Can filtered water be used in a humidifier instead of distilled water?

An RO system is going to be ideal for removal of dissolved solids. especially downstream of a water softener. A meter that measures Total Dissolved Solids (TDS meter) is very inexpensive, as cheap as $9 on Amazon.

Remember, a water softener simply exchanges ions one for one. For example, a sodium ion replaces a calcium ion. Your softened water contains plenty of sodium (not sodium chloride) and still contains dissolved solids. The good news is that sodium deposits don't build up a scale like calcium does. So softened water does not destroy coffee makers, water heaters, home heating systems and so on.

But keep in mind that if you are using a humidifier with softened water that contains sodium, that sodium will be inside the machine and in your air.

Not unlike people who use softened water in their coffee. It leaves a distinct feel and taste that many people describe as "flat". The sodium does have an effect and it's better if you use water without it.

I'm hoping that between the water softener, and the filter, all, or at least most of the stuff that causes scale, powdery residue, whatever, will not be a problem...
Your water softener water will still leave deposits.

Most bottled drinking water is RO water. If it says it has minerals added it is a few milligrams per liter.

I use rain water and run it through a coffee filter then 10 drops of bleach per gallon......

Your water softener water will still leave deposits.

Most bottled drinking water is RO water. If it says it has minerals added it is a few milligrams per liter.

I use rain water and run it through a coffee filter then 10 drops of bleach per gallon......
Is this rain water out of the gutter or some kind of special setup? I'd be worried I'm drinking remains of bird dookie and bug guts even after filtering.

Is this rain water out of the gutter or some kind of special setup? I'd be worried I'm drinking remains of bird dookie and bug guts even after filtering.
I though it was for a humidifier? I use a screened funnel first, then a coffee filter and then 10 drops of bleach to the gallon.

You can make water purifiers easy with three 5 gallon buckets and gravel>sand>charcoal.

I've been using ZeroWater filtered water in my humidifier without any apparent issues, other than the cost of filters of course.

I just looked at the manual for this one, it says it's an ultrasonic...

most ultrasonic dont have "filters".. some have demineralization cartridges.

My RO filter costs about 2cents a gallon. and usually its around 15month and 2000 gallons before I change the filters. RO element supposedly lasts 2-5 years depending on water and changed by using TDS meter to see if its working.

The ultrasonic is what I use. Any mineral in the water will settle out from the mist and leave a powder around. I got though a gallon a day of the rain/snow water. If you add a few drops of bleach to the water it stays cleaner a lot longer.

The ultrasonic is what I use. Any mineral in the water will settle out from the mist and leave a powder around.
It will also clog up your HVAC filter very quickly. If this stuff is being caught by your home filter then it is also being caught by your lungs.

No shortage of DI water at my local grocery store. Still can't get Shout stain remover. LOL.
Both Walmart and Meijers have those machines in the back of the store. I fill up 5....1 gallon jugs every time I go. Some are for drinking and some are for the humidifier.

I have a couple Kenmore console humidifiers and use a bacteriostatic and water treatment that works. We have some of the hardest water I have ever been around and these consoles do not have any hard water buildup in the 25+ years I've had them. Just replace the filters every year.

6214040_Front.jpg

I've been putting filtered tap water in this unit for several days now, and I'm not noticing any powdery substances forming either inside the unit, or around it. This appears to be a good sign...

Back