Bypass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone install a bypass filter setup? I was thinking of putting one on my '94 BMW 540i. It currently has the oem cartridge style filter and I run Amsiol 10w40 in it. Just wonder how big a project it really is since few people I know do it.

I dont think a bypass is worth the expense . Amsoil did a test on taxi cabs and the results did not seem worth it. I tried a bypass filter on a 1988 camry ,
dunno.gif
it seemed to keep the oil cleaner .Amsoil did some taxi tests and the results made me remove the bypass filter at the filter change . On a small capacity oil sump it probably isn't worth it imo. Save the cash for oil changes.
dunno.gif

How many more miles do you plan on keeping your car? The bypass filter does work, but only pays off if you keep the car for many hundreds of thousands of miles...plus, you can move the filter assembly to the next car you buy.

Ken

I was thinking along the same lines. It has 60k miles on it now and I plan on keeping it for a couple years. Changing the filter and oil analysis now seems liek better idea.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Amsoil did a test on taxi cabs and the results did not seem worth it.

Reminds me of the Consumer Reports test on synthetics in taxicabs. In both cases, same weakness: taxis run all day. They start and stop the engine much less frequently than other cars and thus incur less wear, so it's difficult to draw conclusions on wear protection from taxis.

I just put one on my '90 325is. It's higher mileage, but I don't plan on selling it, I like the extra oil capacity and I can always transfer it to another car.

-

Don't lump all bypass filters together. Some don't clean oil very well and use elements that cost more than an oil change. I have a Motor Guard bypass filter that cost me less than 30.00 in 1971. It paid for itself in the first year. It has saved me many thousands of dollars in 30 years of use.
The Motor Guard is the only one that does everything I want it to do. The best three bypass filters I know of are the Frantz, Motor Guard, and Gulf Coast. Most of the Gulf Coast filters go to the Department of Defense. Motor Guard is best known as a 0.01 micron average compressed air filter. The name Motor Guard didn't come from air filters. There is nothing more important than clean motor oil, ATF and fuel.
No telling how many times I've heard the remark "I can buy a lot of oil for what a bypass filter cost".
These companies have all gone to special elements they sell. After 40 years of using toilet paper I will stick with good old Scott Kimberly Clark. One filter company claims to use cellulose in their filters. Toilet paper is 100% cellulose. The trick to keeping oil clean is more cellulose in a housing and less air.
I saw a dual remote setup in a Napa store the other day. That company made a good filter at one time. The elements were too expensive. They shouldn't have cut it open so I could see it. It was like a cheap hamburger("where's the beef")
dunno.gif
. Nothing much inside. I expected to see it packed with filter media. They said you could go farther between filter changes I said yes and get a higher wear rate.

Ralph
burnout.gif

[ February 22, 2003, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: RalphPWood ]

quote:

Originally posted by 1maniac:
Anyone install a bypass filter setup? I was thinking of putting one on my '94 BMW 540i. It currently has the oem cartridge style filter and I run Amsiol 10w40 in it. Just wonder how big a project it really is since few people I know do it.

You can put a single remote bypass system if your FF filter is special. You just have to find the oil sender unit and branch off of it with a T fitting to the bypass and back to a non-pressure source like Oil Pan, Oil fill, or valve cover. I recommend Oil pan in a location higher than the plug. Some cars don't like to have oil put down the oil fill or in the valve cover especially at high rpms, so i dont recommend it.

On the other hand it will be much easier if you figure out a way to mount a regular FF filter and use the a set-up where you have an adapter that goes where your old filter was and makes 2 filters (FF and bypass), although requires more room it is much easier to install and remove. My recommendation is go with a Motor Guard filter they offer the best filtration
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Therion:
My recommendation is go with a Motor Guard filter they offer the best filtration

You're recommending bypass filters?
confused.gif
A week ago, you were first asking about them. You don't even use one.

quote:

Originally posted by therion:

On the other hand it will be much easier if you figure out a way to mount a regular FF filter and use the a set-up where you have an adapter that goes where your old filter was and makes 2 filters (FF and bypass), although requires more room it is much easier to install and remove. My recommendation is go with a Motor Guard filter they offer the best filtration
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

Have you seen a car with a cartridge filter setup?? It's engineered to the car, usually up on top of the engine. It would be near impossible to put a FF filter on this.

