Bugatti Veyron $21k oil change???

Status
Not open for further replies.
This video randomly appeared in my YouTube feed, interesting watch. Definitely not your average oil change!
laugh.gif

We were travelling for work, and my boss dropped his Continental GT in for a service...they drove us to the airport in a Merc, had free coffee and pastries at both ends, and threw in a few trinkets ($100 coffee mugs and the like) at the end.

Standard service was $3,500 Oz (that's like $50 US these days)…$600 of which was 12 litres of M1 0W40...service manager in a suit wasn't happy when I turned to the boss and said I could halve his oil costs, and next time send him with all he needed in the trunk.

Four wheel drive, turboed W12, it when like $ hit off a shiney shovel...I didn't get to drive, but it was a rocketship from the passenger seat.

Watching the Vid through...

To DO the oil change they could have jacked it up, removed the 16 drain plugs, let the oil out, replaced the filter, and refilled it through that trap door on the side. Wheels could have stayed on, along with all the panelling.

About half way through I was thinking what were the Bugatti people thinking...then saw the plugs, filter and fill hole.

16 drain plugs makes sense in a dry sumped engine.

There's low points all over that should be drained for completeness.

Originally Posted By: Mitsu_Joe
It also made me cringe how he dipped the new oilfilter in the old, black oil on a 2 million dollar cars oil change.
Come on dude, you can’t afford an extra qt. of fresh oil for that car? ...

I only watched couple of minutes but if that's what he did maybe unknowingly he is helping tribofilm retention.
Maybe some experts can comment regarding that! Pros and cons of fresh oil vs. tribofilm retention!?? Shannow is online maybe he can answer which is better! I know enough to be dangerous...

Also hope with that price tag they don't over-torque anything
grin.gif

He didn't dip the new oil filter in the old oil.

He used the residual old oil in the filter canister to lube the O ring on the filter housing (housing is like the GM/VM diesels, ZD30 Nissan/Renault...can't ever get the old oil out of them completely).

I see. Mitso_Joe comment sounded like they filled the oil filter with old oil ... and I had tribofilm flashback. lol

Sorry, my bad.
It was like 2 am when I watched that, probably was a bit too tired haha.

But I think it gets clear what I mean, many people here seemingly do an oil change more carefully on their old cars than they on this Bugatti. Maybe that’s the stereotypical german perfectionist inside of me...
laugh.gif

Having said that, I wonder what that Bugattis oil consumption is, if he wants to overfill it before he goes on a short drive... I know that formula 1 engines burn 1-2 % of oil in relation to gasoline to keep the cylinders cooled better, but this isnt exactly a formula 1 engine...

I will never buy any new car that burns oil ... Unless it's my old car lol
Maybe nothing wrong with burning oil with the new(er) technology and/or expensive cars but I have been brainwashed!

Well burning oil is a thing that becomes more and more common in newer engines due to downsizing and under-engineering important small parts like piston-rings... Normally, an engine must use oil as the oil that lubricates the valve seats gets incredibly hot by exhaust gasses of 900 degrees and more, there is always an amount of blow-by, just the question is how high that oil consumption is. I can drive 5000 miles without seeing a difference on the dipstick, with supercars/sporty driving those numbers get higher, so its quite normal for racing engines to burn some oil.
But downsizing isnt an excuse for burning oil, many tuners here tune the Mitsubishi 4G15T engine, a 1,5l engine, to 220hp and more without excessive oil consumption, with factory internals... Its the cheaping out manufacturers and thin oils that make some modern cars burn oil again, VAG being the worst.

Last edited:
Well darn it, guess I can cross a Bugatti off my list of vehicles to cross shop next time.

Lots of complaints about oil color... but I thought oil color wasn't a good indicator of anything?

Throw 2 million on an exotic car and have Laurel and Hardy work on it?

I get the idea of "single sheet" smoothness for the body panels but all the silly unscrewing necessary to get to the air filters and whatever else is too, too much.

At about 4:45 did anyone notice how the little guy let the tool buzz around the fastener before it seated? Then it unscrewed.
Jerky, sloppy monkeys they are. I wasn't impressed by them.

After pouring the old oil into containers: "16 or 18 quarts of oil".

Anybody see the "old garage poster" in the background? It read, "When did you learn the value of a rehearsal?"

Apparently an oil change isn't just an oil change for the Veyron. They open the engine and inspect clearances and oil passages, which means splitting the W12 engine in half. That is, if this article is to be believed. ALso, I guess you have to remove the rear fender and rear deck just to refill and check air filters.

Source
Source 2

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Apparently an oil change isn't just an oil change for the Veyron. They open the engine and inspect clearances and oil passages, which means splitting the W12 engine in half.

That's a physical impossibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back