bowing out of facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found my excellent paying IT work from home job via Facebook and an old connection(former coworker).

I posted "sitting on a beach in Aruba wondering if I'll find work when I get back...." I got a comment please contact me about work when you get back.

I keep my account
smile.gif

Never had facebook.
Have what a mate calls "facebook for f'wits", Linkdin, and it's got a few boards for turbiney stuff, and keep in touch professionally with a number of people in the industry.

The groups are handy for events or stuff like the kids soccer league, as the schedule is always there, as well as weather cancellations.
Also there is a page for a small town near us, that's just people posting local events, or questions, or bear sightings. Its amazing how respectful everyone is on it, as no one posts junk.
It is entertaining sometimes, I have one friend who basically is the right wing version of John Stewart and his commentary on current events is always good for a laugh, as are the responses.
It does give you a small window into other peoples lives which I find interesting as I don't see many of them for years.

Dumped FB about 2 years ago and never looked back. FB has redefined the word "friend" for the sheeple, and has preyed on the fact that there are billions of lonely folks looking something to do. (Psst... hey buddy....I got a whole truckload of friends here... let me send you a request or two and lets start something.) IMO, there is a reason I don't associate with the idiots I went to high school with, and they can stay right where they are... in the pages of the yearbooks. Same for some family. My real friends get phone calls. Which, BTW, I never got from any of those folks that were my "friends" on FB. 2 plus years, no communication... Maybe they think I'm dead.

Last edited:
I've never understood the appeal at all. It should be renamed "Stalkbook" because all it seems like to me is a way for people who are hopelessly lonely and bored to snoop on other people who insist on putting their entire life story on the internet. And then you have the "middle-aged-wish they were high school girls again" women constantly posting duck face pictures of themselves,which looks beyond repulsive. I also don't understand the whole "Hey look at me,look at me!!" mentality of attention whores.

I'll never join that bandwagon. If I need to talk to someone,friend or family,I'll pick up the phone and dial their number or vise versa.

Facebook has become a mess lately. It's all hate filled political and racial bantering. I had to go on a blocking spree from certain posters...I just get sick of all the hate after while...

I use it a little, maybe once every other day.

I think it's rude to use a telephone to interrupt someone who could be cooking/ eating dinner or reading to their kids, putting the kids to bed etc to ask them how their kids are doing. So I "pull" content at a mutually convenient schedule instead of asking them to "push" content at my sole convenience.

I don't get political on FB. I click through the occasional, irresistible headline and FB "knows" how I lean. There is SERIOUSLY CREEPY MONEY on the line with "dark forces" trying to sway me with FB advertising. They are so blatantly obvious though that it just gets me to dig my heels in more. Sorry!

Facebook is what you make of it. narcissists thrive on it. I just try to keep track of friends and family myself. When i see someone who decides to stop using it my first instinct (usually correct) is that person is a flake.

Originally Posted By: Al
Like anything else. It can be used or abused. I like it. Don't like it? Don't use it.

Exactly right. Social media tools like facebook or linkedin, can be used to enrich your life if approached with a positive attitude and not abused or overused. It takes some level of maturity to use these tools, and you of course must be careful what you post and who or what you friend and follow. It takes some work, and some thought, but you generally get out if it what you are willing to put in. Like so many things in life, using social media in a positive, useful way to enrich your life is mostly about a person's attitude.

Last edited:
Unfollow is great, and blocking even better.
grin2.gif
Facebook is useful for keeping contact with friends and family far away ... it only aides a real relationship that is in place.

Deleted my facebook 6 years ago and never looked back. I'm 25, so most people my age find it interesting I don't have one. Its kind of funny, because the ladies find me mysterious.
wink.gif

For me it was an excessive time waster. I can see why people use it, but I have too much to do to listen to people complain all day.

Facebook was great back when I was in college and you needed a .edu email to join. I used it consistently to keep in touch with friends and it was a great tool to contact classmates and communicate about coursework. If I recall you could enter in your university name and then your college classes and you could see all your classmates. It was great for learning the names of the pretty girls. Once the floodgates were opened to everyone it became another MySpace disaster.

I do agree that it can be a great tool to keep in touch with people but naturally people become too obsessed with it and feel a need to broadcast their daily routines and lives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
I found my excellent paying IT work from home job via Facebook and an old connection(former coworker).

I posted "sitting on a beach in Aruba wondering if I'll find work when I get back...." I got a comment please contact me about work when you get back.

I keep my account
smile.gif

That alone could be a good reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back