BTW your recommendation of the Motor Guard, what experience do you have with this to make the recommendation??? Just wondering becuase it seems that you have just started looking for the filter and have been waffling between several models. I can understand Ralf making the recommendation as he uses them and has a lot of experience with by-pass filteration. I might not agree with everything that he says but I do think we are in the same boat, I'm just at the Bow and he is at the stern LOL

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

Originally posted by therion:

cheers.gif
cheers.gif

Have you seen a car with a cartridge filter setup?? It's engineered to the car, usually up on top of the engine. It would be near impossible to put a FF filter on this.

BTW your recommendation of the Motor Guard, what experience do you have with this to make the recommendation??? Just wondering becuase it seems that you have just started looking for the filter and have been waffling between several models. I can understand Ralf making the recommendation as he uses them and has a lot of experience with by-pass filteration. I might not agree with everything that he says but I do think we are in the same boat, I'm just at the Bow and he is at the stern LOL

We are all here for the same reason to gain knowledge
tongue.gif
Yes i have seen them on lots some german cars. And If you go back and actually READ my post i mention that IF ITS POSSIBLE to adopt then use the dual remote, otherwise branch off the sender unit.

About Bypass systems. The more layers/finer tighter the filter media the more effective it will be at trapping dirt. Cellulose is the best lube filter known to man, and tp is cellulose. Bottom line is the more effective the filter is the more often it will have to be changed. Tp from my RESEARCH seems to offer the best filtration. No i have not used them yet but i will share my experiences when i do. Now if you dont feel like dealing with a messy filter and paying for a quart of oil every change, then the Amsoil is the better option and requires less work to change the filters and is slightly smaller.
cheers.gif

[ January 30, 2004, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: therion ]

Maybe it would be a good idea for you to gain some experience and learn from the experiences of others before you offer advice based on the opinions of others, Therion.

Ralph can say there is no better filter media than cellulose, and his experience and knowledge on the subject makes him a credible source. When you say cellulose "is the best lube filter known to man", I just cringe. Here are some of your comments in the past week:
quote:

On 1/25 Therion wrote:
I agree the TP idea is good. But what i dont understand is how does the TP not fall apart and get peices of paper in your oil??

quote:

On 1/26, Therion wrote:
And then theres the concept that the TP traps dirt better than the wooden element in amsoil...

quote:

On 1/27, Therion wrote:
The single mount bypass is complicated, and very dangerous....

A week ago, you didn't even know what a sandwich adapter was. I really appreciate the opinions of knowledgeable people on this site, and there are some people out there that like to criticize us for some outlandish opinions. Your "research" appears to be based primarily on the opinions of others.

You seem like a smart guy, and you seem eager to learn. You may want to use a little discretion on your posts so that others view your comments as contributions, rather than garbage.

quote:

Originally posted by slalom44:
Maybe it would be a good idea for you to gain some experience and learn from the experiences of others before you offer advice based on the opinions of others, Therion.

Ralph can say there is no better filter media than cellulose, and his experience and knowledge on the subject makes him a credible source. When you say cellulose "is the best lube filter known to man", I just cringe. Here are some of your comments in the past week:
quote:

On 1/25 Therion wrote:
I agree the TP idea is good. But what i dont understand is how does the TP not fall apart and get peices of paper in your oil??

quote:

On 1/26, Therion wrote:
And then theres the concept that the TP traps dirt better than the wooden element in amsoil...

quote:

On 1/27, Therion wrote:
The single mount bypass is complicated, and very dangerous....

A week ago, you didn't even know what a sandwich adapter was. I really appreciate the opinions of knowledgeable people on this site, and there are some people out there that like to criticize us for some outlandish opinions. Your "research" appears to be based primarily on the opinions of others.

You seem like a smart guy, and you seem eager to learn. You may want to use a little discretion on your posts so that others view your comments as contributions, rather than garbage.

Ok sorry for posting garbage. You are right, i should intall my Motor Guard before i say it is good or talk smack- which will be next week
smile.gif

[ January 30, 2004, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: therion ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back