Bratwurst

I noticed that my local Meijer has Bells Craft Beer Bratwurst. They have Oberon and Two Hearted varieties. I can’t imagine how either wouldn’t be great. Have any of you tasted these?

Unfortunately bratwurst to me is Costco. Prior to that Johnsonville (for all we know they supply Costco). They don’t taste like ones made at a sausage store. Way more salty and different. But < $3/lb is better then +$10/lb 😂

I used to be a Johnsonville loyalist, until I tried this local made product. It is so much better and has way less fat than JV.

All sausage products are great - anything other evaluation would be considered discrimination and cause outrage. 🙃

Have you read the fat and calories on the package? I like sausage as much as the next guy but have switched to the chicken versions years ago. Less than half the calories.

GUEST_1bd3c433-4c2a-4ee9-9c7b-fb1b73a6e85d

Have you read the fat and calories on the package? I like sausage as much as the next guy but have switched to the chicken versions years ago. Less than half the calories.

GUEST_1bd3c433-4c2a-4ee9-9c7b-fb1b73a6e85d
If you want really lean sausages you may want to look into venison sausages. Venison is very lean (and a bit dry). When I make venison patties or meatballs I add a little pork for higher fat content. Depending on the type of venison sausage, such as venison salami, the dryness may not be an issue.

Swiss Colony Wild Game Meat Sticks made from venison, elk, and buffalo blended with beef and pork are very good.

If you want really lean sausages you may want to look into venison sausages. Venison is very lean (and a bit dry). When I make venison patties or meatballs I add a little pork for higher fat content. Depending on the type of venison sausage, such as venison salami, the dryness may not be an issue.
I always felt fat is flavor. Also natural casings. Now if I were one of the lifeguards at the Y yesterday (they had their shirts off and acting like Arnold at Venice Beach in 1976 outposing one another), I'd eat all the fat my heart desired!

Not necessarily lean, but 270 calories for one of the brats is more than I care for. What animal is venison and who makes it? Is that like ostrich meat? I don't think I've seen that in the supermarket.

Not necessarily lean, but 270 calories for one of the brats is more than I care for. What animal is venison and who makes it? Is that like ostrich meat? I don't think I've seen that in the supermarket.
Venison is deer. 🦌 I don't feel like eating ostrich. Their eggs are good but $75 each!

In Wisconsin every little butcher shop makes and sells their own brats. The locals always beat the big guys like Johnsonville. One place, the Sausage Haus in Oconomowoc, has a killer Hungarian brat.

A minute in the microwave and done. Others can cook better than I can so if it's already cooked, even better.
I had heard from wife’s niece truck stops all sell fresh brats and cheese curds. I’ve only been there 1x…Kenosha!

Back