C-130

Report me to rumor control for I'm the source of #1 airborne damage speculation... it just stuck me with 3 & 4 gone the lost of 1 means you may not have enough power to stay airborne... also see the fuel dump??? the left boom pod is missing... its possible during this midair what fouled the prop also collide with the boom pod...

c130vf35b3-jpg.30453

How long does it take for the fuel to drain from that wing?

Remember when the AC130’s chewed up so much that the “Elites” waved a white flag to a drone checking for left overs ?

Report me to rumor control for I'm the source of #1 airborne damage speculation... it just stuck me with 3 & 4 gone the lost of 1 means you may not have enough power to stay airborne... also see the fuel dump??? the left boom pod is missing... its possible during this midair what fouled the prop also collide with the boom pod...

c130vf35b3-jpg.30453
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing, would this count ?

Boom Pod sits right under a 1,340 gallon fuel tank...
View attachment 33043

Thanks. I was wondering if this boom pod had been taken off in the accident the fuel might have drained prior to the crash landing. So I’m still thinking the plane hit something on the ground which took off that pod and maybe the props. The fuel is draining quickly on the ground.

All speculative thoughts I admit.

Thanks. I was wondering if this boom pod had been taken off in the accident the fuel might have drained prior to the crash landing. So I’m still thinking the plane hit something on the ground which took off that pod and maybe the props. The fuel is draining quickly on the ground.

All speculative thoughts I admit.

You're welcome PimTac...

My learned USAF KC135 speculation says the sequence of events started
with an errant discharge of JP4 during the connection/disconnect
process when the check valve is momentarily open while not fully
attached to the receiving aircraft... The resulting fog of fuel enters
the receiving aircraft’s engine intake and the F35 surges rapidly
forward colliding with props 3 of 4 then wings over striking prop #1
and the left Boom Pod... The once beautifully balanced 6 blade Dowty
becomes a vibrating nightmare at 5 blades... Fearing the worst the
KC130 pilots prudently pulled power... Now down to just 25% available
thrust they did not have enough power to stay airborne and ditched short
of Cochran Field Thermal Ca...

I believe the crash investigators will discover all the missing parts
namely the remains of the blades... missing cowlings and Boom Pod
near the MOA midair site and none at the ditched site...

MidAir to Ditch...
C130vF35B6.JPG

Last edited:
IF the crew had turned south, instead of trying to go north, they would have been able to make it to NAF El Centro, which was quite close to the depicted midair location...

IF the crew had turned south, instead of trying to go north, they would have been able to make it to NAF El Centro, which was quite close to the depicted midair location...

In fairness to the KC130 crew my MidAir depicted on the MOA map may not be accurate... I just copied blancolirio estimation...

Try again.
I've spent quite a bit of time flying out there. Know it quite well.

Try what again? The depicted mid-air location put them quite close to NAF El Centro.

Was the mid-air location different than depicted?

Or are you arguing that NAF El Centro isn't just a bit off the chart to the south? Just West of the Imperial Airport, and just South of the Salton Sea?

I've spent quite a bit of time flying out there. Know it quite well.

Try what again? The depicted mid-air location put them quite close to NAF El Centro.

Was the mid-air location different than depicted?

Or are you arguing that NAF El Centro isn't just a bit off the chart to the south? Just West of the Imperial Airport, and just South of the Salton Sea?
Well, for starters, you don't know where they were exactly. You're already using third or fourth hand info on position, at best. You're familiar with the area. Cool. I have over a thousand hours in C-130s. Maybe they had a competent crew and saved everyone onboard by doing exactly as they did... staff member. Please tell me what their heading was and I'd like to see glide distance, two engine out to El Centro at their weight.

This is not about some "A" model or what ever, the planes are flat a bad design, for flying with alot of weight the wings should not be over slung. And if your going to use a high wing design then build them like a cessna with wing struts.
https://www.businessinsider.com/air-force-removes-c-130s-from-service-after-finding-cracks-2019-8
The wings look like they are very low surface area, and thus very highly loaded.
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Well, for starters, you don't know where they were exactly. You're already using third or fourth hand info on position, at best. You're familiar with the area. Cool. I have over a thousand hours in C-130s. Maybe they had a competent crew and saved everyone onboard by doing exactly as they did... staff member. Please tell me what their heading was and I'd like to see glide distance, two engine out to El Centro at their weight.
I clearly predicated my comment on the depicted mid-air location. Perhaps you missed that.

If you have more updated information, then, by all means, post it instead of meaningless critical posts.

Please give me their heading, altitude, airspeed, and precise location and then, perhaps, I can give you a reasonable guess on what their options were...

You have a thousand hours? Cool. Ever fly anything else?

I clearly predicated my comment on the depicted mid-air location. Perhaps you missed that.

If you have more updated information, then, by all means, post it instead of meaningless critical posts.

Please give me their heading, altitude, airspeed, and precise location and then, perhaps, I can give you a reasonable guess on what their options were...

You have a thousand hours? Cool. Ever fly anything else?
Yes, I've flown many different aircraft, but now you want all the details... Your comment was in bad taste and ill informed. I expect more out of a staff member...

On that point, we are in complete agreement.
So you agree that exhaustgases's was way out of line?
Exhaustgases said:
This is not about some "A" model or what ever, the planes are flat a bad design, for flying with alot of weight the wings should not be over slung. And if your going to use a high wing design then build them like a cessna with wing struts. https://www.businessinsider.com/air-force-removes-c-130s-from-service-after-finding-cracks-2019-8 The wings look like they are very low surface area, and thus very highly loaded.

Back