Buick dealers giving up franchises

Keep in mind that right now the Nations auto inventory is at an avg of 71 days.
Buick has a 106 day supply of vehicles.

This is a fresh reminder that if you're not ready to evolve you die. These dealers have threw in the towel on the next phase of auto selling. GM obviously see's the value in the long haul to buy up the retail spots since that will be part of the new ev trend to buy straight from the auto maker itself. GM didn't just offer it's money for no good reason or just because these dealers wanted out.

This already happened last year with Cadillac .....and my local small town rural Chevrolet/GMC/Cadillac/Buick dealer refused to invest so they gave up their Cadillac franchise last year. I am pretty sure they are going to drop Buick as well. The folks I know there figure it's just a matter of time before Chevrolet does the same.

I worked in A GM dealer as the Gopher / shop rat / whatever when I was young. We had Chevrolet, Olds and Buick. Of 50 cars on the lot at any one time (small town dealer) maybe 3 were Buicks.

The competition had GM truck, Pontiac, Caddy I think. Same sort of game plan for them. A couple caddies. Maybe sell a couple dozen a year.

The Buick name may or may not sell EV's - but I think in a lot of cases it likely doesn't match the business model of a lot of these dealers, many of which are likely still in small towns. Selling out the Buick brand is likely smart on their part.

I have a 2021 enclave premium leased it cheap for what it is. Drives like a old Buick big comfy and quiet

Buick still does an excellent job with comfort, recently rented Encore GX and Envision and found them to be very quiet inside with great ride quality and comfortable seating.

A sales guy I know at the local GMC/Buick dealer told me not long ago they sell every one of the smaller ones as soon as they get them if not in transit. They wish they could get more.
I get that they're finally at a point of undercutting the competition. Buick has fallen far, but it's the only hope of selling them at this point. I guess it shows how detached the average person is on such an expensive purchase.

Buick only exists in US because a great selling China brand for GM.

The dealers should take the gift. Until GM buys or creates a seperate EV startup it will languish…
It has been a good seller in the US market too otherwise they would've dumped it, like they did the other brands, in the bankruptcy.

We own a Buick, and when we got it, it had a 4/50 warranty like other premium makes. And being a GM, we actually had repairs down to the very last day of the 48 months. One was actually 2 days after.

Why I'm a GM fanboy I can only say it has to be from my dad. Our next car will likely be a Chevy and a very expensive one at that.

jmoymmv Buick has better styling than GMC and Chevy. On ours it has the rear fixed glass over the passengers like my dad's wagon did. With that being said, our shade is 99.999% closed :ROFLMAO:

It has been a good seller in the US market too otherwise they would've dumped it, like they did the other brands, in the bankruptcy.
Depends on the trajectory.

Right now they command less then 1% of marketshare.
Yoy they were down -40%, but now have some new cheaper metal to move(overall atp were down), hence their +60% last eoq sales bump. As i mentioned before their inventory is above the nationwide average.
Finally with a smaller dealer network, less eyes on their product, unless of course the dealers that bowed out, were amongst the slow sellers of buick.

It's so funny that a nation which boasts efficiency and "delivering the goods" can't lay out a map for a additional technology.
Many a citizen says, "I can fill up a tank in 4 minutes. Who needs an EV? Case closed."

Huge business revamp posturing is reported as squabbling between GM and unwilling dealers eschewing EV tech; sad.
Perhaps GM will finance the $300K to $400K needed for EV upgrades IN THE LOCATIONS THEY KEEP?

How many Buick dealerships are stand alone? I wonder if a high percentage of those are taking the buyout.

Some good news about car dealerships is that they're simple boxes and can be cleared for land reuse.

Last edited:
It's so funny that a nation which boasts efficiency and "delivering the goods" can't lay out a map for a additional technology.
Many a citizen says, "I can fill up a tank in 4 minutes. Who needs an EV? Case closed."

Huge business revamp posturing is reported as squabbling between GM and unwilling dealers eschewing EV tech; sad.
Perhaps GM will finance the $300K to $400K needed for EV upgrades IN THE LOCATIONS THEY KEEP?

How many Buick dealerships are stand alone? I wonder if a high percentage of those are taking the buyout.

Some good news about car dealerships is that they're simple boxes and can be cleared for land reuse.
The dealership distribution model is approaching end-of-life. All cost and little (or no) value added. The Internet continues to accelerate change. Couple that with the dealership's well earned reputation... They dug their grave and tech is pushing them in.

Everything changes. As the current generation passes the torch to the next, dealerships will be dinosaurs.

^^A question: When someone buys a car online they're still buying it from a dealer because car companies won't sell to individuals and it's where warranty (and other?) service is done, no?

^^A question: When someone buys a car online they're still buying it from a dealer because car companies won't sell to individuals and it's where warranty (and other?) service is done, no?
The only car I bought online was the Tesla Model 3 in Dec 2018. Work is done at a "Service Center" or at your home, depending. The 12V battery was going south earlier this year; Tesla sent a Mobile Tech over to replace it.

I would imagine traditional car companies would have you take your car into a dealer, just like you moved to another state.

Back