BOSCH D3422 cut @ ~3k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
You can see the outlines of the ends of the pleats in the potting material, so it was obviously all assembled when it was soft enough for the pleats to "sink" deep into the potting material. Just a bad bond on the metal end cap side.

The glue will be flat and smooth when molded to the end cap, even if not bonded. It's not known how Purolator performs the glue media to cap step. Maybe the glue gets pulled up into the pleats as it cures.

Still not as bad as an EG/TG glue shedder. Those aren't Ultras you know. It's OK to see their defects.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
You can see the outlines of the ends of the pleats in the potting material, so it was obviously all assembled when it was soft enough for the pleats to "sink" deep into the potting material. Just a bad bond on the metal end cap side.

The glue will be flat and smooth when molded to the end cap, even if not bonded. It's not known how Purolator performs the glue media to cap step. Maybe the glue gets pulled up into the pleats as it cures.

Still not as bad as an EG/TG glue shedder. Those aren't Ultras you know. It's OK to see their defects.

I think it was a bad bond to the end cap as Zee said. The media has plenty of adhesive on it.

The potting material has to be viscous for the ends of the pleats to sink down that far into the material. I'm betting the whole media assembly is put together shortly after the potting material is applied.

Look at time 1:15. The media with the center tube is assembled, so the next step would have to be glue the end caps onto the media. Could be a number of factors on why the potting material doesn't adhere well to the metal. Just another manufacturing problem Purolator needs to figure out someday ... maybe.

Potting material going onto end cap first at time 0:58. I'm sure there's a time limit to when the media and end caps need to be put together after the potting material is applied to the end cap. Yeah, it's the Boss but the manufacturing process shouldn't really be any different.

Thanks for the videos. It is good to see Puro has an in process quality program. Somehow the manufacturing team is not observing and correcting this problem. I would think their CS department would want to get some failures back for analysis.

Look at time 1:15. The media with the center tube is assembled, so the next step would have to be glue the end caps onto the media. Could be a number of factors on why the potting material doesn't adhere well to the metal. Just another manufacturing problem Purolator needs to figure out someday ... maybe.

She needs one of us there pointing out the obvious gaps in the media.
whistle.gif

If machine oil film isn't cleaned from the end caps it could easily result in the phenomenon seen in this thread. As noted, this is highly unlikely to have affected functionality of the filter.

Third try. When you put glue on something, it molds to what you put it on. The end cap is flat and smooth, but the hardened glue is not, it appears. It could be capillary action of the media that pulls the glue up off the end cap, since the bonding is zero. I think it would leak.

Look good . Currently using this on my other brother car going ms state . With short trip from his apartment to college . Half a miles . Most time he rather use bike . It’s been over 9 month now. I show him how and should to check oil every fill up, the oil is full and look clean he say. He be home this week. Will have new oil and filter install . Same brand and weight and oil filter I use before .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back