can should bmw rotors be turned?

helping a freind do front brakes on a 2019 bmw x5 go5 40. 38k miles. the pads are down , but the rotors look good. seems like a lot of meat left. have read many times that bmw never turns rotors and just replaces them . new rotors for this thing are $200 each.

So can BMW rotors be turned ?

helping a freind do front brakes on a 2019 bmw x5 go5 40. 38k miles. the pads are down , but the rotors look good. seems like a lot of meat left. have read many times that bmw never turns rotors and just replaces them . new rotors for this thing are $200 each.

BMW started to turn rotors about 10 years ago. You'll have to look on the rotor itself for the stamp which indicates the min thickness. This number obviously would have to be met after you've had the rotors turned.

If they look good, exceed minimum thickness and the brakes did not shudder, I would rough them up and reinstall them for further use. Those OEM rotors are likely better than any replacements.

Last edited:
Just dress them with a brake rotor disc
Isn't that "turning" them?

Jaded Old Man Observation:
Parts countermen and fora members automatically rejecting the possibility of turning / dressing an in service rotor without consideration of thickness or cost or quality-of-replacement by burping the line, "It ain't worth it. Just replace 'em", sounds to me like the foolish people saying, "The repair costs more than the car is worth".
You can actually weigh factors and make a smart decision as there aren't that many considerations.

Waiting for someone to mention FCP 😂

Much as I don’t like to waste, I never did just replaced. But at the time my E92 335 fronts were $140 OE.

I have a pair of turned Lexus rotors because I bought my car used and dealer was going to do that but I insisted on new OE. So they gave me the turned ones anyway. They look funny to me, as if the job was as good as the tech. But I’m no expert as I’ve never installed a turned rotor…

Much as I don’t like to waste, I never did just replaced. But at the time my E92 335 fronts were $140 OE.

I have a pair of turned Lexus rotors because I bought my car used and dealer was going to do that but I insisted on new OE. So they gave me the turned ones anyway. They look funny to me, as if the job was as good as the tech. But I’m no expert as I’ve never installed a turned rotor…

Btw....I don't buy from them 😔

One thing about BMW rotors is they don’t rust after 10 years on the car in the Northeast. They came from the factory with a zinc coating.

A GM rotor has the same appearance but was baked in nitrogen. It rusts in about 3 years.

So I would wonder when a person cuts the rotor, there would be a possibility of introducing a lip. Because the pads cut the zinc coating off the new rotor, so only the swept part is exposed.

Contrast this to a Lexus or Infiniti. I call it a (rust) stripe of shame. They all have large lips where the pads don’t sweep.

My .02.

Most people must not bother, but I’m peeping at rotors in parking lots and noting who got the $600 Midas aftermarket job with $29 rotors and who has OE 😂

Not anymore. BMW went to less aggressive pads on some of their newer models. Machining rotors with a pro-cut is something that is being done at the dealer level for warranty and customer pay.
Yes and no. They have low dust/less aggressive option, mid one or old fashioned aggressive, dusty option which is usually base option in Europe.

BMW dealers use a lathe which allows the rotors to be cut while on the car (Video in the link).

BMW dealers use a lathe which allows the rotors to be cut while on the car (Video in the link).

Imagine when I bought my car (Dec 2006) you just asked and if within reason they just replaced anything and everything under free maintenance (if not warranty) including rotors and pads. Now owners pay more and get less. Be curious if they do that in Germany I doubt it

One thing about BMW rotors is they don’t rust after 10 years on the car in the Northeast. They came from the factory with a zinc coating.

A GM rotor has the same appearance but was baked in nitrogen. It rusts in about 3 years.

So I would wonder when a person cuts the rotor, there would be a possibility of introducing a lip. Because the pads cut the zinc coating off the new rotor, so only the swept part is exposed.

Contrast this to a Lexus or Infiniti. I call it a (rust) stripe of shame. They all have large lips where the pads don’t sweep.

My .02.

Most people must not bother, but I’m peeping at rotors in parking lots and noting who got the $600 Midas aftermarket job with $29 rotors and who has OE 😂
They all rust. The Germans these days likes the water-based Geomet coating, which will eventually fail in the Northeast in not much time.

I've had Centrics with the electrostatic coating, and they fare better than the Geomet coating in my experience.

thanks for the info. he does have a slight pulsing while going downhill. going to measure them and see how much meat left and decide from there

They all rust. The Germans these days likes the water-based Geomet coating, which will eventually fail in the Northeast in not much time.

I've had Centrics with the electrostatic coating, and they fare better than the Geomet coating in my experience.
Never seen a BMW rotor with Geomet.

Back