Cabin air filter question

Will activated carbon cabin air filter restrict airflow versus filter that does not have activated carbon?

It's just that my Toyota Sienna hybrids cabin air filter (OEM Toyota) has developed an odor. I took it out and smelled it myself.

This filter does not have activated carbon. I installed / uninstalled and aftermarket wix (with activated carbon. Only way it comes) filter and it restricted air flow.

I was just wondering if it's the design of the filter or the activated carbon layer that restricts. I would venture to think it's the carbon, but I just want confirmation.

On the same note, does anyone know of a good aftermarket filter that filters as good as OEM but non-restrictive?

I didn’t notice any unusual restriction with this Fram.

A3C73915-FC7D-4B5B-9371-EF1100EEC705.jpeg

Didn't say anything about activated carbon. I might have missed and I'm kind of tired right now 😀

Just asking, how did it restrict air flow and how could you even tell, much less measure?
It's just that I've been driving with OEM filter for maybe 6,000 mi and then I put the other filter in and as soon as I turned on the AC and turned up the fan I could tell that The output wasn't as much as it was before. No way to measure.

I have an activated carbon cabin filter in a car that didn't come with a filter from the factory (it was an OEM dealer add-on). I experience no adverse effect on airflow.

The most noticeable reduction in airflow comes from HEPA cabin filters. Almost everybody that has one complains about the reduced airflow. Amazon reviews on HEPA cabin filters are loaded with complaints about it.

The Hengst charcoal cabin filter should be good. The Fram mentioned earlier should also be good.

i like to use the cheapest filters possible and change once a year. the activated charcoal ones IMO are too restrictive and how long i’d that charcoal actually working with how much air gets pushed through there.

The less restriction, the less carbon media in the filter, most likely…

I can’t say I noticed a difference, but I rarely run my fan high.

Will activated carbon cabin air filter restrict airflow versus filter that does not have activated carbon?

It's just that my Toyota Sienna hybrids cabin air filter (OEM Toyota) has developed an odor. I took it out and smelled it myself.

This filter does not have activated carbon. I installed / uninstalled and aftermarket wix (with activated carbon. Only way it comes) filter and it restricted air flow.

I was just wondering if it's the design of the filter or the activated carbon layer that restricts. I would venture to think it's the carbon, but I just want confirmation.

On the same note, does anyone know of a good aftermarket filter that filters as good as OEM but non-restrictive?
Its plausible but it's, imo, even more plausible that difference in filter media (carbon or no carbon) will have a small impact on the amount of air flowing through the system.

some charcoal cabin air filters I have seen have less pleats than the regular "white" colored filter medium...I've honestly never noticed any improvement with the charcoal CAF over the white filter media ones when used in a 2014 CTS Sport Wagon 3.0, a 2013 Malibu 2.0T or a 2006 Corolla 1.8...YMMV of course

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Back