can should bmw rotors be turned?

If they look good, exceed minimum thickness and the brakes did not shudder, I would rough them up and reinstall them for further use. Those OEM rotors are likely better than any replacements.
How is that done? What's the technique and appropriate material for roughing up a rotor?

I believe Zimmerman is OEM and they appear to be zinc coated today. If the zinc is gone that would stink. They really don’t rust….
Maybe I'm wrong, the only BMWs I've owned are M cars and don't have Geomet.

BMW dealers use a lathe which allows the rotors to be cut while on the car (Video in the link).

I had that done on the Camry at a local, independent shop. Seemed to work great. The rotors looked good and measured within spec at a subsequent inspection.

I had that done on the Camry at a local, independent shop. Seemed to work great. The rotors looked good and measured within spec at a subsequent inspection.
I may do that on my 435i but I have some time. It's hard to locate OE rotors for my vehicle.

Isn't that "turning" them?

Jaded Old Man Observation:
Parts countermen and fora members automatically rejecting the possibility of turning / dressing an in service rotor without consideration of thickness or cost or quality-of-replacement by burping the line, "It ain't worth it. Just replace 'em", sounds to me like the foolish people saying, "The repair costs more than the car is worth".
You can actually weigh factors and make a smart decision as there aren't that many considerations.

It doesn't look like anyone has answered your question yet so here goes: No, turning them involves putting them in a lathe and removing some material from both faces of the rotors so that all of the grooves and scratches are removed and the two surfaces are absolutely perpendicular to the axis of rotation. Turning brake drums and brake rotors used to be a standard practice but today most car manufacturers are supplying rotors that are too thin to be "turned" and still have a minimum required thickness. All brake shops should have a chart showing the minimum thickness for all rotors of all brands. If a used rotor isn't think enough to be turned or if it is damaged too deply then it has to be replaced.

Many people that are on TIGHT budgets won't turn rotors, even damaged ones, and they simply scuff up the surface and clean them up as best as they can and reuse them. But for liability reasons, you're not going find a shop that will do that.

It doesn't look like anyone has answered your question yet so here goes: No, turning them involves putting them in a lathe and removing some material from both faces of the rotors so that all of the grooves and scratches are removed and the two surfaces are absolutely perpendicular to the axis of rotation. Turning brake drums and brake rotors used to be a standard practice but today most car manufacturers are supplying rotors that are too thin to be "turned" and still have a minimum required thickness. All brake shops should have a chart showing the minimum thickness for all rotors of all brands. If a used rotor isn't think enough to be turned or if it is damaged too deply then it has to be replaced.

Many people that are on TIGHT budgets won't turn rotors, even damaged ones, and they simply scuff up the surface and clean them up as best as they can and reuse them. But for liability reasons, you're not going find a shop that will do that.
Many rotors have their minimum thickness stamped into the material. You may have to look for the info as the rotors aren't all stamped in the same place, and it may be very difficult or impossible to find on a badly rusted rotor.

helping a freind do front brakes on a 2019 bmw x5 go5 40. 38k miles. the pads are down , but the rotors look good. seems like a lot of meat left. have read many times that bmw never turns rotors and just replaces them . new rotors for this thing are $200 each.

So can BMW rotors be turned ?
No

I believe Zimmerman is OEM and they appear to be zinc coated today. If the zinc is gone that would stink. They really don’t rust….
Zimmerman is OE only on E82 and E90 with Brembo package. All other BMW’s get Brembo, ATE or Pagid rotors and ATE, Jurid, Pagid or Textar pads.

Back