Can I use this oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally use Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30, but no one carries it nearby anymore, so I was gonna order it online, but someone snatched the last 6-pack of it. The internet also has Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 Euro L available however. Specs here : http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-ultra-synthetic-oil/#Specifications

Is it okay to use that, or should I hold out for/find the non-Euro L stuff?

Keep in mind that it's still under warranty, and if something goes wrong I don't want oil to be an issue. I guess it's still 5w-30, but I don't know how that stuff works.

Thanks in advance.

What spec does your manual state? Id venture to guess that you want the Euro L oil... Its not what you usually use, it is what specs are required to meet warranty. Consult your OM and report back.

Use API Certified SAE 5W-30 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade.

The normal Ultra meets that standard. The Euro L meets Fiat 9.55535-S1 & Chrysler MS-11106, but doesn't mention MS-6395.

IIRC, the normally aspirated Fiat 500 as sold in this country calls for an API spec 5W-30.
The Euro spec Ultra 5W-30 is going to be a minimum 3.5 HTHSv oil, so it is much thicker at operating temperature than your car needs.
If it also meets the required API spec, which is very possible, you could use it, but you wouldn't be doing the engine any favors using an oil thicker than what it requires.
This might also be a low SAPS oil, with low TBN, since Euro L appears to be aimed primarily at diesels.
If you can't find Ultra 5W-30, there's always PP or M1.
Either oil would be fine for your car.
XOM would probably recommend M1 0W-30 AFE for this application, and you could check the M1 site and find out.
M1 is quite the deal at Walmart at the moment.

Complain to SOPUS,they might send you some free oil.Although they could direct you to the nearest Jiffy Lube...

PP and QSUD 5w-30 says meet/exceed MS-6395, also checked 5 qt jugs at walmart just now and it says that on the back label.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Go for the PP 5w30 if PU isn't available. It has a higher VI anyways.

Heres the comparison chart if you need help choosing a synthetic.

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Nice info (thanks). Was just sitting here (watching Drag Racing)and pondering the idea of online trolling for some kind of VOA oil comparison chart, and ding!... all a sudden.
Because thinking of what oil for next OC

Originally Posted By: fiat500mn
Use API Certified SAE 5W-30 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade.

The normal Ultra meets that standard. The Euro L meets Fiat 9.55535-S1 & Chrysler MS-11106, but doesn't mention MS-6395.

Which is better than MS-6395 and they are all backward compatable . Chrysler MS-11106 is just a MBenz certified oil to MB 226.51 low ash content for exhaust systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back