brake caliper/ pad lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: E150GT
I use superlube silicone dielectric grease

Seems to me Superlube is not compatible with the rubber parts.

I only use "Motorcraft Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound" on anything brakes related. Part number XG-3-A. Excellent for disc brakes, drum brakes, and spark plug wires (not to be used on primary wiring electrical connectors or bulbs).

If the grease will touch rubber, silicone or glycol grease is best - just make sure there isn't any petroleum component like mineral oil or PAO/ester in it. That copper grease is anti-seize and while it might work fine for the pad ledges and any metal-on-metal slides, it will swell up EPDM/natural rubber in brakes used on slide pin bushings and piston boots.

I think SuperLube does make a rubber-safe silicone dielectric grease, I've seen it listed on their website.

What I know about lubricants is that they do not stay in one place when applied to moving parts even less so when the parts are subject to movement & vibration.

I am really looking for one solution that I can apply to the whole brake assembly: calliper and pad both metal and rubber parts hence my original question about silicon grease. ON paper it looks that it has a better performance than grease (maybe not the same pressure strength?)

BTW are the rubber parts these days not made of synthetic material resistance to petroleum based products?

Originally Posted By: bonjo

BTW are the rubber parts these days not made of synthetic material resistance to petroleum based products?

This is a VERY GOOD QUESTION, to which I've never seen a good answer, though I've asked similar questions a few times.

It seems to be generally recognised that you shouldn't use oil-based greases on rubber brake components, and I wouldn't choose to do so, especially on the old cars that I usually drive.

However, I SUSPECT that, since you can't apparently get any brake greases here in Taiwan, mechanics just use ordinary lithium general purpose petroleum-base grease, and I have personal experience of British mechanics doing this on a sticky piston of my 4 ton Renault Dodge truck wheel cylinder, which I found a bit alarming.

This might suggest that you can get away with it, at least for a while, and that while might be long enough, especially here, and especially if it wasn't your car.

I recently asked a related question about the rubber compatibility of greases used on other components like CV and track rod end boots. This was completely ignored, which I find a bit odd considering the endless and largely pointless "what oil should I use" discussions on here.

I don't know rubber incompatability is a problem in those applications, but I can't see why it wouldn't be unless they use more oil resistant rubber than is used for brakes.

I've never seen this discussed, AT ALL, ANYWHERE, apart from by me. I am the rubber duck in the room.

rubberduck.jpg

If it is a problem, it still may not matter as much as the lubricant performance, which might be why it is generally ignored and people go for a molybdenum grease.

I suppose the optimum might be a silicone grease with molybdenum in it. I dunno if this exists but if it does its a fair bet I couldn't get it here.

Last edited:
I have finally settelrd on silicon grease as the best product I can get over here.

I tried searching for permatex (which looks ideal for me) but the costs are very high. A 25$ container costs £42 + duties if any!!!!

thanks for all your informative input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back