Break Fluid??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flushed my "BRAKE" Fluid again on my 2014 Mazda 3 hatch @ 60k miles on the clock. This is the second time I've bled the system (dumped the factory fill @ 30k miles)

The clutch MC uses the same reservoir at the brakes on this car.

The dark stuff floating around came from the system. Bottle, lines and valves were all cleaned before the process.

Just an FYI for those who think this maintenance isn't important. It is. My clutch pedal feels smoother then before the flush.

New brake fluid is CLEAR, by the way... not that color means much.

Brake fluid is cheap, I make it a point to flush it out every 30K or if the pads are changed. In some cars with expensive ABS or brake by wire *cough*Prius*cough*, regular brake fluid flushes can help stave off expensive brake actuator replacement.

Last edited:
Right? AAP has Valvoline Synthetic Brake fluid on sale. I just got two new bottles for next time.

It's cheap but can be time consuming if you don't have the right tools.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Right? AAP has Valvoline Synthetic Brake fluid on sale. I just got two new bottles for next time.

It's cheap but can be time consuming if you don't have the right tools.

What's with this "Synthetic Brake fluid" jive? Think I've seen that a few times on here lately.

Unlike the usage of the term "synthetic" for motor oil, it isn't wrong/meaningless/misleading, but it does seem to be redundant, since AFAIK all brake fluid is synthetic (with the probable exception of the Citroen spec oil-based fluid, which is incompatible with most systems).

I've read somewhere that "synthetic" is sometimes used to mean silicon-based fluid, (which doesn't make sense, since it isn't any more synthetic than any of the other fluids) but I doubt that's the usage above.

Last edited:
Who knows. I'm just stating what fluid was used, which is Valvoline DOT 3 / 4 synthetic brake Lube. Hahaha.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Rand
Water is the best Break fluid, maybe a slice of lemon for flavor.

Water may be the best break fluid, but I prefer soda. Coffee I think is the most popular break fluid though.

I like my break fluid aged and brown, unlike my brake fluid.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Ducked
What's with this "Synthetic Brake fluid" jive? Think I've seen that a few times on here lately.

It's a great way to try to justify appalling pricing.

Who knows.

Garak

I'm just stating what fluid was used, which is Valvoline DOT 3 / 4 synthetic brake Lube. Hahaha.

They describe brake fluid as "Lube"?

They need to fire (or hire) a technical writer.

Hohoho.

Last edited:
I've never "flushed" my brake system at all for any vehicle I've owned, aside from doing a bleed after a caliper or wheel cylinder replacement. Thing is, my vehicles are typically not more than 6-7 yrs old, so it's not an issue for me. I'm sure that further down the road, doing so has a more positive impact. From what I've seen, the fluid that stays in the caliper cylinders is going to dirty/discolor quickly and that's typically where that ugly fluid will stay put.

Obviously, the master cylinder reservoir is vented, so there's always some contact with the air and moisture.

I just helped a family member bleed the brakes on his 2006 Subaru Outback turbo after a caliper replacement. Could the caliper that hung-up have been prevented by regular brake fluid changes? Sure could I suppose. Never been done on this vehicle and it's 12yrs old with 150K miles on it or so.

I was having a state inspection done on one of Subarus a few years back. The vehicle was about 2yrs old at the time with ~40K miles on it. I asked the shop about changing the brake fluid. They recommended against it. "That's for hot, humid climates.. Not here". I'm sure the next shop over would probably do it depending on their work load.

Last edited:
Ducked, the sad thing is I can get Castrol LMA DOT 4, no low end brake fluid by any stretch of the imagination, for significantly cheaper than any DOT 3, regardless of marketing verbiage, even house branded stuff.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Ducked, the sad thing is I can get Castrol LMA DOT 4, no low end brake fluid by any stretch of the imagination, for significantly cheaper than any DOT 3, regardless of marketing verbiage, even house branded stuff.

Canadian prices always seem much higher than US. In the US, Dot 3 is still cheaper, you can get a quart of Dot 3 for under $5, Dot 4 is usually at least $10 for 32 oz. Castrol Dot 4 does seem to be the cheapest of the Dot 4 fluids out there though. A gallon at Oreilly is about $29 which would work out to about $7.25 for 32 oz.

I just bled and flushed my two 1987 vehicles recently. One was last done in 2001 and the
other in 2003 according to my records. Fluid was dark but I did not have any issues with the brakes. I just "thought" it might be due. The brakes still feel the same, very good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak

Canadian prices always seem much higher than US. In the US, Dot 3 is still cheaper, you can get a quart of Dot 3 for under $5, Dot 4 is usually at least $10 for 32 oz. Castrol Dot 4 does seem to be the cheapest of the Dot 4 fluids out there though. A gallon at Oreilly is about $29 which would work out to about $7.25 for 32 oz.

Local (China Petroleum Corporation) DOT3 is, IIRC, 250NT a litre plastic bottle, DOT4 is, IIRC, 350NT a litre metal bottle (perhaps metal because its more hygroscopic?).

I use the DOT3 stuff.

I think a litre, best ordinary retail price is $12 or $13 for DOT 3, so, yes, we're significantly higher. I probably could do better with DOT 3 in quantity at a jobber price, but with what I pay for Castrol LMA and how little I need, that's by far the best bargain.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Asked a friend how often he changes changes his brake fluid. He said “ Never, is that often enough? “

lol.gif

I'm reminded of what I once heard a European automotive engineer say:

"The difference between European drivers and American drivers is:
European drivers don't care if the brakes squeal- just as long as they stop the car.
American drivers don't care if the brakes stop the car- just as long as they don't squeal."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back