Buying some new combination wrenches soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed a lot of stuff on amazon is noted as China for COO, even for things that are known to be made elsewhere. Maybe Amazon just assumes everything is
grin.gif

Be careful of buying ANYTHING now at Sears. Craftsman hand tools ain't what they used to be, with far too many of them made in China. Too many tools these days are made in China . . .
mad.gif

Ok, all I got was tools, compressor, mower blades, washer, dryer, through wall AC, and a stainless side by side fridge in the last couple months ... All but the compressor were all made in USA and American companies - I'd put that average against whatever.
Geez, things are bad enough for the good people at these stores to have a bad CEO they did not pick - but the 3 little stores I use are all are unchanged ...

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Then I bet a Pittsburgh wrench from Hazard Fraught can be had for a song in Guangzhou.

I hear they throw them after you on your way out of the store. JK They are not very good though, the broaching is very poor on some probably from trying to get every last wrench they can out of the tooling.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Trav's Proto set can be bought at Zoro for $161 delivered if you can use their first time purchase 15% discount.

I am attracted to Wright Tools simply because they seem like such an American company to the core. The price is good at about $148, but their set skips size 20mm. The "China made" is incorrect at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Wright-Tool-752-Metric-Combination/dp/B004RILQP4

Nice to know that others like satin finishes also.

Nothing wrong with Wright, I cant say much about them as the last one I used was many years ago. The Proto is IMO probably the better tool and the price is good.
I never much cared for chrome wrenches even Snap-On they tend to be slippy and I don't like the look, they say they are easier to clean but my tools don't get cleaned just a wipe down. I always try to get satin.

I have the sk 8-19 mm and they are pretty nice. Be aware, the sks are a little shorter than other brand's standard pattern. I got mine cheap on ebay, but if I had my druthers I would get the wrights, especially the new wrightgrip 2.0s, people rave about them on the garage journal and they come in sweet fabric wrench roll.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Then I bet a Pittsburgh wrench from Hazard Fraught can be had for a song in Guangzhou.

I hear they throw them after you on your way out of the store. JK They are not very good though, the broaching is very poor on some probably from trying to get every last wrench they can out of the tooling.

Had an old 1/2 standard wrench Craftsman made in USA that I carried in the Harbor Freight store to compare with their Pittsburg made in India wrench. The Harbor Freight was a good bit shorter than the Craftsman. It was in between a stubby and a regular sized wrench. Not long handle wrench. Saving money on material. Definitely get what you pay for when it comes to good wrenches.

Wright tool is about 1.5miles from my house. They have a pretty big operation.(at least by my standards)

Originally Posted By: Linctex
SK are expensive, but I have NEVER broken an SK anything.

Can't say the same for Snap-On.

If you want to change that just buy some SK impact swivel sockets. The ones I've had have been complete garbage. In general I've had very good luck with SK. That just happens to be one product they didn't know how to make.

Out of the options you gave I'd probably buy the SK wrenches. I like their chrome finish because it's easy to clean grease off of. Their newer wrenches have the SureGrip which is suppose to be a similar feature to Snap Ons flank drive.

For me personally I'd buy the used Snap On. As far as combination wrenches I haven't used one that is any better. Their flank drive plus has amazing grip and they're not built overly thick.

Amazon Germany will ship them to the USA.

Do tell! Is this anything amazon prime on the amazon de site? Does something I put in a cart at amazon de transfer over to my US cart? Do I need a separate account with Amazon.de?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
SK are expensive, but I have NEVER broken an SK anything.

Can't say the same for Snap-On.

SK is pretty cheap used on ebay. The 3/8 drive sets in particular are an excellent value if bought on ebay. I got my new 8-19mm wrench set 2 years ago for $120 cdn shipped.

Amazon USA Prime does not work. Your login works though, and your addresses and payment info are linked.

Shipping is usually reasonable though. I've bought several Hazet and Knipex items through Amazon.de.

When you see the Amazon.de price, the VAT is included. So the price someone in the USA pays is cheaper.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Do tell! Is this anything amazon prime on the amazon de site? Does something I put in a cart at amazon de transfer over to my US cart? Do I need a separate account with Amazon.de?

Originally Posted By: drtyler
The Armstrong brand has been discontinued.

Any of the brands you mentioned, Armstrong included, are quality tools.

Another set to keep in mind is the Hazet 600N series. I have seen the 600SPC/16 set available for under $200 shipped. They are high quality as well.

Bummer. I was leaning toward Armstrong too. May make warranty an issue?
I'll have a look a Hazet today.

I've never broken or damaged a combination wrench and that includes using them for pry bars and using cheaters on them. If you can get an Armstrong set at a good price, I wouldn't be concerned anout ever needing a warranty replacement.

I know you wanted new tools, but old ones are as good or better than new. Retired mechanics sometimes post their surplus high quality tools on Craigslist. They usually have engraved their initials on them, but that doesn't bother me at all. Scanning through the daily new tool listings on CL is at least as productive and entertaining as scanning through the daily list of new BITOG threads.

Always been partial to Snap-on wrenches/sockets/ratchets. That being said, Williams is about as close as you can get to Snap-on for the budget you have.

I have had my current sets of Snap-on combo wrenches for 31 years, and no problems.

Ive used Snap On, Wright, SK, Craftsman and others, but my go to wrenches that I grab now are these Carlyle wrenches by NAPA. Flank drive so they dont slip. Excellent tools. Made in the same factory as Gear Wrench.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Piece-Metric-Carlyle-NAPA-Combination-Wrench-Set-CWLNS-Flank-Drive-D19-/401377398134?hash=item5d73f50d76:g:StgAAOSwq~tZXnNC

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Amazon USA Prime does not work. Your login works though, and your addresses and payment info are linked.

Shipping is usually reasonable though. I've bought several Hazet and Knipex items through Amazon.de.

When you see the Amazon.de price, the VAT is included. So the price someone in the USA pays is cheaper.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Correct the price you see will be minus 19% plus shipping. Amazon prime doesn't work but you don't need a separate account.
Not everything ships to the USA eg the small Hazet impact I bought last year does not so I brought it back with me but the larger 1/2" impact does. The wrenches I linked to will.

Midrange priced set of Craftsman will still do you fine and getting them on sale or even thru ebay saves a lot of money. Sure they may not be as good as years gone by, but they still work fine and are still warrantied for life. I use them just as much as my Snap-Ons and never an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back