Can I use STP S6607XL on my 2020 subaru Impreza?

I recently sold my Acura, which used the stp 6607xl, and I'm wondering if its compatible with my Impreza, on the box it said its interchangeable with the mobile 1 m108, but Im currently using a m108a and don't know if its the same.

You should be able to determine this on your own. Go to their web site or go to any auto parts web site, look up each car's filter and see if they are the same.

Fram says to use their 7317 and the 6607 is just the short version of that. So yes, you can use it but buy the proper filter once you deplete these.

And repeat after me... MOBIL, MOBIL, MOBIL. There is no "E" in motor oil.

Can you substitute one filter for another? Often, yes you can.
Should you substitute one filter for another? That's s topic covered ad nauseum for two decades here on BITOG.
What you can do, and what you should or should not do, are two entirely different things.

Be aware that not using the specified filter for any particular application may be cause for outright warranty denial, or at least a lengthy legal delay, if the product does fail.

Use the search function; there's (literally) hundreds of pages on this topic.

BTW ... Welcome to the site!

Last edited:
I recently sold my Acura, which used the stp 6607xl, and I'm wondering if its compatible with my Impreza, on the box it said its interchangeable with the mobile 1 m108, but Im currently using a m108a and don't know if its the same.
That is the universal Asian car filter (minus Toyota apps) typ 6607 and 7317 and variants. Subaru with turbo enjoy a higher bypass setting - this doesn't matter on the N.A. engine.
Filters have been shrinking in size and thus media area, so I would promote the use of the larger variant.

To answer the question, yes it will fit and function, but I would argue against its use if you are experiencing cold starts below 0 deg C. and/or you are running a grade of oil thicker than recommended. - Ken

Last edited:
That is the universal Asian car filter (minus Toyota apps) typ 6607 and 7317 and variants. Subaru with turbo enjoy a higher bypass setting - this doesn't matter on the N.A. engine.
Even with the smaller oil pumps of the NA engines (~12 GPM), some of the more restrictive filters out there will drop over 12 psi, so a filter with a higher bypass setting is a safer bet.

While in warranty, I'd also use a model recommended for the engine. The PurolatorOne PL14615 is a good choice. It's very similar to the Mobil 1 filter, but with the proper bypass setting.

Even with the smaller oil pumps of the NA engines (~12 GPM), some of the more restrictive filters out there will drop over 12 psi, so a filter with a higher bypass setting is a safer bet.

While in warranty, I'd also use a model recommended for the engine. The PurolatorOne PL14615 is a good choice. It's very similar to the Mobil 1 filter, but with the proper bypass setting.
I have read way in the past, subaru high bypass was spec'd top keep debris out of the screens in the turbo oil feed banjo fittings. Then, you have more high RPM throttle blipping for rev match in performance use which could crack the poppet open.

Last edited:
I have read way in the past, subaru high bypass was spec'd top keep debris out of the screens in the turbo oil feed banjo fittings. Then, you have more high RPM throttle blipping for rev match in performance use which could crack the poppet open.
The oil control solenoids for the VVT system and their screens are also prone to collecting debris, and problems with these solenoids are fairly common.

Do non turbo Subaru engines have high BPV spec ?

Lots of oil filters will fit a Subaru but have the lower psi Honda BPV spec….

Last edited:
Back