Bypass filters,,,,,my take

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't run a bypass on my truck right now but I am only posting this for the **** of it and just sharing my opinions, observations etc...

I do like bypass filters for numerous reasons. If your a hardcore perfectionist about a clean reliable engine regardless of cost, then it seems to me that a bypass is the way to go. Whether it be a Dodge Omni or a Ford Powerstroke. That said, bypass filters seem most effective on industrial engines such as OTR truckers, compressors, construction equipment and factory/warehouse equipment. I'll admit, I am one of those people who want a squeaky clean engine with superior lubrication. Course, I probably speak for most of us if not all of us members when I say that.

If you really love your vehicle or equipment and want the absolute best for it, then bypass seems the way to go.

Some things I dislike about bypass systems is plumbing. I always fear that after installation or down the road, something will come loose causing a leak. Engines that leak oil regardless where it's coming from grind my gears alot. In a joking manner, I can't imagine going to the store and fill up your shopping cart with Scott 1000 TP
lol.gif
You may get some strange looks but hey, it's for the vehicle. For me, spending the necessary money w/o getting jipped of course is not an issue. I believe if you want the best for anything, you will have to pay a premium and I accept that fact.

For a long time I've debated and still am about whether or not to install a bypass on my truck. I want to do it but I have thought alot about getting a new truck in a few years, therefore, a bypass would be a waste for me. However, I do like the fact that bypass systems can be swapped right over to your next vehicle. What I worry about is fixing anything on the vehicle you want to trade or sell so there was little or no evidence of a bypass filter. The other thing I dislike is if you have to get more hose or different couplings, that can be confusing for me and it is usually the little things I do not want to worry about going around town seeing what I can find. For example, If I find this, then I need order that because Ace Hardware didn't have it, yada yada yada....
mad.gif

That's pretty much my take on Bypass Filters or Luberefiners as my Dad likes to call them,,,,,AR

As much as I would like to install a bypass filtration unit, I'll probably never get around to it. Though it took some time, I was able to install a pressure guage after having to make an adapter from metric to IPT - oil under pressure will find the tiniest of holes in your weld (I'm no expert). Just the thought of having to tap into that and relocate the senders via tees and then the flex lines...the idea of "if it isn't broke don't fix it" hits home!

With the mileage that I put on the car in a year, the body will probably give out long before the engine does with simple PM practices...assuming no accidents of course. Piece of mind and the technical neatness, well it's all in conflict leaving me back where I started - without a bypass installed.
frown.gif

Don't be afraid - take the plunge!

I knew nothing about bypass lube oil filtration 3 months ago. However, I do consider myself an amateur mechanic (strictly from the hobbyist standpoint) and accomplish most of the maintenance on our vehicles myself. I started a project last year to upgrade everything I could on them in hopes of making them last as long as possible. The research associated with that led me to this board. I now have four Motorguards installed on two pickups and two cars, and never looked back.

Your concerns are valid. For example, I almost blew up the Sebring when an improperly routed line got chewed through by the accessory belt after a couple weeks. Fortunately the wife is smart enough to stop when she smells something and sees smoke! No harm done (lucky!), live and learn.

But I know it was time and money well spent. It's all what you want and what you are willing to go through to get it!

v/r

Paul

banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif

Airborne Ranger, I used magnets to hold the bypass filter in my Toyota Tacoma 4 banger. My Frantz metal cannister with the TP in it allows magnetic attachment to a corner of the engine compartment very easily and functionally. You can use the ceramic magnets you get from most any store, like the Sears hardware stores. They come in various sizes.Nothing fancy, they do the job.

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by Airborne Ranger:
I don't run a bypass on my truck right now but I am only posting this for the **** of it and just sharing my opinions, observations etc...

I do like bypass filters for numerous reasons. If your a hardcore perfectionist about a clean reliable engine regardless of cost, then it seems to me that a bypass is the way to go. Whether it be a Dodge Omni or a Ford Powerstroke. That said, bypass filters seem most effective on industrial engines such as OTR truckers, compressors, construction equipment and factory/warehouse equipment. I'll admit, I am one of those people who want a squeaky clean engine with superior lubrication. Course, I probably speak for most of us if not all of us members when I say that.

If you really love your vehicle or equipment and want the absolute best for it, then bypass seems the way to go.

Some things I dislike about bypass systems is plumbing. I always fear that after installation or down the road, something will come loose causing a leak. Engines that leak oil regardless where it's coming from grind my gears alot. In a joking manner, I can't imagine going to the store and fill up your shopping cart with Scott 1000 TP
lol.gif
You may get some strange looks but hey, it's for the vehicle. For me, spending the necessary money w/o getting jipped of course is not an issue. I believe if you want the best for anything, you will have to pay a premium and I accept that fact.

For a long time I've debated and still am about whether or not to install a bypass on my truck. I want to do it but I have thought alot about getting a new truck in a few years, therefore, a bypass would be a waste for me. However, I do like the fact that bypass systems can be swapped right over to your next vehicle. What I worry about is fixing anything on the vehicle you want to trade or sell so there was little or no evidence of a bypass filter. The other thing I dislike is if you have to get more hose or different couplings, that can be confusing for me and it is usually the little things I do not want to worry about going around town seeing what I can find. For example, If I find this, then I need order that because Ace Hardware didn't have it, yada yada yada....
mad.gif

That's pretty much my take on Bypass Filters or Luberefiners as my Dad likes to call them,,,,,AR

I know how you feel.. When I bought my PSD I knew "nothing" about diesels and even less about bypass filters.. 3 months after buying my truck I had 3 Frantz's installed. In a years time I had a 4th Frantz installed.. I use to worry about if and when the hoses would ever start to leak.. I have no more worrys regarding the hoses ever leaking.. I did such an over kill job on securing and keeping the hoses protected its not even an issue anymore.. I figure when I do go to sell my truck it will only be to a bypass enthusiast !!
I'll only sell my truck to someone who won't take them off..!! So far I've had 3 wanna-be buyers simply because I had bypass filters installed.. But selling my truck is the farthest thing from my mind. I figure it like this.. The longer I keep and drive my truck with the Frantz's installed the more curious I get to see just how long the the truck will last.. Especially the Transmission.. The miles don't really mean diddley squat when bypass filters are keeping everything clean.. You just want to take the Kelley blue book and shove it where the sun don't shine..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back