Bratwurst

I have so much Deer sausage in the freezer that I am unable to participate in this discussion ..:rolleyes:

Had Two Hearted - the beer at least. Was kind of disappointed. It was OK, but with all the hype about awards that it won I thought it would be mind blowing.

As far as the bratwurst goes, is it cooked or uncooked? I think I've tried Johnsonville uncooked bratwurst. I noted that it wasn't as dry/hard once cooked, but I was worried about proper cooking. It was this one:

8d69602f4be85e46bf2a5feeb081dcc320ae0d72.png

I think it cooks down to about the same weight as 16 oz of precooked.
Yeah, the Bells brats are uncooked as well

Those are disgusting.

Pork free? I think we found the problem.

There is yet to be a poultry sausage as good as a mammal sausage. My wife has tried them all. On me. It's just the way meat runs.

Johnsonville are OK in a pinch. Always see if there is a wienery local. Most will be better than supermarket.

My dad would go to the German butcher and get wiessewurst. Oh baby.

View attachment 169467
Wiesswurst served in the broth in the bowl...true German style...yeah baby. That's good eating.

That's great. Anyone moving to Wisconsin for that reason needs help. State has zero to offer otherwise
Wisconsin is one of those states where a high percentage of the people who live here were born here (I'm not one of them). It's not overcrowded but big cities are easily accessible. I live on a 40-acre hobby farm but I can be in downtown Milwaukee or Madison in less than an hour. And a life like that is affordable here. I don't have any plans to move.

johnsonville is to sausage as dominos is to pizza.
Just thought of this, a vendor asked me to do a reference for them, and the co looking for it was Johnsonville. I think it’s based on that conversation that I learn they make branded sausage, but it was a long time ago so not really sure…

Wisconsin is one of those states where a high percentage of the people who live here were born here (I'm not one of them). It's not overcrowded but big cities are easily accessible. I live on a 40-acre hobby farm but I can be in downtown Milwaukee or Madison in less than an hour. And a life like that is affordable here. I don't have any plans to move.
I have some Wisconsin Badgers shirts, Dri Fits, and my son has a NHL like infant jersey (all from eBay as I look for new with tags at $8-$17 incl shipping). Interestingly the dri fits are blue (not red) and I’ve been asked if the logo is a squirrel 😂

I used to Iisten to a Whad’Ya Know radio show that I think was at the university and I always wanted to visit. Listened to A Prairie Home Companion and Car Talk too at the time. Memories…🙂

I have so much Deer sausage in the freezer that I am unable to participate in this discussion ..:rolleyes:

Kind of hard to do that around here. No lack of deer, mind you. Yesterday I had to slow down and honk with four (including a couple of bucks) blocking the street yesterday but we can’t exactly shoot at them in a suburban area.

Must be an acquired taste. But truth be told, if venison were all that good, you'd see it on the menu of more than a few decent restaurants and that's simply not the case.
Those that hunt deer convince themselves it's good eating. To the rest of the world, it's horrible.

Must be an acquired taste. But truth be told, if venison were all that good, you'd see it on the menu of more than a few decent restaurants and that's simply not the case.
Those that hunt deer convince themselves it's good eating. To the rest of the world, it's horrible.
Tons of great restaurants have venison. It’s lean and hack cooks don’t know how to cook it properly. The reason you don’t see it on menus of freezer restaurants is the **** restaurant distribution companies only do pedestrian meats and really no large deer ranches.

Horrible? Huh?? To each his own

I’ve also had deer and bear salami which was delicious

Tons of great restaurants have venison. It’s lean and hack cooks don’t know how to cook it properly. The reason you don’t see it on menus of freezer restaurants is the **** restaurant distribution companies only do pedestrian meats and really no large deer ranches.

It's not sold in grocery stores either.
I never buy the " you don't like it because you never tasted it when it's cooked right". That's exactly what some say about Mexican food and I've had it in Mexico and some of the best Mexican restaurants in AZ, CA and TX. I'm not saying Mexican is bad, but it's pretty much all the same thing.

It's not sold in grocery stores either.
I never buy the " you don't like it because you never tasted it when it's cooked right". That's exactly what some say about Mexican food and I've had it in Mexico and some of the best Mexican restaurants in AZ, CA and TX. I'm not saying Mexican is bad, but it's pretty much all the same thing.
You made my point about distribution

You just don’t like the taste? What other game meats have you tried?

All Mexican food is pretty much not the same thing but that’s a different discussion.

I don't hunt Deer . The meat is given to me . It's processed by a local shop and the sausage is made to order . Next ?

Out on the road today thought I swing in to check it out the world headquarters of Johnsonville Sausage.
This is the marketplace store across fromm the Manufacturing and just a few miles from Road America race track so it gets plenty of traffic this time of year it actually has a sheboygan falls address my home town.

Attachments

• 20230730_114235.jpg
    20230730_114235.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230730_114316.jpg
    20230730_114316.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230730_114306.jpg
    20230730_114306.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230730_114228.jpg
    20230730_114228.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 4
I noticed that my local Meijer has Bells Craft Beer Bratwurst. They have Oberon and Two Hearted varieties. I can’t imagine how either wouldn’t be great. Have any of you tasted these?
Ive had the Bell's before. Theyre not bad. Theyre no Johnsonvilles, Usingers, Klements or anything like brats from a local butcher but they arent bad.
To me fair though, I was born and raised in Wisconsin; so Ive been pretty spoiled when it comes to good brats.

I've always loved game meat, especially venison and boar. I don't want to eat bear meat because I'd become too powerful and all the roaring would attract unwanted attention. :ROFLMAO: Game meat isn't hard to find. Meat markets have it and even Grocery Outlet has Kiwi venison for, pun alert, 6 bucks a pound. Elk is getting popular on restaurant menus. I have to get some venison summer sausage! Game meat and wild berries. Oh, deer!

Last edited:
I have family in North Dakota who live near some farms where they raise bison commercially. I like that meat quite a bit, the bonus being that it's managed to eliminate parasites and disease. Around here the deer are so thick that chronic wasting disease has become a problem. The National Institutes of Health says there is no record of CWD transmission to humans, but I'll skip the venison just the same.

I have family in North Dakota who live near some farms where they raise bison commercially. I like that meat quite a bit, the bonus being that it's managed to eliminate parasites and disease. Around here the deer are so thick that chronic wasting disease has become a problem. The National Institutes of Health says there is no record of CWD transmission to humans, but I'll skip the venison just the same.

My understanding is that farm raised bison almost always have cattle genes. About the only American bison herds that don't have any traceable cattle genes are in several national parks.

Back