2013 Venza going through oil

Happy New year

I have a 2013 Toyota Venza v-6 SE. At around 160,000 I was burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I had the PCV replaced and now at a 169000 I burn a quart of oil every 500 miles.

I have never had oil in my garage floor, I don't smell the burnt oil, is dont see why smoke from my exhaust.

I'm thinking maybe piston rings? Or valve seals? If I get the piston rings replaced, should I have the valve seals replaced too??

I don't want to pay the expense of either the rings or seals if it can be something else??

Appreciate your help with this

2gr burning oil? thats interesting, any vehicle history with long ocis or has the vin been effected by the cooler line recall?

Try a 30 wt oil and I wouldn't recommend replacing an engine on a ten year old run of the mill car.

2gr burning oil? thats interesting, any vehicle history with long ocis or has the vin been effected by the cooler line recall?
2013 should not have the rubber oil cooler anymore.
That is more like before 2010.

I am not sure what is wrong, you may want to have a mechanic check it out.
There is timing chain cover potential leakage issue in all 2GR engines.

This car have 6.5 Qts oil capacity so make sure you put that amount at oil change.

1 quart/500 miles is a LOT-if it was leakage you would see it. Is there a blue cloud after sitting overnight (valve guides/seals)? Or have someone follow you down a long hill & see if there is blue smoke during long deceleration (rings)? Either way, the catalytic converter(s) is/are not going to last long-an engine or rebuild is likely in your future, although piston soaks have helped on Toyota engines before.

Was it sudden and sharp? engines rarely every go from burning little to nothing then suddenly a quart every thousand.

Have you checked for blowby?
Remove the oil filler cap with the engine running.
Take note of any puffs coming out.
Could also do a compression check. Doubt it’s a valve seal, that is a lot of oils consumption for those. Would suspect a sticking or broken ring

New member... First post showing some knowledge above a true forum newbie... A single post about an issue, then disappear... No reply to any comments... Similar "signature", grammar, and mistakes as many other "new members" showing up pretty often here. If it quacks like a duck...
image.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully, the pcv valve is an oem one purchased from the dealership or a reputable place. The OP reads like the increase in oil consumption happened after the pcv valve was replaced.

Happy New year

I have a 2013 Toyota Venza v-6 SE. At around 160,000 I was burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I had the PCV replaced and now at a 169000 I burn a quart of oil every 500 miles.
... ... ... .

Appreciate your help with this
Don't jump the Gun.

Bring it to a GOOD mechanic/garage and have a leak down test performed. Grannie driving then infrequent hard driving = coked/stuck rings.
Toyotas can be leakers, my cousin was going through oil on her 2010 Camry, then, at my urging, brought it to a pro garage and they found a massive vc leak. Re-gasketed for a reasonable cost.

What is the maintenance history?

Don't jump the Gun.

Bring it to a GOOD mechanic/garage and have a leak down test performed. Grannie driving then infrequent hard driving = coked/stuck rings.
Toyotas can be leakers, my cousin was going through oil on her 2010 Camry, then, at my urging, brought it to a pro garage and they found a massive vc leak. Re-gasketed for a reasonable cost.

What is the maintenance history?
I do oil changes every 5K due to mostly highway driving. Other than PCV repair, I have had basic tune-up and transmission change. It's a solid car except for going through oil so fast.

Dont mind paying for a repair (better than a car loan) but want to make sure i tell/ask mechanic correct details

Toyota seems to struggle with stuck piston rings and oil usage after about 150,000 mile mark. This even happens with good maintenance in certain years. But by then, the warranty is over and it’s now the owners problem. Also, if the particular engine has an IAC Valve, you can check/test it as well however IDK the procedure for this. But it may help.

Did the oil consumption begin AFTER the PCV valve was changed?
From OP's 1st post:

"At around 160,000 I was burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I had the PCV replaced and now at a 169000 I burn a quart of oil every 500 miles."

New PCV could have an incorrect orifice size, but it was losing oil before that.

OP: Who changed the PCV

Back