltage to run the field circuit in the alternator.

That wouldn't work on a traditional car, either, as it needs some voltage to run the field circuit in the alternator.
When the battery in the van died it would start off a jump and continue running if I held the RPM’s at 2500 but all the displays were freaking out and it would die if I let it idle.

back in the ’day, 9V during crank was considered adequate and 7 (IIRC) was considered the point where the magic stops (1957 Chevrolet shop manual). The starter contacts would bypass the ballast resistor feeding the spark coil to compensate for the lower voltage.

new vehicles I’d guess can power the ecu on 10v. I say this because I know of cars that start and fire on batteries with a bad cell.

m

Why not just get a jump pack like the one below in case this happens? It will literally fit in your glove box, and can be recharged from any 12V outlet...
Noco Jump Pack
Yep - have one in each of our vehicles. Got mine at Costco....so much better than f'ing around with cables. Just have to make sure they stay charged.

I thought most newer models, for about the last 30 years, have a safety switch that requires the clutch to be pushed in to start????

I thought most newer models, for about the last 30 years, have a safety switch that requires the clutch to be pushed in to start????
That wouldn't cause a problem during a "bump start," assuming the safety switch only disables the starter.

Assuming you're trying this because the battery is dead, I am going to say a big no. No way to power up the electronics and switch the ignition on.

"Newer?" Like my '81 Mazda's manual? It has that warning, not because of "electronic bits," but to save the catalytic converter from being overwhelmed with unburned fuel in a worst-case scenario. I felt safe ignoring that advice, because I knew enough to avoid that scenario.
More like my wife's 2015 S60.

close but different. The clutch is required to turn over the starter motor. But a bump start doesn’t need the starter.

Uh, no. Speaking about my Mazda, if you do not have your foot on the brake, a single push turns on ACC, a second push places it in the on position just like if it had a physical key. I suspect (but haven't tried) that a push start would work because in this position, the CEL and other lights come on just as if the car had stalled while running.

So you don't need to hold it down.

The ECU is smart enough to figure out that if you have your foot on the brake and press the button while the engine is not running, you want to start the car, not place it in the ACC position to listen to the radio.

Therefore, I don't believe you would need to hold down the button while attempting to push start the car, just get it into the run mode based on how the car maker implemented the pushbutton.

Yes you have to be holding the button down as you run though.

Cars that had automatic transmissions equipped with rear pumps could also be push-started.

You bring back memories of my '66 Nova with a powerglide. Won many a wager that it could be push started from unbelievers who thought all automatics could not.

Back