Toyota 1AR-FE (2.7L) intake cam phaser

Bought a 2013 Venza from an elderly family member who rarely drove it. Has 21,000 miles on it. Makes the typical cam phaser rattle on startup as seems common to toyotas of this era.

I bought a new phaser and associated Gaskets at our local dealer. Found a TSB which calls out this phaser who making the noise. So I didn't do any diagnostic work.

Replaced the phaser yesterday and did an oil change after a short test drive.

Still makes the rattle on startup which seems to be related to the timing chain tensioner. Tensioner is only on the 3rd rachet out, (only 21k after all) and without oil pressure there is a bit of slack as noticed between the 2 cam sprockets.
20231109_141929.jpg
20231109_141936.jpg
20231109_141944.jpg
20231109_115605.jpg

On my old 02' Saturn it had a bolt on the outside of the block that was the chain guide tension. You could snug it up if needed. Glad you narrowed it down. What is left to do?

On my old 02' Saturn it had a bolt on the outside of the block that was the chain guide tension. You could snug it up if needed. Glad you narrowed it down. What is left to do?
This is a spring tensioner, which is really a hydraulic tensioner with a one way ratchet. It seems with a bit more chain stretch the next ratchet will make the chain tight without oil pressure.

Did you really have a problem to begin with on a car with such low mileage? This noise could be considered normal operation based on the design of these components. The locking pin on a vvt hub may take a few engine revolutions to align with the outer body. Oil drain back in a hydraulic system can also lead to temporary valve train noise for a few seconds upon startup.

Did you really have a problem to begin with on a car with such low mileage? This noise could be considered normal operation based on the design of these components. The locking pin on a vvt hub may take a few engine revolutions to align with the outer body. Oil drain back in a hydraulic system can also lead to temporary valve train noise for a few seconds upon startup.
There is a TSB issued by Toyota about the a redesign of the phaser and improved locking pin. Apparently the phaser can break internally if let go too long.

It was a good will Service that tye dealer would replace the phaser at no charge if the customer complained of the noise.

I couldn't get them to do tye replacement due to vehicle age, and tried to get the parts for free as I'm an ASE master auto tech, and this is my (wife's) personal car. No dice.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this startup rattle on any Toyota L4 or V6.

There is a TSB issued by Toyota about the a redesign of the phaser and improved locking pin. Apparently the phaser can break internally if let go too long.

It was a good will Service that tye dealer would replace the phaser at no charge if the customer complained of the noise.

I couldn't get them to do tye replacement due to vehicle age, and tried to get the parts for free as I'm an ASE master auto tech, and this is my (wife's) personal car. No dice.

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this startup rattle on any Toyota L4 or V6.

Had a 2015 Camry with the 2.5L that rattled on cold startup since new. Oddly enough I'm on my 4th Toyota V6 and no cold start rattles on those.

Back