Buick LeSabre 315 K best oil/filter? A recent acquisition

I just bought a 2000 Buick LeSabre and found out it has 315,000 mi on it it is in pretty nice shape and runs good after a long run the idle oil pressure seems to be about 20 lb any thoughts on how to increase this it had its first oil change when I got it on the road a thousand miles ago there are no maintenance records

Any oil of a thicker grade than what you're using will increase oil pressure. What's the spec for minimum oil pressure at warm idle for this engine?

My son inherited his grandmothers 2003 Lesabre and it currently has over 150k miles and we use 5w-30 in it. I've never seen the oil pressure read less than 40psi at idle, even after a long trip. I'd give a 40 weight oil a try and see if it goes up.

10W-30 is what is spec'd for that engine. You're fine. Change the oil and look out for the real problem areas - Coolant elbows (plastic), Intake gaskets and DexCool issues. If the car has made it that far, it's gonna fail in some other area other than the oil pressure. One of GM's best engines.

10W-30 is what is spec'd for that engine. You're fine. Change the oil and look out for the real problem areas - Coolant elbows (plastic), Intake gaskets and DexCool issues. If the car has made it that far, it's gonna fail in some other area other than the oil pressure. One of GM's best engines.
Good call on the plastic elbows and intake manifold gaskets. Hopefully if it has that many miles they've already been done.

Good call on the plastic elbows and intake manifold gaskets. Hopefully if it has that many miles they've already been done.

Thanks! I've got a 2001 with low miles (67k) and they went out about 10k ago. If anything, the engine is bulletproof. It's the smaller issues that cause problems.
A LeSabre with 315k on the odometer should tell you something about the engine. If it were mine, I'd be looking at the entire car and seeing what needs to be addressed. (OP - Check-out the Buick Forums as they are really helpful.) Just keep the oil changed (10w-30) and it will go to 400k easy.

20 psi @ idle and 40 psi @ 2000 rpm would be just fine (assuming the gauge numbers are accurate). No need to waste energy pumping thicker oil. I really doubt engine probs are gonna be the death of this beast. Might consider a lube change to the trans though.

If you wish, put a 40-grade in there and see what happens. Or a 50-grade for that matter. It isn't going to harm the engine nor cause problems.

Grades listed in the owner's manual are recommendations not specifications.

I have the 1998 LeSabre. Get ready replace upper intake manifold gaskets,and plenum maybe,and it's gasket. Old ones were plastic.new ones metal. It's not difficult do yourself if mechanically inclined and good torque wrench. Otherwise $1,200 job. Attempted mine, worked ok for 5 years, had cooling system flushed and it started leaking. My torque wrench not as good as a shops
The car is indeed speed for 10w30.use that in hot summers. Car book shoes covers cold temperatures and can be used save money and mileage.
Replace the dreaded plastic elbow left side just under ignition coil thingy. Mine broke soon as I bought it 2017. Had 94,000 miles now at 166,000. Best oil I found is Mobil extended performance..it advertises cleans sludge. That means attempts clean rings too and much better pour n flash point. Ran fram synthetic last year,engine loved it alot

Back