Cabin Air Filters - how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
How often should one change CAFs?
My BMW has 42k now on the factory CAF.
(It's one of those charcoal activated ones that filter not only air but also detects odors/pollutants, etc and switches on recirc when the climate control is on auto mode).

(I noticed that inside windows have been fogging up quite often recently...and while reading about CAFs, I noticed one article where it said that it CAN be a sign of the CAF has run its useful course ... )

Is it time? The OEM CAF (made by Corteco Micronair) is on sale right now for $28 shipped...

Wonder if I should go ahead and do it? (5 min job, looks like)

If you change it yourself (or otherwise get to inspect the old filter), you will NEVER let it go anything remotely close to 42K miles again. I'm a bit surprised you neglected it that long.

I only change mine once a year....

FDr6yDW.jpg

That looks like ours the last time I replaced it. Only difference is ours had a mouse nest and droppings between the pleats . . .

I'm lazy with cabin air filters because they're kind of a pain to get to in my cars. My Accord's was changed at the 90K service so it is way overdue. The I35's filters are nearly $40 which sucks.

I changed mine a year and a half ago. Just checked it again, and it looks like it can go another 6 months. So it depends on the area you drive how often it needs to be replaced.

Originally Posted By: GatorJ

If you change it yourself (or otherwise get to inspect the old filter), you will NEVER let it go anything remotely close to 42K miles again. I'm a bit surprised you neglected it that long.

I am going to do it myself - I will post pics of the old filter when I do.
I had no idea that they needed to be changed that often and/or that it was THAT critical. But I will, from now on, for sure.

I think I did look at that site; I don't remember with 100% certainty, but either the OEM Coretco charcoal CAF for my car was not available there OR it was more expensive than at Turner Motor Sport, where I ordered mine from.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I only change mine once a year....

Nice rectangular filters like that can be easily cut out of Filtrete home heating filters.

Since they're so cheap to replace, I do it every second oil change, or about twice a year.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I think I did look at that site; I don't remember with 100% certainty, but either the OEM Coretco charcoal CAF for my car was not available there OR it was more expensive than at Turner Motor Sport, where I ordered mine from.

Discount Fleet Supply primarily carries Wix. If you don't care for Wix, you are better getting your filters elsewhere than Discount Fleet Supply.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I'm lazy with cabin air filters because they're kind of a pain to get to in my cars. My Accord's was changed at the 90K service so it is way overdue. The I35's filters are nearly $40 which sucks.

Doesn't that model require two filters, (e.g. Denso 4545052)?

It looks like a candidate for inexpensive replacement by cutting a Filtrete home heating filter if the filter material can be separated from its plastic housing.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
They're $15 on eBay

Man! I wish I checked there before I spent $30 at Napa!

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Doesn't that model require two filters, (e.g. Denso 4545052)?

It looks like a candidate for inexpensive replacement by cutting a Filtrete home heating filter if the filter material can be separated from its plastic housing.

That's an interesting idea. I just bit the bullet and sprung for the 2 piece set at Napa.

So I finally changed the CAF on the Bimmer with an OEM MicronAir Charcoal infused version...By the looks of it, the car still had the factory one, and it was not dirty, but IDK if it was very nasty, like I expected it to be.
Anyway, compared to the Elantra this was so easy to do, I was done in like 2 minutes.
Somehow I had the feeling the new one fit in mmore solidly and snug, compared to the factory one...

Some pics and comparisons:

Just changed my cabin filter at 30,000 miles for the first time, recommendation is every 15 K, and it did not appear very dirty. Because of location and difficulty of changing thinking of extending. For those that have an '13 Altima or later the glove box needn't be removed.

after reading this post, I think I'll inspect my original CAF
2005 Accord 199K. I knew it was there, just didn't think they need replacing that often

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
You only really need to change it if airflow is reduced or if you are getting funny smells.

I've been planning on doing mine for a little while. Though the A/C seems unaffected, I'm getting a musty or moldy smell when I get in the car. (And no, it's not me.) I guess this Saturday morning, if it's not raining, I'll do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back