bowing out of facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has facebook getting strange for anyone else lately?

I use it about once a week to take a look at what the family is doing out of state, and check out some pictures of what friends and family are doing, and that has been my primary use.

Don't care for games, or any other nonsense trivia or stuff like that.

My wife and I pretty much only post photos from trips that we took, and neat stuff that we seen along the way. That and a few pictures of our pets.

I currently have two ladies, that I attended highschool with 15 years ago, who post every malady that they or their children has, or they think they have. It is sad really, the one child had a lung infection and the mother did a play by play on facebook of the child being treated. Then she setup a "Prayers for" website for the child. Finally, a photo was uploaded of the child slumped over the couch. A week later the other child had a sprained ankle, and another play by play was given to everyone on facebook.

A long lost uncle of mine recruits bots to be his "friend" on facebook, and they flood his page with adult content, seriously X rated stuff that is probably not OK to be coming across my screen during work hours. What is sad is he posts messages on their pages thinking they are real people. It is just fake models and stuff like that.

A member of my family back in New York has stated that he will not be attending any family functions for fear that his ex wife may be there, and photos of them may appear on facebook. He wouldn't want his facebook fan club to appear as if they are getting back together.

Another facebook friend has dedicated his life to letting every one know his political views by sharing everything on a particular subject, almost one article per hour.

That mixed with pro-this and anti-that, videos of extreme violence and racism, animal abuse, also spam clickbait.

I wonder really what the allure of facebook is now. Maybe there is a reason why I am not connected to people from 20 years ago, and maybe that is a good thing.

You can un-follow or even un-friend anyone on FB. Easiest to just un-follow - then you see nothing the post and they have no clue.

You could say the same thing about the whole internet.

It depends on you, how it is used and your network of friends and acquaintances.

If your network of friends that don't post anything to it, that's your set of friends. Nothing wrong or right about it.
If you only have [censored] friends posting stuff you don't care about, it's also in your control to either unfriend or ignore them rather then complain about it?

Also,
Just because your social life and network may have shifted gears, doesn't mean that so did everyone else's. Like go try to visit the mall on weekends or anywhere where young people hang out, perhaps see a college campus while in session or a bar or club on friday or saturday.

Guess what, you are now OLD and a new generation of young people socializing and doing what you may expect them to and using social networks like you may have done in previous years.

Last edited:
My point is that facebook is becoming less about faces, and sharing stories and photos.

It is becoming people's method to influence others, spread hate and nonsense.

I scroll through a bunch of ads and nonsense, I could unfollow everything pretty much and it would pop back up.

Just to see a few photos of my little cousins, or my friend and his wife on their honeymoon.

I might start sending my aunt and uncle in New York photos that I had printed out, and send them in the mail, seriously.

I agree. I've never been a heavy user, but I've enjoyed posting stuff about trips, food, other occasions, babies, etc., and seeing what others are doing. I also enjoy having a way to see other long-distanced acquaint enhances of old, who I really fell apart from.

But I can't stand the political or other agendas. I can't stand when people all changed to rainbow flag overlays for gay marriage, during election time and similar times, it can be extra annoying. Just show yourself, give a quick synopsis of what you do and what you're up to, and then enjoy seeing others' big days and kids and other events.

yea not a bad thing.
If there's nobody left in your social network posting anything interesting for you, then you should leave too.
But doesn't mean that everybody's facebook pages are that way...

Presently, I am trying to make friends outside of Facebook while applying the same principles.

Therefore, every day I go down on the street and tell the passers-by what I have eaten, how I feel, what I have done the night before and what I will do tomorrow night. Then I give them pictures of my family, my dog and me gardening and spending time in my pool. I also listen to their conversations and I tell them I love them.

And it works.

I already have 3 persons following me: 2 police officers and a psychiatrist.

Ed

You use Facebook? Interesting. I've heard that other people use it as well. There must be something to it. I guess if you're not on Facebook you're out in the cold. For me it's a blessing to get away from others and have some quiet time.

I follow many different pages on Facebook - pages about cars, motorcycles, bicycles, guns, news networks...even motor oil
smile.gif

So, for me, it's less about seeing what an old ex girlfriend ate for dinner last night, and more about getting local, national and world news, as well as updates about some of the things I like.

I also use it to spread the word about upcoming bicycle rides, motorcycle rides, runs, etc.

Annoying "friends"? Just un-follow.

I still have a Facebook account, but I hardly ever use it anymore.

I joined Facebook because some friends of mine were on Facebook and I started to receive an incredible amount of email. Facebook itself is sort of silly in my opinion. And a big waste of time. I really do not see how it is better than just using email and the telephone with friends. I kept getting, through my email, all of these friend requests from people I did not even know. Every day I had to check out all of the emails and try to decide whether I wanted to accept somebody as a new friend. I worked with so many people over the years at work I often did not know if I knew the people or not. They knew people that knew my friends or some of them had worked with me a long time ago in the past.

Plus Facebook, and Twitter, have become considerable security risks.

I knew a woman who was the service manager of an auto repair company and she said she had quit Facebook also. In my opinion, it is a huge waste of time.

Email and the telephone are good enough for me.

I seriously forgot my Facebook password. Its been like four years. Facebook sends me emails every once in a blue moon begging me to look and see what other people didn't like to eat, but I'm bad at reading those too.

The only reason I leave it up, is because it makes myom happy to see what I've been staged in.

I'm less then 30 btw... I guess I'm the odd duck

The only reason I keep my Facebook account is in case I needed it for some reason. In case I needed to check something that was on Facebook. Otherwise I would almost never use it.

To my family out of state, and my friends with family/jobs/lives...it is a good way to catch up. I'm not going to call up a friend at midnight while his kids are sleeping....

I keep my circle small, and keep drama off.

It's like anything else in life....got to maintain it....

Never joined. Thought of it once or twice, but now I won't on the principle of it--held out this long, might as well keep holding out. Very few people I want to keep in touch with anyhow.

LinkedIn is one that I did join, and wish I hadn't, but is not that bad. Every couple years I update my profile. Probably makes sense though in case I ever need to job hunt though.

Last edited:
Facebook is grandma cool now,seriously grown men on Facebook fighting over what a celebrity may or may not have said. Then you have the paranoid freaks that think Monsanto is Isis, some of the stuff on BITOG belongs on Facebook instead!

Last edited:
Funny all the pro America payers have nothing to say about the fraud Mark Zuckerface.

My ex girlfriend from high school ran into my oldest sister and got my phone number.
frown.gif
She called me to say hello and ask why I didn't have a FB account, told her I really don't have time to be on FB.

LinkedIn is another site I have no interest in, all my contacts and colleagues work for the same company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back