Caliber Question

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by Astro14
Agree but the OP lives in NYC...

So, what can he actually buy/own?

That's the first thing you have to know. The Marlin .357 may be problematic there.

Why? Does it hold more than 10 rounds?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by Astro14
Agree but the OP lives in NYC...

So, what can he actually buy/own?

That's the first thing you have to know. The Marlin .357 may be problematic there.

Why? Does it hold more than 10 rounds?
Who knows what the NYC laws are. You should be able to buy one in NYC but you're going to jump through hoops to do it for sure. Do they have a "need" test?

Jeff Cooper called lever actions Brooklyn Assault Rifles.

From the NYC website:

There are laws for firearms which regulate:

Buying
Selling
Owning
Using
These laws also include the Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement (SAFE) Act

New York City has its own rules for purchasing and carrying firearms. To own a handgun, you need a valid City handgun license. To own a rifle or shotgun, you need a City-issued permit.

Details here:

https://licensing.nypdonline.org/new-app-instruction/

Last edited:
It looks like a rifle/shotgun permit is cheaper and less of a hassle. I recommend a pistol caliber carbine, because the ammo is cheap, the longer barrel and 3-point contact make aiming easier, and recoil is much, much less than a shotgun. Follow-up shots are quicker. I have one as my house gun, in 10mm. Another possibility is a Marlin 336 in 30-30. AmmoSeek shows 7 sellers of 30-30 ammo with a 125 grain bullet at $0.895/ round at case (200 rds). As some have observed, lighter bullets are easier to stop most likely because of less momentum. If the OP would want to look into a Lee Loader, one can load 125 grain HP reduced power by loading H4895 powder at 60% of max. load per Hodgdon for as little as $0.45/ round. The Lee loader is around $40.
For a totally off the wall suggestion, how about a "black powder" gun? One can buy those, even revolvers, over the counter as long as your're over 21. Of course, the smoke is just HUGE!

Back