Buick dealers giving up franchises

Probably a good move to get out of a Buick franchise. It doesn't seem like they're selling well in the US anyway.
Yep, I agree. How many of the Buick models are made in China? That could have something to do with low volume of sales.

Yep, I agree. How many of the Buick models are made in China? That could have something to do with low volume of sales.
That is their big market these days. Buick used to be a mid level leaning on premium brand and now they're making one of the most affordable crossovers in the US market because sales have been waining and that one (Envista) and apparently one other Buick is also made in China for the US market.

Buick sales are actually booming in the USA. As the Envista ramps up, 2024 will likely be its best volume year in about 20 years.

BUT, they’ve averaged about 200,000 US sales per year over the last decade. Divide that by the roughly 2,000 dealers and each dealer averages only 2 sales PER WEEK!

Doesn’t make much sense to invest the ~$400,000 GM is requiring for EV support at those volumes.

IMG_5133.jpeg

Buick sales are actually booming in the USA. As the Envista ramps up, 2024 will likely be its best volume year in about 20 years.

BUT, they’ve averaged about 200,000 US sales per year over the last decade. Divide that by the roughly 2,000 dealers and each dealer averages only 2 sales PER WEEK!

Doesn’t make much sense to invest the ~$400,000 GM is requiring for EVs support.

View attachment 194111
They're moving in a budget spot though. They might be moving some units, but the Enclave is probably the closest thing they have to an actual premium vehicle if you can call it that.

Always amazed me GM was able to have so many models competing against eachother.
I think that's because they've found most customers want to keep buying the same brand and it's easier to sell the same vehicle slightly redesigned and keep the same brand than convince a buyer to move to another brand even under the same umbrella. I'm not so sure the average buyer puts as much into parent companies of brands as more enthusiast level buyers do.

The type of investment GM is asking for, in a brand that is relying on a demographic that wants vehicle with a badge from the good ole days, tasked with selling a powertrain that is seen with disgust in that demographic....you must be bold as heck.

Its easy to see why folks are heading for the exit. I would say they are better served with selling to their core buyer which is China, but even these days selling an EV there is tough with soo manny cheaper options.

That’s why they are the top selling US automobile manufacturer for 90 years.

Also, see the link I provided in the previous post
GM was (is) huge. Once the largest company in the world.

Having internally competing brands wasn't why they became so large, it was a consequence of being so large. Hence, why they have cut Olds, Pontiac, Saturn, etc.

I think that's because they've found most customers want to keep buying the same brand and it's easier to sell the same vehicle slightly redesigned and keep the same brand than convince a buyer to move to another brand even under the same umbrella. I'm not so sure the average buyer puts as much into parent companies of brands as more enthusiast level buyers do.
There were only 3-4 car companies back then when the marketing strategy worked. As people made more money, they wanted to buy a nicer car. They stood a good chance of keeping the customer with GM. With so many car companies and models today that strategy is obsolete.

GM was (is) huge. Once the largest company in the world.

Having internally competing brands wasn't why they became so large, it was a consequence of being so large. Hence, why they have cut Olds, Pontiac, Saturn, etc.
I wasn’t examining the reason I was just stating the fact that no one has sold more cars in the United States for 90 years.
Obviously whatever they’re doing has worked.

The Encore and Encore GX are made in S. Korea.
The Envista will be made in S. Korea.
The Envision is made in Red China.
This is an excellent strategy to bring profits and cost-effectiveness like all global companies do.

Doesn’t make much sense to invest the ~$400,000 GM is requiring for EV support at those volumes.

View attachment 194111
124k cars sold by 2k dealers is 62 per dealer over 9 months is 7 per month not 2. Still nothing worth noting but at least 7 beats 2.

Back