Broccoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't eat it. Yuck.
Cantaloupe stinks too. Nasty
smile.gif

Think I'd eat V-mite ahead of Brussel Sprouts (do they make a cold filtered pill?) - broccoli can be helped with dairy delights
wink.gif

Last edited:
I like it steamed and yes just until it's bright green. I grew some this year for the first time in a couple decades. Loved it raw in a salad with almonds. onions and dried cranberries. Saved the left over stalks after cutting the heads off to a pot belly pig.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I like broccoli. I am THAT weird.

Oh, yeah? I'll raise you Brussels Sprouts!

I love both!
I really like broccoli, especially with cheese sauce. It's good added to Ichiban noodles as well.

Brussels sprouts, though, were one of the foods of my youth I had terrible memories of, vying with liver for bottom place. That all changed a couple of years ago - I bought some on impulse, my wife cooked them w/ lemon and butter, and they're my favourite veggie now.

Number 35, brussels are like two different vegetables...the ones that I had on school camp, boiled in water until mush were terrible.

I eat them raw while cooking.

Throw them whole into the roasting dish while you are baking a leg of lamb or chicken or pork, and let them colour up and shrink a bit...they make a great side roasted in meat fat/juice.

Originally Posted By: Number_35

Brussels sprouts, though, were one of the foods of my youth I had terrible memories of, vying with liver for bottom place. That all changed a couple of years ago - I bought some on impulse, my wife cooked them w/ lemon and butter, and they're my favourite veggie now.

OMG... liver. Bad memory from my childhood. Mom was great but for a while she would fix liver at least once a week. Think the general nutritional science people at the time in the 50's 60's or 70's proclaimed that people needed to eat it once a week for good health or some kind of nonsense. Didn't matter how it was prepared, I hated it. It was disgusting.

Liver is great...lambs fry and bacon gravy is one of my all time faves. We used to have it at work twice a year back in the days of having morale.

Sliced, floured and fried on toast for breakfast is a rare treat...and one that I'll be sharing with my kids when we move in a couple of weeks.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Did I just steam some broccoli or did someone peel off pair of two day socks...
Sounds like the feet those socks are covering need to be scrubbed down, exfoliated and then hit with antifungal spray.
Brussels sprouts, by the way. Those are the foul, athlete's foot-smelling 'no thanks' evil of a green edible.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I like broccoli. I am THAT weird.

Oh, yeah? I'll raise you Brussels Sprouts!

Brussels Sprouts are one of my favorites!!

Love both of these, but brussel sprouts halved, then browned in olive oil and a bit of minced garlic...that's a treat that can't be beat.

Broccoli....think of it as cauliflower, but with actual flavor and color.

Put some in a pan with some olive oil or butter or peanut oil, fry it up slightly add a bit of salt...dang it is tasty !!

Brussels Sprouts.... I am allergic to them...cuz when I try to eat them...I vomit instantly....and there is no one on this planet that can cook them to make them taste good...I have tried various ways and it just can't be done.

liking broccoli has to do with your genes. You either have the gene that that makes an amino acid or something or you don't. Cilantro tastes like soap to me for same reason

Ever had a bad experience with booze? I did with tequila. Couldn't go near it for ages. Same with the yipes in golf. It's your body's defence mechanism kicking in to protect you from a perceived threat. I used hate peas. Many a dinner when I was a wee lad I had to wolf it down PDQ or I could barely manage to keep it down. My parents grew up in Briton during the war. With rationing whatever was on their plate they had to eat. That mindset, along with most parents during my youth was prevalent. Heaven forbid you didn't finish your plate when visiting - that was an insult. Now I love peas. Guess they knew what was best after all.

The only thing I'm not fussy on now is eggplant. Tastes like it was boiled in swamp water.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ndfergy
Ever had a bad experience with booze? I did with tequila. Couldn't go near it for ages. Same with the yipes in golf. It's your body's defence mechanism kicking in to protect you from a perceived threat. I used hate peas. Many a dinner when I was a wee lad I had to wolf it down PDQ or I could barely manage to keep it down. My parents grew up in Briton during the war. With rationing whatever was on their plate they had to eat. That mindset, along with most parents during my youth was prevalent. Heaven forbid you didn't finish your plate when visiting - that was an insult. Now I love peas. Guess they knew what was best after all.

The only thing I'm not fussy on now is eggplant. Tastes like it was boiled in swamp water.

OOPS! I Just realized this is the humour section.

try these 2 recipes:
-cut it into slices
-oil a pan
-set slices
-cut a tomato into slices
-set slices on top of the eggplant slices
-salt/pepper/stuff
-grated cheese/parmigiano on top
-trow in the oven for 10-15 minutes

2. egplant salad/babaganoush variant
-cook them on a grill/in the oven
-clean the peel
-drain any liquid/juice (less swamp/bitter taste)
-chop them finely (food processor works also)
-mix with salt and oil (changes the taste)
-finely chop some onion and garlic cloves
-some mayo
-mix everything
-serve cool on freshly grilled bread/crunchy bits/salty tea biscuits/chips

Originally Posted By: pandus13

try these 2 recipes:
-cut it into slices
-oil a pan
-set slices
-cut a tomato into slices
-set slices on top of the eggplant slices
-salt/pepper/stuff
-grated cheese/parmigiano on top
-trow in the oven for 10-15 minutes

2. egplant salad/babaganoush variant
-cook them on a grill/in the oven
-clean the peel
-drain any liquid/juice (less swamp/bitter taste)
-chop them finely (food processor works also)
-mix with salt and oil (changes the taste)
-finely chop some onion and garlic cloves
-some mayo
-mix everything
-serve cool on freshly grilled bread/crunchy bits/salty tea biscuits/chips

That actually sounds good. I've copied your recipe. As long as I have a family member cook it surreptitiously it might work.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
At least one scene in the version shown in Japan changed that to green bell peppers, because broccoli is generally liked by kids in Japan.

Yup, for some reasons a lot of Japanese dislike bell pepper.

I like broccoli, Brussels sprout is alright, cilantro only if in small amount. Arugula however, I'd go out of my way to take that out. One tiny piece will ruin my meal, and I couldn't believe sandwich places just put them in without asking people whether they want it first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back