Bratwurst

Yeah but can't they feed a family of 6 for a month??!
One ostrich egg equals two dozen chicken eggs. Enough to last just me 8 or 9 days. An ostrich lays one or two eggs per week. Sometimes they lay them while standing - not a good practice.

Had Two Hearted - the beer at least. Was kind of disappointed. It was OK, but with all the hype about awards that it won I thought it would be mind blowing.

As far as the bratwurst goes, is it cooked or uncooked? I think I've tried Johnsonville uncooked bratwurst. I noted that it wasn't as dry/hard once cooked, but I was worried about proper cooking. It was this one:

8d69602f4be85e46bf2a5feeb081dcc320ae0d72.png

I think it cooks down to about the same weight as 16 oz of precooked.

I used to be a Johnsonville loyalist, until I tried this local made product. It is so much better and has way less fat than JV.
I had one of those in the Anheuser Bush Beer Garden when we toured the brewery. Best brat I’ve ever had! Went to get some to take home but they are closed on Mondays

I’m a big Johnsonville fan as well! The jalapeño cheddar brats just showed up
Hatch pepper 🌶 season is near local in Wisconsin Sendiks foods will have Hatch Chille with Cheddar cheese bratwurst the absolute best Brat of the year I promise I will post when they release them.

Have you read the fat and calories on the package? I like sausage as much as the next guy but have switched to the chicken versions years ago. Less than half the calories.

GUEST_1bd3c433-4c2a-4ee9-9c7b-fb1b73a6e85d
Those are disgusting.

Pork free? I think we found the problem.

There is yet to be a poultry sausage as good as a mammal sausage. My wife has tried them all. On me. It's just the way meat runs.

Johnsonville are OK in a pinch. Always see if there is a wienery local. Most will be better than supermarket.

My dad would go to the German butcher and get wiessewurst. Oh baby.

1690659559032.jpg

Those are disgusting.

Pork free? I think we found the problem.

There is yet to be a poultry sausage as good as a mammal sausage. My wife has tried them all. On me. It's just the way meat runs.

Johnsonville are OK in a pinch. Always see if there is a wienery local. Most will be better than supermarket.

My dad would go to the German butcher and get wiessewurst. Oh baby.

View attachment 169467
I’m in Pablo’s corner. My wife will buy the chicken brats occasionally. They are edible but I don’t enjoy eating them. Stardard pork brats I like to bring to a boil in a skillet with a can of beer and then simmer for 15 minutes or so. Then it’s onto the grill for a quick browning. We used to have a local meat processor that made something they called Oktoberfest sausages out of whatever game meat you brought in. I miss that place.

In Wisconsin every little butcher shop makes and sells their own brats. The locals always beat the big guys like Johnsonville. One place, the Sausage Haus in Oconomowoc, has a killer Hungarian brat.
That's great. Anyone moving to Wisconsin for that reason needs help. State has zero to offer otherwise

That's great. Anyone moving to Wisconsin for that reason needs help. State has zero to offer otherwise
I like Wisconsin. They have great youth hockey, lots of beautiful parks and great race tracks. I could live there but might be hard with the Packer fans 🤣

Just my $0.02

In Wisconsin every little butcher shop makes and sells their own brats. The locals always beat the big guys like Johnsonville. One place, the Sausage Haus in Oconomowoc, has a killer Hungarian brat.

My in-laws have a place on Oconomowoc lake. Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll be picking these up next time I’m up there.

I used to be a Johnsonville loyalist, until I tried this local made product. It is so much better and has way less fat than JV.

I’m a G&W fan also. A guy I let hunt on my property gets his deer processed there and gives me brats and sausage sticks.

I noticed that my local Meijer has Bells Craft Beer Bratwurst. They have Oberon and Two Hearted varieties. I can’t imagine how either wouldn’t be great. Have any of you tasted these?
We've had these and thought they were pretty good.
Along with a green veggie, these make for a good and filling weeknight meal.

Back